• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tahs have the bye.

How many Waratah players will be trotting around in the Shute Shield games this weekend?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah I know, was it an EPS he had at the Tahs?
He also had some time at Manly as well. I'm please he has been given an opportunity in the Southern Hemisphere and grasped it.
I can only comment on the games I saw him play whilst at Manly, given the Tahs uncertainty with wingers it may have paid to keep him but that is hindsight now.

He was big and fast, but turned slowly (and unwillingly) in defence and had a tendency to try to kick and chase rather than run when he played at Randwick. Apparently he ran into Visa problems and a drink driving disqualification in England and was cut by Exeter as a result. He's been playing in Japan for the last 3 years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There's more info here, from the Tahs:

Magners Shute Shield Media Release
Wednesday May 7, 2014

Magners Shute Shield Round 7 Preview: ‘Wrecking ball’ Naiyaravovo to make union debut for Parra
By Jack McIlroy Reid

League convert and Waratahs’ new signing Taqele Naiyaravoro will make his rugby union debut for Parramatta this Saturday in the Two Blues’ Round 7 Magners Shute Shield clash with the mighty Woodies.

Nicknamed the ‘wrecking ball’ for his colossal 120kg and 190cm frame, Naiyaravoro last week left Wests Tigers and gets his first chance to impress Tahs’ coach Michael Cheika at TG Millner this Saturday when he will run out at inside centre in his first game of rugby union since his schooldays in Fiji.

Naiyaravoro trained with his new team mates for the first time yesterday and made a huge impression on the Two Blues’ head coach.

“He defies logical physics!” exclaimed Gerrard Fasavalu. “He trained with us mid-week - someone that size shouldn’t be moving that fast. He’s bigger than most of our forwards, I’m certainly glad he’s on our team and not the opposition.”

Despite what he called “devastating pace”, Fasavalu says he wasn’t tempted to use Naiyaravoro on the wing against Eastwood. “At 12 he will get more ball and be able to read the game better, it is for his own development.

“The modern game is about developing smart footballers and we want to accelerate this young man’s learning and prove that he is not all brawn but has a rugby brain too.”

Fasavalu also says that whilst Naiyaravoro will clearly benefit from game-time, his new team-mates are already learning a lot from the high-profile code-switcher. “He’s an inspiring player. His (early) transaction to union has been effortless and he proved that by training really well. He got on excellently with the boys and made a real effort. He really enjoyed himself and gave everyone a massive boost.”

Having so far won three and lost three, the Two Blues sit sixth on the overall ladder and Fasavalu knows that there is still plenty of room for improvement.

“We’re progressing week by week and that’s important. We’ve also been focusing on our defence because a good attacking side wins matches but a good defensive side wins championships.

Although I’d love to make the top six, it’s important we don’t spend too much time focusing on August and neglect thinking about the weekend. Eastwood present a huge challenge but we’re looking forward to it.”

Naiyaravoro’s inclusion is one of four changes to the Parra starting XV that beat Penrith last weekend, with Evan Olmstead starting at lock and Justin Paulo and Chris Nay starting at wing and fullback respectively.

After last weekend being beaten by Souths away for the first time since 2011, the second-placed Woodies will be looking to get back to winning ways when they return home to TG Millner this weekend, fielding an unchanged side.

With the NSW Waratahs enjoying a Super Rugby bye weekend, Tahs players and club fans alike will relish their return to club rugby. Randwick welcomes back Matt Carraro, who starts at outside centre for the Wicks’ ABC TV match of the round against Souths.

The Galloping Greens will be looking to keep up with the top four after last weekend slipping up against West Harbour and also include fellow Tahs Stephen Hoiles and David Horwitz, plus Liam Windon, in their starting XV.

Souths put their slow start to the season behind them with an exhilarating win over Eastwood last week and bring in Chris O’Reilly and Sasa Tofilau as they look for their fourth game on the bounce.

Watch a video preview of this match on Shute Shield TV.

Tahs pair Brendan McKibbin and Tala Gray start for Eastern Suburbs in their bottom-of-the-table clash against Penrith. Cooper Chapman, Billy Johnston and Darcy Etritch also return for the Beasties.

