• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Randwick were impressive 1st up I thought. The lean trot of the past few years could well have ended.

Good to see Manly coming away from Forshaw with a win - never easy down there.:)

Isn't that interesting: I thought that they were OK but nothing special. I would be surprised if either team is troubling the engraver in September.
Wicks pack looks very fit but small: if the beasts had played a tighter game (as they did for the first 10-15 of the 2nd half) they may have steam rolled the wicks on size alone.
i think the beasties centre pairing is not well balanced - perhaps too defensive minded and the 22 who came on looked quite toey.
On the props front the LHP is a converted back rower and it shows: bend zee knees as they say in Switzerland. Shoulders above the hips.
Credit to Kellaway who scored a meat pie with his second touch.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I went to see the Rats whack the West Harbour lads today 39-18 after winning 2nd grade 27-24 on the bell and getting whacked themselves in third grade.

Surprisingly their scrum did OK against big bopper props M. Ala'alatoa and D.Lolohea.

Dave Harvey was the best for Harbour but he got stick from the fair-minded Rats crowd for leaving the team he played for last year.

The Rats backline combines well and their ball play is top notch. The forwards know what a turnover is all about, but they are missing a few bruisers and tall timber.

2013 Oz Schoolboy Harry Jones, a local lad, got on the park for the Rats from the bench in first grade. He played on the wing and got the goal-kicking gig.

Not a bad start for the Rats but Harbour looked poor at times.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I went to see the Rats whack the West Harbour lads today 39-18 after winning 2nd grade 27-24 on the bell and getting whacked themselves in third grade.

Surprisingly their scrum did OK against big bopper props M. Ala'alatoa and D.Lolohea.

Dave Harvey was the best for Harbour but he got stick from the fair-minded Rats crowd for leaving the team he played for last year.

The Rats backline combines well and their ball play is top notch. The forwards know what a turnover is all about, but they are missing a few bruisers and tall timber.

2013 Oz Schoolboy Harry Jones, a local lad, got on the park for the Rats from the bench in first grade. He played on the wing and got the goal-kicking gig.

Not a bad start for the Rats but Harbour looked poor at times.
He wasn't happy about it either

image.jpg

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I have no idea what was said.
But he deadset popped a valve.
I have seen him ignore taunts for two years, but this struck a nerve big time
It had to be out of order.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was at half-time as the players were coming into the tunnel. He was ropeable and so were his team mates.

I didn't hear what was said, though I was sitting right by the Rats tunnel. Come to think of it—it was odd seeing him go through the home tunnel. I think he approached it to speak to the Rats officials.

One of the funniest things I have seen at Rat Park was Danny Cipriani running to the tunnel at half time, but it led to the visitors change room; so he had to side-step and go the other way.

PS it was good to see Mark Gerrard at the game. I'd like to see him on the park.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One if my all time fav Rats players Lee.
I heard he is going back to Japan shortly, but has made his mark as a coach in the last month down there.
Love to see him back full time in any capacity.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Look fair enough you have a crack at the guy for leaving your club etc but there is a line you draw as a spectator in regards to banter. Racially abusing someone or degrading family members is certainly not on. That sort of behaviour should be reported.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A really good start for Manly at Foreshore today. As has been said it is always difficult there.

The day started well with both 3's and 4's having big wins. Both these sides have a lot of talent and should do well this year. The 2's had the performance of the day IMO. They played well to have a good lead at half-time but then had to withstand a Souths fight back and a horrendous penalty count. They had to play the last 10 minutes with 13 players and only a 6 point lead. Guts and effort saw them hold out and eventually get a penalty right on full- time which they converted from half- way for a good 9 point win.

First grade, looking a bit rusty at times, played well for a 43-28 win. A big and classy side they will improve with the outing and look forward to the trip to Parramatta next week.

4 wins, all with bonus points, against strong sides away from home. A good start and hopefully they will go on from here.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes a great day, what that score line doesn't show is that Souths were fielding a strong side and 14 of there points came in the last 5 minutes.

Very clinical in all grades, and the platform was set in the first half when good points were put on the board running into a good wind.

Forwards won in the loose and created the go forward that provided the space for the backs, out wide there was plenty of speed today.

Ed Gower had a huge game, his bullocking run that lead to a try was a game changer.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
It was classic Parramatta white knuckle stuff. Attack from your own in goal, take the quick tap 20 out right in front whilst 2 behind, chip for yourself in your own 22, flick pass to the bloke who was there a second ago. It's frustrating, annoying, exasperating but shit it's entertaining. Gordon were brilliant and flooded the after match in big numbers in 'Blueys Bar' at Merrylands RSL, stealing the boat race on the last gulp. I love club rugby and today was a brilliant example at MRSL Rugby Park and Blueys bar after. Well done both clubs!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
.Isn't that interesting: I thought that they were OK but nothing special.

For the first game of the season I thought it was a good performance, certainly much better than we've seen from the men in green recently. Easts didn't offer much in any facet of the game, except maybe the lineouts.

Isn't the silverware already at the engravers?;)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Watched the Easts V Randwick game - Easts looked good in phases - Lala Lam played really well - better than anything I saw him do last year, there big no.8 needs to get abit more aggression, run abit harder, use his weight more - def need some front rowers - saying that I think Randwick need some back-rowers - was not impressed with the guys they had - unless there are a heap of injuries to their 1st grade back row?

Howitz (spelling may be wrong) the no.10 for the Wicks - future Wallabies 10?

Also are Penrith much improved or were Uni just messy????

Status
Not open for further replies.