• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevor cork

Stan Wickham (3)
re the Rats/Parra game, I don't believe the Rats used any of their bench, can someone confirm, if so, is that unusual? and, could it be seen as a good sign that the 15 starters can put in a whole 80.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
That sounds very odd. Very risky too. If it becomes a habit then they might find a lot of 2nds players back door it out of the joint and who could blame them? It's very annoying to be asked to sit on the bench and not get a run. A lot of coaches are guilty of doing that and I don't think they realise the level of ill will that creates.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Just the normal Eastern Suburbs bullshit Big Arse.
Apparently their neighbours from Woollahra are selling chicken satay rolls,and wagyu beef burgers.
The most palatable things on the menu are still good old fries,or meat pie in a plastic bag according to my travelling gourmet critic.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That sounds very odd. Very risky too. If it becomes a habit then they might find a lot of 2nds players back door it out of the joint and who could blame them? It's very annoying to be asked to sit on the bench and not get a run. A lot of coaches are guilty of doing that and I don't think they realise the level of ill will that creates.
Used to happen before "tactical" subs were allowed.
Just the normal Eastern Suburbs bullshit Big Arse.
Apparently their neighbours from Woollahra are selling chicken satay rolls,and wagyu beef burgers.
The most palatable things on the menu are still good old fries,or meat pie in a plastic bag according to my travelling gourmet critic.
I've never understood wagyu beef burgers - or wagyu generally now i come to think of it - but in a burger isn't it just saying here's some mince with a lot of fat in it?

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I would post the video but last time I posted something on a forum everyone got access to my youtube account so I'm a bit reluctant.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
What happened to Parra 2nd Grade? They were in it then collapsed, their coach wouldn't be too thrilled.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Normally he rolls the bench out,it was a much tighter game than the scoreboard reflected.i think the Rats were behind with less than 10 to go?
The first XV are entitled to game time as well!

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Aaah - reminiscing. I remember when you could not leave the field unless a medico of some sort confirmed you were injured enough to depart the contest. Basically, if your Jersey was rucked to shreds, your left ear was torn off and your ac joint had parted it was "play on".
That's how I remember it anyway.
PS proving how old I am. I also remember this strange practice where the forwards in formation would have the ball on the ground and run forward dribbling the ball ahead. The idea was that any opposition who fell on the ball would get rucked back to the Paleolithic era (we were practicing this in the Neolithic era);)

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
If you want to see the Harvey incident go to vimeo. Type in West Harbour Pirates and it's about the last video. The one where you can see Wests standing in defence. 20 min mark. I just noticed the same bloke hits Harvey with a nasty no arms tackle just moments before. Classy guy!!

DTS

Stan Wickham (3)
If you want to see the Harvey incident go to vimeo. Type in West Harbour Pirates and it's about the last video. The one where you can see Wests standing in defence. 20 min mark. I just noticed the same bloke hits Harvey with a nasty no arms tackle just moments before. Classy guy!!

ouch - that looks very nasty indeed. Would be interested in consequences - no room for that at any level.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
From what I have heard, it deserved a yellow card, so I don't believe it compares at all to the Gower incident.

Thanks @Paul Martin - now I've seen it.
Gowers was a closed fist rack off from the side because he was being held back.
Uni was a straight up shoulder charge number one, then a straight elbow to the head.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Fucking wingers,the only reason they score any tries,is because they are marked by other wingers!
Rule of thumb,big winger,small heart.
He certainly fits the stereotype!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Thanks @Paul Martin - now I've seen it.
Gowers was a closed fist rack off from the side because he was being held back.
Uni was a straight up shoulder charge number one, then a straight elbow to the head.

The 'shoulder charge' incident is not as bad as it is made out to be however the Uni player might have to answer for the elbow to the throat ... not the head. The ongoing talk about the incidence has taken away from what seems to be a good hard physical game of rugby. After watching the video there were 9 tries scored between the two clubs in horrible conditions.

The Wests back line can really threaten with ball in hand especially O'Sullivan he is definitely one to watch for this season. Uni forward pack really controlled the game with another dominant performance at Scrum time over a much heavier Wests pack. Big game for both clubs next week to stay intact with the leading pack.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks for that. As someone said earlier. No one wants dickheads playing our game. That was the effort of a dickhead. BUT - remedial discipline from the club is just as important as judiciary. I am hoping for both.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Hey. Watching that game at Concord reminds me of the 87 world cup. Remember Topo stamping on the foot of opposition at line out? WTF?
Also reminds me that however bad the our current HQ may be at times (I also think they are pretty good) they are NOT Ken Elphick!

Moonball

Stan Wickham (3)

I have seen many yellow cards given for shoulder charges, add this to the yellow or red for the elbow to the head and Uni are down to 14 players after 20mins. They then take a player off the scrum to cover the backline in defence and their scrum is not so dominant. All of a sudden you have a completely different game of rugby with probably a changed final result.

I have to question what the two officials that were right there were doing during both these incidents. From the video and live the referees assistant appeared to watch both incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.