• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They certainly do. They pay $110K per annum for the referees. I think given the standard of refereeing I witnessed this year, the clubs are entitled to ask what ROI they are getting.

SRU also pay the ABC around $120K per annum for the SS to be televised.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I was querying whether the salary costs could have been the referees. I'm guessing from your response that they're not and referee costs are listed separately.

Without more money to have more referee training, how do you make them better?

Refereeing should generally reflect the professionalism of the competition (because it should receive about the same attention as the playing/coaching/everything else).

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Grand Final Results is this the end of the Uni Domination of the Shute Shield?

1st Grade
Eastwood33vSouthern Districts13
2nd Grade
Sydney University13vManly34
3rd Grade
Sydney University31vWarringah8
4th Grade
Eastwood8vSydney University20

Or is it that most of the Super players didn't come back? Thanks to the NRC?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Or is it that most of the Super players didn't come back? Thanks to the NRC?

Not really to do with the NRC. Probably more players involved in the Wallabies such as Phipps, Foley, Skelton.

The Tahs winning Super Rugby also meant that more players weren't available to uni earlier in the finals.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not really to do with the NRC. Probably more players involved in the Wallabies such as Phipps, Foley, Skelton.

The Tahs winning Super Rugby also meant that more players weren't available to uni earlier in the finals.

The Corporation also have a few of their number at The Rebels.

With TT policy of having the Rebels contracted players playing locally, these were not able to bolster the ranks of The Buildcorps.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Bruce Ross, (or any other Uni aligned Gaggerlander), Are you out there?

Do you know what the project timeline is for the redevelopment of University Oval #2 for rectangular sports fixtures?

As beautiful a setting as Uni#1 oval is, with that bloody cricket pitch in the middle, "ovalness" of the ground, and location of the Grandstand (not to mention parking) it leaves a lot to be desired as a rugby venue. Credit where it is due, it does have very good lighting for night matches.

The proposal for #2 Oval development sounds exciting.

Yikes

Stan Wickham (3)
I think you'll find that the salary of Mr Worboys and the Competition Manager, the excellent Mrs Kane are heavily subsidised by SRU. Yes Mrs Kane is an employee of Subbies, but that's because they have more $$ than NSWRU. Therein lies the problem.

Mr Worboys at the start of this year, when advising the clubs of the funding cut indicated that SRU's salary bill was in excess of $100K. If they don't have any employees, then why Yikes are they forking out so much dough? I wait with anticipation for your response.

Yes, SRU subsidises them, but I already mentioned them both. So if you want to include them as SRU employees, fine. Now: who are the NSWRU employees, then!!? The point I was making stands - these are not organisations with anything more than a couple of people total and the general expectations of the NSW rugby community are unreasonable given this fact.
They certainly do. They pay $110K per annum for the referees. I think given the standard of refereeing I witnessed this year, the clubs are entitled to ask what ROI they are getting.
Ummm... no they don't. The bill for SRU referees is around $40k, as referees for all grades except Shute Shield are paid the princely sum of $25. You may be adding in the cost of communications equipment and/or jerseys, etc., or mixing up NSWRU and SRU (as I believe NSWRU has also covered the cost of Suburban Rugby's referees at the same fee).

I think given the standard of play and spectator behaviour witnessed this year, the referees are entitled to ask whether the $25 they are getting is fair.

Feel free to suggest SRU run without referees next season.

B

BellyTwoBlues

He'd know better than me;
what about the winger - Martin was it? Edit: Mick
Tony Melrose too young/too early?
Don Price???
I'm trying to defend the east north bias against a pretty sound attack here

Don't be so sure he's know better than you!!

None of those players, great they were, ever won the Rothmans. Tony Melrose was 18 when we won the SS in '77 and I believe captined the club the following year. Remarkable. Wouldn't happen today. Most 18/19 year olds these days are still in nappies emotionally.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Dunno if this has been covered, but why the hell does the Shute Shield use Mitre footballs? Seriously gives such a prestigious and awesome competition a bit of a unprofessional and cheap feel using Kmart balls.