After narrowly missing out to Parramatta in last weekend’s western derby, the Emus will be looking to record their first win of the campaign and make two changes, with Paea Siualangapo replacing Sione Pusi'aki Fifita and Michael Mate coming in for Makajau Zelezniak.

Elsewhere, Sydney University looks to build on an impressive win over Norths, with coach Chris Malone making six changes, including the entire front row, as he welcomes back a handful of Super Rugby players. Fresh from last week’s victory over the Hurricanes, NSW pair Jeremy Tilse and Tolu Latu return to club duty, as does fellow Tah Pat McCutcheon. Tom Robertson, Chris Ingate and Jack Macklin are also handed starts for the journey to Gordon.

The Highlanders pipped Eastern Suburbs in a tight affair last Saturday but still find themselves just three points clear of the foot of the ladder. Aritema Ralulu and Andrew Chapman come into the pack whilst Erik Moss replaces Haney Carmichael at flyhalf.

West Harbour’s difficult start to the season continues with the visit of Warringah. The Pirates though will be buoyed last weekend’s solid win over Randwick and the naming of an unchanged side.

After suffering their first loss of the season last weekend at the hands of the Marlins, the Rats will be looking to regain top spot, as they welcome back Bradley Dixon on the wing and lock Michael Ritchie.

Finally, on Sunday, Northern Suburbs will have to manage without captain Nick Lah when they welcome top- of-the-table Manly in a game that will be streamed live and in HD online atwww.clubrugbytv.com.au from 3pm. Lah is replaced in the front row by Connor Healy, with the team’s captain not confirmed until tomorrow.

Healy is joined in the starting XV by Cristian Cage and Waratah Cam Crawford. The Marlins meanwhile are without Tim Fairbrother, Greg Peterson and Brian Sefanaia, the trio replaced by John Baranyi, captain Ed Gower and Malietoa Hingano.

As always, the 2014 competition will be broadcast live on ABC1 throughout NSW and the ACT on Saturdays from 3pm. Interstate viewers can watch a full replay of each week’s Shute Shield game at 3.30am on Tuesday mornings on ABC1 nationally and rugby fans everywhere can catch all the action online at anytime on ABC iView.

A full fixtures list, together with weekly previews and all the results and round by round team lists can be found at www.nswrugby.com.au.

For up to the minute scores and all the weekly results, previews and reviews, don’t forget to follow the competition on Facebook at Shute Shield and twitter at @ShuteShield. Highlights and previews of every round are also available on the Shute Shield YouTube channel.

Magners Shute Shield Round 7 matches

Saturday May 10

Eastwood v Parramatta @ T.G.Millner Field, 3:00pm
Eastwood: 1. Jed Gillespie, 2. Hugh Roach, 3. Guy Millar, 4. Steve Cummins, 5. Andrew Clyne, 6. Michael Kovacic, 7. George Kent, 8. Hugh Perrett, 9. Mick Snowden, 10. Pierre Hola, 11. Nick Batger, 12. Tom Hill, 13. Michael McDougall, 14. Ben Shorter, 15. Ben Batger.

Parramatta: 1. Nick Blacklock, 2. Liu Taituave, 3. Simon Lemalu, 4. Evan Olmstead, 5. Sakaria Noa, 6. Andrew Cox (c), 7. Rodney Ma'a, 8. Josh Kaifa, 9. Kaleb Rech, 10. Sam Yakopo, 11. Justin Paulo, 12. Taqele Naiyaravoro, 13. Lani Tiatia, 14. Alex Samoa, 15. Chris Nay.

Referee: Richard Goswell

Gordon v Sydney University @ Chatswood Oval 3:00pm
Gordon: 1. Aritema Ralulu, 2. Ron Hobden, 3. Nick Fraser, 4. Ruiradh Wilson, 5. Andrew Chapman, 6. Jack Maguire, 7. Mitch Greenway, 8. Malelili Vukinamualevu, 9. Terry Preston (c), 10. Erik Moss, 11. Brandon Quinn, 12. Tom Matthews, 13. Matt McDougall, 14. Xavier McCoy, 15. Sione Ala.

