• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I have just notice the changes to the Manly side on the Rugby News web site.
Dave Porecki / Chris Cocca to partner Mitch Lewis in the front row, Vaka Manu is back in the pack and Brian Sefanaia returns to the back line. They look very strong still??
There we go @coach some of those names I was thinking about. Woodhouse was another I was looking for

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
The Marlins still have work to do - they definitely switched off after half time and at least one soft try in first half. Swanepoel and Bergelin a couple of the best

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Results Summary Round 10

First Grade - Shute Shield
Sydney University 23 Randwick 23
Parramatta 37 West Harbour 29
Eastern Suburbs 12 Southern Districts 34
Manly 42 Eastwood 22
Warringah 34 Penrith 18
Northern Suburbs 44 Gordon 15 (Sunday Game)

Second Grade - Colin Caird Shield
Sydney University 21 Randwick 6
Parramatta 12 West Harbour 45
Eastern Suburbs 26 Southern Districts 17
Manly 27 Eastwood 29
Warringah 65 Penrith 10
Northern Suburbs 7 Gordon 36 (Sunday Game)

Third Grade - Henderson Shield
Sydney University 17 Randwick 19
Parramatta 10 West Harbour 32
Eastern Suburbs 22 Southern Districts 7
Manly 6 Eastwood 36
Warringah 53 Penrith 7
Northern Suburbs 32 Gordon 22 (Sunday Game)

Fourth Grade - Henderson Cup
Sydney University 17 Randwick 12
Parramatta 7 West Harbour 22
Eastern Suburbs 8 Southern Districts 6
Manly 22 Eastwood 26
Warringah 30 Penrith 28
Northern Suburbs 23 Gordon 7 (Sunday Game)

Next Week - Round 11 07/06/14
West Harbour v Gordon
Penrith v Northern Suburbs
Eastwood v Warringah
Randwick v Manly
Southern Districts v Sydney University
Parramatta v Eastern Suburbs

Edit: Sunday Game Results added

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Almost an anticlimax at Granville. The big fella was a no show! Didn't make much difference. Wests D very soft. There's a few blokes at Wests who frankly aren't up to 1st grade standard. And how Harrison Orr got dropped to 2s is a decision that I find bizarre.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
As a general comment regarding the Australian Barbarians. I'd like to get my hands on whatever drugs the selectors of this squad are on. Make my weekends a whole lot better than they already are. Some of the names I see there are beyond ludicrous.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
The 10 was good. Not sure I agree with Treweek being in 2nds though!
More a "problem " of depth and Phil Blake having the luxury of experimenting before he settles on his best his team I reckon. Sean's early form was good but BJ Hartman's has been better and he deserves the 15 in my view. With Daruda and Lucas to come back shame as it is I reckon there's no obvious easy way back in .

The juggernaut would be well familiar with the problem.

Eastwood were apparently strong in lower grades yesterday so it seems depth around a strong roster of individuals is one thing but it needs to translate to the team running out and MMM's are doing that in spades. Hope to get to Coogee next week to see completion of games against all opponents before the run into semis . I think Wicks may be toughest opponent yet

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
As a general comment regarding the Australian Barbarians. I'd like to get my hands on whatever drugs the selectors of this squad are on. Make my weekends a whole lot better than they already are. Some of the names I see there are beyond ludicrous.
PM the selectors asked club coaches to help them out by nominating players so they could field a team. Don't get too caught up on who played, it was simply a hit out for the U20's and selections were mainly down to availability by position.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
1 from 4 but gee allot can be taken way from yesterdays round.

Rocked up with 8 minutes to go in 4's against table topping Eastwood and we were up 22 - 12, in 8 minutes the game was decided and we went down 26 - 22. But the boys clearly played well and will put that one in the bank.

3rds - lost that one in the tight 5, and we have a few players in the tight 5 recuperating at the moment. We hung in there for a while but our set pieces started to feel the pressure and the Woodies played to this strength. We know we have a strong 3’s and will no doubt learn from that game.

2nds – 2 undefeated teams and it was decided on the siren, a game we didn’t want to lose. It was a relatively new back line combination this week with Fabian stepping up from colts again, and a 9 / 10 / 12 / 13 who hadn’t started together this year if I recall. Fabian had a huge first half, but seemed to quieten down in the second, and Squires was running some good lines and kicking goals from all over the place. The forwards played well, Mitch Daniels was strong in attack and defence and played that way for the full 80. Didn’t like losing that one, hope it’s the last.

1st we won. Some passes didn’t stick but we always supported the ball, we turned off for the first 10 minutes of second half.
But I and the crowd would have enjoyed the rugby that we played, there was cohesion and we built the phases and converted them into points.
Mitch Lewis had another huge game, hit the ball up got smashed, and then carted the ball up well over the add line in the next phase. A prop that goes the full 80.
Kotoni was always strong on the ball.
Bergo whether carting it up off a quick tap, sea gulling out wide, giving a good pass, or putting in a grubber - he can also score a try & defend, another good game
Swanapoel is throwing a great ball, keeps the D honest with good runs, and pulls off some huge hits.
Whilst Daruda didn’t play, how good were Sef and Maile.
The outside backs, gee tough selection I’d go with either (BJ / Treweek) depending on the opposition, I’d also like to see Northam on the flank, but with that who’d be the kicker - 17 points Chiz.

IMO rub of the green cost Manly 10 + points - Maraki / Chiz went over for meat pies that I think they should have been awarded. Lastly though I thought it was a well ref'd game with good advantages played.

So yes there is room for improvement, but that was well played yesterday, Wicks next week and they almost have the best D in the comp, and they are strong throughout the grades.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Thought fridays game was a cracker, Asa from the bench made a massive contribution. Pity the kick didnt make it at the end, but still a very enjoyable night. Even if the ref had a fairly odd evening...

Two blues were impressive on Saturday, some great forward play. West Harbour suffered when O'Sullivan had to come off but Two Blues would have been to strong either way.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)

From what I've heard it's a sort of club that once you're in you're in even if you end up playing 2nd grade. Also heard a lot of clubs declined the invite this time around being mid week mid season.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Almost an anticlimax at Granville. The big fella was a no show! Didn't make much difference. Wests D very soft. There's a few blokes at Wests who frankly aren't up to 1st grade standard. And how Harrison Orr got dropped to 2s is a decision that I find bizarre.

The snouts tell me that the Tahs released the big fella for the mid week Barbarians game but not the Shute Shield on Saturday. Apparently Parra weren't told about it until an hour before training on Thursday.

Shows you what the Tahs think of Shute Shield and western Sydney doesn't it.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Good. Would be interesting to see if he can cut down the big fella. I reckon full front on he'd be 90% but if he doesn't get contact right or side on then he would be in trouble. I watched the Woods Parra game on video and some of the Woods were not real keen on taking him on!

Neither would I!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
With the Friday night game and the Norths v Gordon game on Sunday it would have been possible to attend 3 games on the weekend. I know not all clubs have lighting / council permission for night games but maybe this should happen more often????

Status
Not open for further replies.