A couple of years ago Gilbert bailed on the sponsorship of the competition and Mitre came in. As per last GM's meeting, I think there's 2 years to run on the Mitre partnership and Gilbert remain not interested.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Ummm. no they don't. The bill for SRU referees is around $40k, as referees for all grades except Shute Shield are paid the princely sum of $25. You may be adding in the cost of communications equipment and/or jerseys, etc., or mixing up NSWRU and SRU (as I believe NSWRU has also covered the cost of Suburban Rugby's referees at the same fee).

I think given the standard of play and spectator behaviour witnessed this year, the referees are entitled to ask whether the $25 they are getting is fair.

Sorry Yikes, but Knuckles is correct. At least according to the GM's meeting in January that I attended anyway. Bruiser Worboys told the clubs the ref's bill is over the $100K mark per annum.

As for your standard of play/spectator behaviour comment, I'll plead the 5th there Chief!

Night all, that'll do me. 5 mins here a month is enough for me.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, SRU subsidises them, but I already mentioned them both. So if you want to include them as SRU employees, fine. Now: who are the NSWRU employees, then!!? The point I was making stands - these are not organisations with anything more than a couple of people total and the general expectations of the NSW rugby community are unreasonable given this fact.

Ummm. no they don't. The bill for SRU referees is around $40k, as referees for all grades except Shute Shield are paid the princely sum of $25. You may be adding in the cost of communications equipment and/or jerseys, etc., or mixing up NSWRU and SRU (as I believe NSWRU has also covered the cost of Suburban Rugby's referees at the same fee).

The referee allowance is supposed to pay for costs incurred

When you consider the costs of whistles, boots, strapping, car upkeep, etc. the allowance barely scratches the surface.

Yikes

Stan Wickham (3)
Sorry Yikes, but Knuckles is correct. At least according to the GM's meeting in January that I attended anyway. Bruiser Worboys told the clubs the ref's bill is over the $100K mark per annum.

If he did, he's probably including the ancillary costs like communications equipment and clothing, as I said.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Not sure about clothing but yes, comms gear is included. Ther's been an argument from a member of the SRU for some years asking why should the clubs pay for the comms gear for ARU refs? Shouldn't the ARU be paying for the development of their refs

As far as I'm aware, that question is still to be answered.

B

BellyTwoBlues

The referee allowance is supposed to pay for costs incurred

When you consider the costs of whistles, boots, strapping, car upkeep, etc. the allowance barely scratches the surface.

should the clubs pay for ref's boots, strapping and car maintenance?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
should the clubs pay for ref's boots, strapping and car maintenance?

You can almost bet your bottom dollar that provision will be there for some pretty flash warm and waterproof branded "Look At Me, I'm Important" clothing for the Referees Association Executive Committee members, and some useless KMart special, cheap as dishwater, poorly stitched clothing item that is neither warm nor even showerproof for the actual referees that are providing the service to the clubs.

Isn't that the way it works?

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
You're missing the point of the NRC entirely.

Rugby fans need to get out there and support it because Australian rugby needs it to work to help build the depth to keep us competitive with South Africa and New Zealand.

It's about creating an opportunity for more players to play at a higher level and bridge the gap below Super Rugby whilst also improving the fringe Super Rugby players who don't get much opportunity outside of playing club rugby during the season.
Yes yes all of that . I said I thought the thinking behind it was laudable but it's prospects of success are problematic IMO and clubs are kicking in cash they can I'll afford to lose . Eastwood's decision to stay out is instructive. The absence of an NRC does not appear to have hampered the competitiveness of Australian soups and the resurgence of the Wallabies this year.......Will we be competing with Sth Africa below national level in a few years ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes yes all of that . I said I thought the thinking behind it was laudable but it's prospects of success are problematic IMO and clubs are kicking in cash they can I'll afford to lose . Eastwood's decision to stay out is instructive. The absence of an NRC does not appear to have hampered the competitiveness of Australian soups and the resurgence of the Wallabies this year...Will we be competing with Sth Africa below national level in a few years ?

The Rams has pretty much ended up as a private consortium from what I've heard. The clubs involved are providing varying levels of support and most of the players.

Australia's problem is we lack depth. Particularly in some key positions.

We are battling the loss of pretty good players overseas and the challenge is to try and create more local opportunities to keep players here and improve our rugby.

New Zealand has a production line of talent coming through the ITM Cup. Are the Shute Shield and Premier Rugby providing that?

Are half the Shute Shield clubs hanging together by barely a thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.