Sydney University: 1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Tolu Latu, 3. Tom Robertson, 4. Harry Marples, 5. Tom Heslop, 6. Patrick McCutcheon, 7. David Hickey, 8. Tom Boidin (c), 9. Jake Gordon, 10. Daniel Kelly, 11. Henry Clunies-Ross, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Chris Ingate, 14. James Dargaville, 15. Jack Macklin.

Referee: Ian Smith

Penrith v Eastern Suburbs @ Nepean Rugby Park 3:00pm
Penrith: 1. Daniel Arona, 2. Ethan Robinson Mate (c), 3. Nigel Vaifale, 4. Paea Siualangapo, 5. Senio Toleafoa, 6. Dave Reopoama, 7. John Waititi, 8. Tyrone Viiga, 9. Notise Tauafao, 10. Robbie Mate, 11. Wilson Silipa, 12. Michael Mate, 13. KJ McKenzie, 14. Jerome McKenzie, 15. Solomona Silipa.

Eastern Suburbs: 1. Cooper Chapman, 2. Billy Johnston, 3. Michael Fakava, 4. Gab Passmore, 5. Phil Mathers, 6. Richard Stanford, 7. Ben Willis, 8. Tala Gray, 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Henry Hudson, 11. Damon Anderson, 12. Anton La Vin (c), 13. Daniel Gallagher, 14. Will Paterson, 15. Darcy Etrich.

Referee: Jamie McGregor

Randwick v Southern Districts @ Coogee Oval 3:00pm LIVE ON ABC TV
Randwick: 1. Toa Asa, 2. Alex Walker, 3. Tristan Goodbody, 4. Dan Falefa, 5. Will Munro, 6. Sam Figg, 7. Tom Connor, 8. Stephen Hoiles, 9. Harry Boileau, 10. David Horwitz, 11. Ethan Ford, 12. Kuki Ma'afu, 13. Matt Carraro, 14. Tim Wright, 15. Liam Windon.

Southern Districts: 1. Duncan Chubb, 2. Maile Nguamo, 3. Tim Metcher, 4. Andrew Leota, 5. Marcus Carbone, 6. Sam Latunipulu, 7. Kieran Black, 8. Jed Holloway (c), 9. Chris O'Reilly, 10. Rohan Saifoloi, 11. Sasa Tofilau, 12. Ollie Samuela, 13. Denny Godinet, 14. Ben Connelly, 15. Richie Williams.

Referee: Michael Hogan

West Harbour v Warringah @ Concord Oval 3:00pm
West Harbour: 1. Michael Ala’alatoa, 2. Ryan Dalziel, 3. Dave Lolohea, 4. Harrison Orr, 5. Phil Manukeu, 6. Tom Games (c), 7. Cohen Masson, 8. Matt Coles, 9. Rob Cattanach, 10. Dave Harvey, 11. Joel Brooks, 12. Henry Seavula, 13. Rory Sidey, 14. Tito Mua, 15. Usaia O'Sullivan.

Warringah: 1. Richard Southan, 2. Luke Holmes (c), 3. Wayne Borsak, 4. Tristan Stanley, 5. Michael Ritchie, 6. Martin Collins, 7. Boyd Killingworth, 8. Sam Crompton, 9. Joshua Holmes, 10. Hamish Angus, 11. Bradley Dixon, 12. Tui Tuisavaii, 13. Michael Adams, 14. Sireli Tagicakibau, 15. David Feltscheer.

Referee: William Houston

Sunday May 11
Northern Suburbs v Manly @ North Sydney Oval 3:00pm LIVE ONLINE AT www.clubrugbytv.com.au
Northern Suburbs: 1. Kevin McNamara, 2. Will Weeks, 3. Conner Healy, 4. Matt White, 5. Michael O'Hea, 6. James Cunningham, 7. Hugh Sinclair, 8. Michael Wells, 9. Christian Cage, 10. Jack Grant, 11. Cameron Crawford, 12. Jackson Selby, 13. Jac Cameron, 14. Tom Redden, 15. Mitch Walton.

