• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

turnovertwopasses

All i will say about tv coverage is that Manly , Uni , Eastwood and Warringah feature a lot

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The chicken entrails have been read. This weeks tips are:

Eastwood v Gordon. Woodies by 25+. Double meat to John Grant

West Harbour v Randwick. Wicks are desperate to stay in the 6. If they can run the Pirates fatties around, they will win by 10-15. If they get dragged into an arm wrestle in the piggies, then the margin will be <5.

Southern Districts v Penrith. The Emus let me down last week after I tipped them. The Hobbits at Forshaw are always strong and they will get the biscuits by 15-20.

Manly v Parramatta. Even if the big fella with the long name is playing, the MMM will scamper home by > 25 points. I can also predict that they will sell out of Olivers Pies.

Northern Suburbs v Sydney University. How many Soup players will trot out with the Corporation? Students by 20.

Warringah v Eastern Suburbs. Have the Beasties got another "Eastwood" match in them? Bolstered by their Soup players, this is my tip for the upset of the week. Beasts by <5.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The chicken entrails have been read. This weeks tips are:

Eastwood v Gordon. Woodies by 25+. Double meat to John Grant

West Harbour v Randwick. Wicks are desperate to stay in the 6. If they can run the Pirates fatties around, they will win by 10-15. If they get dragged into an arm wrestle in the piggies, then the margin will be <5.

Southern Districts v Penrith. The Emus let me down last week after I tipped them. The Hobbits at Forshaw are always strong and they will get the biscuits by 15-20.

Manly v Parramatta. Even if the big fella with the long name is playing, the MMM will scamper home by > 25 points. I can also predict that they will sell out of Olivers Pies.

Northern Suburbs v Sydney University. How many Soup players will trot out with the Corporation? Students by 20.

Warringah v Eastern Suburbs. Have the Beasties got another "Eastwood" match in them? Bolstered by their Soup players, this is my tip for the upset of the week. Beasts by <5.
Big Arse, I heard that McKibbon,Lance & Lam are all out.
With all due respect to the selected players, I think they are going to struggle at 9,10,12 This week.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dunno where you get your beer, BW, but I can assure you Reschs is still brewed by Carlton. Reschs Real and Reschs Pilsener (aka the silver bullet) are still readily available.

Two interesting points here:

1. Carlton seem to have an emotional attachment to their minnow brands and don't discard/delete them. Until recently Carlton Light, Reschs DA, Tooths KB (Kurtley Beale) (in the crinkly gold can), Carbine Stout and a coupla other daggy old brews were still on their books. Some years ago they had about 12 brands with less than 0.5% market share in NSW. Lion Nathan (Tooheys), on the other hand, shoot brands once they drop below 5%. Tooheys Classic, Hahn Longbrew, Tooheys Blue Bitter and Blue Bock, Sydney Bitter are all in the brewers' cemetery.

2. This will come as a shock so it might be best to have some strong drink to hand, Carlton no longer brew in New South Wales. Yes, that's right, that NSW standby, Reschs, is brewed at either Yatala in Queensland or Abbotsford in Melbourne. Same with Tooths KB (Kurtley Beale). Tooths Old is now called Kent Old Brown and is also brewed interstate. Bit hard to support Carlton when they don't have a brewery in Sydney, Australia's biggest city.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
IIRC KB (Kurtley Beale) stands for "Kent Brewery" (the one that used to be at Broadway, Chippendale)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Deegan looked the goods for Randwick today, looking forward to seeing Kellaway have a crack in first grade post his u/20s heroics. Dave Harvey cops a bit of flack but Wests are a considerably better side with him in the team

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
The thing that struck me today at Wests v Randwick was the massive difference between the two sides in terms of coaching. At set piece,particularly lineout Randwick look very well drilled. They've obviously put in a lot of work. Wests was the same old rubbish. Look like they had their first run together in the warm up. Randwick have definite patterns of play where players know exactly where to be to execute. Wests are mostly a schmozzle playing off the cuff stuff that occasionally results in something brilliant but usually just ends in confusion and turnovers. Respect to the coaching staff at the Wicks they certainly taught the Brave New World of West Harbour a lesson today.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Does anyone know how TV games are picked? Randwick v Wests seriously? Randwick have had so many TV games this year for an average team. Cheika conspiracy theories again?

Interesting from ABC Facebook - and looking towards the thirteenth round:

Round 1. Eastern Suburbs (1 game televised) Vs Randwick (1)
2. Gordon (1) Vs Eastwood (1)
3. Northern Suburbs (1) Vs. Southern Vs Districts (1)
4. Sydney Uni (1) Vs Manly (1)
5. Warringah (1) Vs Sydney Uni (2)
6. Manly (2) Vs. Warringah (2)
7. Randwick (2) Vs Southern Districts (2)
8. Eastwood (2) Vs Sydney Uni (3)
9. Manly (3) Vs Eastwood (2)
10. Eastwood (3) Vs Warringah (3)
11.Warringah (4) Vs Randwick (3)
12. West Harbour (1) Vs Randwick (4)
13. Sydney Uni (4) Vs West Harbour (2)

Two observations: Western Sydney stops at Concord and ....
it looks like the same firm who does the draw dabbles with the media decisions.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting from ABC Facebook - and looking towards the thirteenth round:

Round 1. Eastern Suburbs (1 game televised) Vs Randwick (1)
2. Gordon (1) Vs Eastwood (1)
3. Northern Suburbs (1) Vs. Southern Vs Districts (1)
4. Sydney Uni (1) Vs Manly (1)
5. Warringah (1) Vs Sydney Uni (2)
6. Manly (2) Vs. Warringah (2)
7. Randwick (2) Vs Southern Districts (2)
8. Eastwood (2) Vs Sydney Uni (3)
9. Manly (3) Vs Eastwood (2)
10. Eastwood (3) Vs Warringah (3)
11.Warringah (4) Vs Randwick (3)
12. West Harbour (1) Vs Randwick (4)
13. Sydney Uni (4) Vs West Harbour (2)

Two observations: Western Sydney stops at Concord and ..
it looks like the same firm who does the draw dabbles with the media decisions.
I do think round 4 - 11 being match of the round though, that's 8 outa 13

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Of course Match of the round is important and should make up the majority of TV games. But let's not forget that Rugby at this level is all about the clubs,the players obviously but also the coaches and managers through to the canteen staff and the blokes who pack away the gear while everyone else is having a beer. Not to mention the parents of the players that get on tv. For some clubs and some players a TV game is a Really Big Deal and I don't think it hurts to SHARE THE LOVE with everyone!

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I gotta say Concord looked magnificent today. A credit to the groundsmen. Some grounds in Club Land look like there was a B & S Ball held the previous day and the field was used by an army of drunken country V8 Ute fanatics doing circle work!!

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
What a shame you can't LIKE your own post because I just read that again and really LIKED it! You know what I'd LIKE right now?? A SLAB of RESCHS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.