• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTS

Stan Wickham (3)
What an atmosphere at manly oval yesterday. Never mind the numbers which I have heard to be around 7k, but the noise what was distinguished it from tahs game for mine - supporters who really care about the result. Manly are doing something right - in particular it's not easy to keep a team of strata who are relegated to reserve grade happy - but they seem to be buying into the club mentality - showing in results and in the club championship points. A good culture in manly

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What an atmosphere at manly oval yesterday. Never mind the numbers which I have heard to be around 7k, but the noise what was distinguished it from tahs game for mine - supporters who really care about the result. Manly are doing something right - in particular it's not easy to keep a team of strata who are relegated to reserve grade happy - but they seem to be buying into the club mentality - showing in results and in the club championship points. A good culture in manly

Coaches, Captains, and Trainers - I'm sure there is allot of bonding that takes place;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/J-Train-Athletic-Performance-and-Personal-Training/224663597580486
Bonding / Culture / Team / Success

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sorry to see Alex Northam not there yesterday. He would be one of the most exciting wingers around with his pace. I note Harry Jones did well yesterday and it is interesting to compare (still take Alex though).

One point, and it's a personal one, is that I would like to think that the play of 2nd grade this year is keeping plenty of pressure on first grade to perform. It's a nice situation to have the reserve players equal to the incumbent. The club has some serious depth at the moment.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Some great photos on Manly website. The facial expressions on the 2 young St Augustine's kids on the sideline in the Richard Hooper try sequence are priceless (you can never be too close to the action at that age) .They'll be rugby supporters for life

Nice shots of the Marlin's faithfull's passion on the hill too

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great game saturday, unfortunately the bad guys won but well deserved. Just quietly what's going on out west? Parra and Penrith 3 point difference, struggling parra or powerful emus?

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Great game saturday, unfortunately the bad guys won but well deserved. Just quietly what's going on out west? Parra and Penrith 3 point difference, struggling parra or powerful emus?

Went along to Merrylands as time caught up with me and I would have barely made 1st grade if I had gone to Manly.
Glad I did, great day. 2's was close until the sin binning and 1's was fantastic game.
Emus have some really good players this year, thats twice I've seen them and Toleafoa and the McKenzie boys are going to go further in this game.
They maybe lack a bit of finesse in some aspects of the game but the Emus pack is big and powerful. Mate also looks good in a much improved backline - KJ showing why he made a name for himself in comps like the aboriginal knock-out.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bodes well for the Greater Sydney NRC team, at first I was thinking the riff might contribute 1 or 2 token players but they do seem to be pushing people this year. Good to see

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Some great photos on Manly website. The facial expressions on the 2 young St Augustine's kids on the sideline in the Richard Hooper try sequence are priceless (you can never be too close to the action at that age) .They'll be rugby supporters for life

Nice shots of the Marlin's faithfull's passion on the hill too

How about the facial expressions of the old St Augustine boy that was playing. Great photography

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
1st Grade was a terrific game and Gordon showed the same tough grit that they showed against Randwick. Very hearty victory - I'm glad you enjoyed the tweets. Can report that Gordon 2nd Grade defeated Easts 2nd Grade 24-18. The NSW rugby website has got that wrong and the table is wrong as well. Gordon 2s have won 4/6 with a bonus point in each game.

Who were the top players for Gordon in 1st and 2nd grade I did not make it yesterday.

Anyone?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

I thought Penrith were impressive. They are a very big side and will threaten some of the lower teams yet. Their lineout needs work and probably cost them this game. They lost a number of their own throws and conceded 3 tries to lineout mauls including the match winning try with a minute to go.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I thought Penrith were impressive. They are a very big side and will threaten some of the lower teams yet. Their lineout needs work and probably cost them this game. They lost a number of their own throws and conceded 3 tries to lineout mauls including the match winning try with a minute to go.
Agree, they aren't far off upsetting teams well above them on the ladder.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Who were the top players for Gordon in 1st and 2nd grade I did not make it yesterday.

Anyone?

Nick Fraser, Ron Hobden and Mitch Greenway had strong games in the forwards against a much bigger easts pack (Lam & Gray were outstanding for Easts) and Terry Preston, Tom Matthews and Matt McDougall had stand out performances in the backline. Henry Carmichael was defending very well but unfortunately suffered a serious concussion - Erik Moss played strongly when he came on. The 2nd grade team had a very strong team performance again. There's healthy competition for spots between 1s and 2s, plenty of respect within the club at the moment. Good to see Gordon 2s in the top 4.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Nick Fraser, Ron Hobden and Mitch Greenway had strong games in the forwards against a much bigger easts pack (Lam & Gray were outstanding for Easts) and Terry Preston, Tom Matthews and Matt McDougall had stand out performances in the backline. Henry Carmichael was defending very well but unfortunately suffered a serious concussion - Erik Moss played strongly when he came on. The 2nd grade team had a very strong team performance again. There's healthy competition for spots between 1s and 2s, plenty of respect within the club at the moment. Good to see Gordon 2s in the top 4.

Ah Gordon 2's we'll have to watch out for them.
Huge difference in for and against between 2 & 3 so had to have a closer look.
Woods only got you by one point - and the woods are sort of doing okay in second grade. A definite side to be wary of i think, a win this week will put you in top 3.
Should make for a great day down on the beaches in 2 weeks, trusting all the North Shore folk will travel down the hill and make it a big day.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I said to one of their supporters that they probably wouldn't want to keep playing russian roulette defending lineouts on their line. I'm not sure if many opposing coaches wouldn't have noticed the same.
But, that said, they do have some good players. And some big players. Some of the big players are also good players.
Unfortunately for Penrith, we've seen this before. Player retention is a major problem. Not all would be targets for other SS clubs. I don't know what the answer is.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I said to one of their supporters that they probably wouldn't want to keep playing russian roulette defending lineouts on their line. I'm not sure if many opposing coaches wouldn't have noticed the same.
But, that said, they do have some good players. And some big players. Some of the big players are also good players.
Unfortunately for Penrith, we've seen this before. Player retention is a major problem. Not all would be targets for other SS clubs. I don't know what the answer is.

Agreed, the defensive lineout tactic was crazy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I remember now, did he move schools because TKS dropped him after he played in club semi-final or final and end up at Barker?

Regardless, he's one for the future.

There's more to it than that, which does him credit, but let's not rake over old coals, because it serves no purpose, just as it didn't back when it happened and people were talking rubbish.

I'm glad that Harry did well starting in First Grade at his age. What we haven't seen from Harry in that TV game, or his stints from the bench in earlier rounds, is his big point of difference: his abiltiy to hoof the ball with both feet a long way.

We will see that later when he plays fullback, his best position, but meantime he is playing wing as most young back three players should coming into Grade rugby a little before their time.

It may be a while before we see him start again unless Brad Dixon hasn't recovered from his honeymoon, but as you say: he is one for the future.

He always was.

Status
Not open for further replies.