Manly: 1. Mitch Lewis, 2. David Porecki, 3. John Baranyi, 4. Ed Gower (c), 5. Ryan Melrose, 6. Harry Bergelin, 7. Kotoni Ale, 8. Dylan Sigg, 9. Matt Lucas, 10. Marshall Milroy, 11. Alex Northam, 12. Scott Daruda, 13. Malietoa Hingano, 14. Lui Siale, 15. Shaun Treweek.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Watched all four grades at Concord. Manly obviously incredibly strong but you have heard it here first, there is a centre playing in the lower grades for Manly by the name of Jonathan Fakai that should be playing at the highest levels of the game. As an opposition supporter I cringed every time he got the ball.
I believe he was involved with the Sea Eagles on the dark side but whatever needs to happen to give this guy a chance at representative level needs to be done. I was lucky enough to see the great man Jonah Lomu in action close up and the similarities are there for all to see.
Honestly, I don't know the guy and I support the opposition, just don't want to see a special talent like this lost in lower grades.

Saw more of J Fakai last week and he had another good game making Manly's team of the week, Great write up on Maile here as well;

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/rugby-news-profile-manly-marlins-malietoa-hingano/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 7 tips (for what they are worth)

Eastwood v Parramatta. I'm going the hail mary tip for 2 Blues Upset.
Gordon v Sydney University. Uni win by lots.
Penrith v Eastern Suburbs. Beasties by 15.
Randwick v Southern Districts. Hobbits to win by 5-10.
West Harbour v Warringah. Rats by 10.
Northern Suburbs v Manly. Marlins by a truckload.

All the Visitors.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Round 7 tips (for what they are worth)

Eastwood v Parramatta. I'm going the hail mary tip for 2 Blues Upset.
Gordon v Sydney University. Uni win by lots.
Penrith v Eastern Suburbs. Beasties by 15.
Randwick v Southern Districts. Hobbits to win by 5-10.
West Harbour v Warringah. Rats by 10.
Northern Suburbs v Manly. Marlins by a truckload.

All the Visitors.

I think the Emus are due for a win.

Fingers crossed for your Hail Mary tip :)

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rats will come back strong I think, don't win 5 games on the trot without having some resilience. Penrith for their first win, from what i've heard easts have been pretty rubbish and Penrith have had tough(ish) teams up early this year. Talking to supporters of other clubs it seems Penrith are a legit threat.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Rats will come back strong I think, don't win 5 games on the trot without having some resilience. Penrith for their first win, from what i've heard easts have been pretty rubbish and Penrith have had tough(ish) teams up early this year. Talking to supporters of other clubs it seems Penrith are a legit threat.

I agree about Penrith.
They have some big mobile forwards and backs who can create try scoring opportunites. They just need to improve the basics ie set plays and discipline and probably develop some self belief. I'd be worried about their depth though. I few injuries in 1sts will challenge them. The Tuipulotu family are doing a great job building the team. Unfortunately the poachers will be watching what's happening as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hoiles, carraro, Horwitz, windon, wright back for the ladies day clash at coogee oval , Wicks by 12.

There is no denying that the Wicks teamlist is strong, but I have a feeling in my waters about this game and the Hobbits.

I have had not much success this year in tipping in an objective manner, comparing team strengths and weaknesses, looking at previous results and analysing past form, and still Easts beats Norths, Gordon beat Wicks and the Beasts after getting towelled by the Woodies, who lost to the Hobbits last weekend. Go figure.

Might as well tip based on the colour of the Jockeys silks, the horses name, or the shape of the lacing on your empty beer glass (empty glass of MacLaren Vale Beer - of course!!!).

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
There is no denying that the Wicks teamlist is strong, but I have a feeling in my waters about this game and the Hobbits.

I have had not much success this year in tipping in an objective manner, comparing team strengths and weaknesses, looking at previous results and analysing past form, and still Easts beats Norths, Gordon beat Wicks and the Beasts after getting towelled by the Woodies, who lost to the Hobbits last weekend. Go figure.

Might as well tip based on the colour of the Jockeys silks, the horses name, or the shape of the lacing on your empty beer glass (empty glass of MacLaren Vale Beer - of course!!!).

My tipping's been 100% correct so far this year -- mind you I don't record them until 5pm on Saturday afternoon ;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Farting dust, HJ?

Yep. As I type, I can hear the McLaren Vale IPA's that are currently held hostage in the Man Cave beer fridge calling out for their freedom. I feel a transition to a nice Prickly Moses Farmhouse Ale after that to go along with the feet up watching the NZ Soup games.

Status
Not open for further replies.