• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
The game was an odd one qwerty
Break away try at the end of first half made it 10-0 in what was a very close if uninspiring first 40
Some shocking lapses in 2nd made it seem much worse than it was for example the kick off not going 10 and north lock catching and getting a free run to line
9 and 10 for pirates can't play that bad again hopefully
Not much needed to make the team a contender for 6th spot this year

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's Tuesday afternoon, and still the NSWRU hasn't loaded up its results webpage. I've enjoyed going to this regularly in the last few years, to keep track of who's played in what grade and so on - now it seems to have all got too hard for the NSWRU.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
It's Tuesday afternoon, and still the NSWRU hasn't loaded up its results webpage. I've enjoyed going to this regularly in the last few years, to keep track of who's played in what grade and so on - now it seems to have all got too hard for the NSWRU.
The club are actually in charge of uploading their team lists. I'd suggest that the problem is actually with the new rugby link administration which clubs in NSW are not complying with, to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The club are actually in charge of uploading their team lists. I'd suggest that the problem is actually with the new rugby link administration which clubs in NSW are not complying with, to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know whose job it is to change it to 2015???
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/ShuteShield/Teamlists.aspx
I'm with Snortand look forward to seeing the team lists of each club.

The results are up though;
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/ShuteShield/DrawsResultsLadders.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Jarse-o-meter uses the detail from http://www.nswrugby.com.au/ShuteShield/DrawsResultsLadders.aspx to track the various stats I published on here last season.

I'm not sure if the NSWRU/SRU intend to still update the detail in that format because the clubs seem to be entering the data, rather haphazardly I might add using Rugby Link. While some team sheets are there, there is no detail as to who scored what. I guess it may be teething problems.

It is damn hard to find those results on Rugby Link.
Google is no help. If I can find the link to the Rugby Link website I'll post it here as an Edit.

EDIT: This should take you to a page for Shute Shield Easts vs Gordon 1st Grade http://rugbyunion.resultsvault.com/...spx?locx=MATCH&matchID=2140832&entityID=53029

Once on that page, follow your nose to click on the various drop down selections to go to other games or grades. It takes a while to get used to, and is not as simple or intuitive as the "old" system.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Once on that page, follow your nose to click on the various drop down selections to go to other games or grades. It takes a while to get used to, and is not as simple or intuitive as the "old" system.
I took a look at the Parra v Manly page - I am reasonably confident that the player numbering (for Parra at least) is inaccurate to say the least. I wasn't at the match but I just can't see Tukia Muli playing in the locking position even given his increased muscle mass this year, and while Nick Blacklock is quite mobile for a prop, I think that any selection meeting that resulted in him playing in the 7 jersey would have been a very convivial affair!

Still, mustn't grumble if this site provides some information at least.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have been told by the NSWRU folk that there are some bugs to iron out in the Rugby Link system.

"This week the Clubs (for the first time) are entering the results sheets on the new system and we are encountering some issues which is why the data is incomplete/confusing.

In a usual week team sheets are entered by the Clubs by midday on Monday. Over the next couple of weeks there may be a delay until the system is functioning properly."

I'm not exactly filled with confidence that they will get the system functioning properly over the next couple of weeks because the Brisbane Premier Rugby Competition has been going since 7 March and after 3 rounds their results pages are still lacking in detail of scoring, and who wore what jumper or came on as a reserve is still up for interpretation.

Given that there is a player points system, which also discriminates between fresh reserve and reserve from the previous game, to add an additional level of complexity to the Shute Shield score sheets, I think that it is a little optimistic to think that the issue will be solved in a "couple of weeks".

The snake oil salesmen of the IT World have convinced the ARU to switch to a system that has not been properly tested or even run in parallel to the existing "clunker" of a system that was actually working. End result is Egg on Face of the ARU who have crashed through a flawed implementation plan.

Information Systems 101, Managing Information 201 fail.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes it's produced by Club Rugby TV but I would have thought channel 7 would have minimum requirements on the quality of content(image quality not game) to be broadcast on their channel

I dont think that is correct from what I have been told by a very big wig. The 7 coverage isnt produced by Club Rugby TV it is produced by 7.

B

BellyTwoBlues

the new RugbyLink system is the worst system i've encountered. And at the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I was heavily involved in the creation of the Sydney Juniors system, Buddha, and also regularly used MRA. Buddha has the most functionality by a country mile and is cheapest to run of the 3, MRA served it's purpose for seniors competition and RugbyLink does nothing. It is simply a database system for which the ARU can accurately charge players and clubs for its use and to more accurately promote the top end of the game to the huddled frustrated masses.

RugbyLink, in my humble opinion, is years away from getting to the lower standard of MRA. And for the life of me, I just simply cannot see why we are being forced to use it when it cannot deliver the competition management requirements of the competition. I really feel for Lisa Kane, the competition manager. She must be tearing her hair out

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ @BellyTwoBlues, the Brisbane Premier Competition has been using Rugbylink for 3 rounds and the data there is still inaccurate and incomplete. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

When a well resourced mob such as The Corporation still hasn't managed to put up their team lists by Wednesday morning, then what hope do the rest of Rugbydom have?

Lisa Kane's email address is LKane@nswrugby.com.au.

I have been in email communication with her, and she was keen to forward my comment about Rugby Link "up the chain". I think I was rather polite in my suggestion that the ARU IT Department needed a swift kick up the backside.

I'd encourage any Gaggerlanders to forward any comment that they may have about Rugby Link and its inability to communicate the state of the Competition to Lisa, so she can in turn pass that comment on the the relevant parties in the Ivory Castle.

I am sure that the "powers that be" will try to finger the clubs and team managers for the problems, as it is apparently their responsibility to accurately enter the data. This is a BS defence and is the defacto excuse when IT projects are poorly implemented - "Blame the data entry people".

What training has of the Data Entry People has occurred? Putting up a 5 page user guide with some pretty pictures on it on the internet is not conducting training.

Was a parallel run done to compare new and old systems?
What data sets were run through Rugby Link by the User Acceptance Testing team?
What methodology of Change Management recommends turn key IT system change?
- with no user training?
- with no period of parallel running?

It is not rocket surgery.

/rant end.

Mick Foley

Frank Row (1)
Strong rumours that all Shute Shield televised games this year will only be filmed at 4 venues. Woollahra, Coogee, Uni and Concord.

Thoughts?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Strong rumours that all Shute Shield televised games this year will only be filmed at 4 venues. Woollahra, Coogee, Uni and Concord.

Thoughts?

According to the former NSW sports minister on Saturday the state government paid for some infrastructure (microwave links??) to be placed on the top of the Easts club to facilitate the broadcasts.
I assumed that the ABC had different technology and so didn't need this.
If so this may be the issue at other venues.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Mick Foley, Welcome to G&GR. Hope you enjoy your time in Gaggerland and keep on contributing.

Facing the prospect of zero FTA coverage of the Shute Shield at the start of the year, something is better than nothing. The public have to support the broadcasts and get some good ratings for things to improve. Maybe next year of so there may other grounds may get included "on the circuit".

Even under the "level playing field for all" ABC regime, I can't recall too many games being televised from Merrylands RSL Park or Nepean Rugby Park.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Quoting Parra & the Riff is such a red herring big arse.
only one team from the top 5 from last years comp,will have their home ground will be covered.
And I disagree something is better than nothing.
I predict The Beasties and West Harbour to be closer to fucking hopeless than competitive.
And I have reservations about the Wicks prospects.
If substandard games are televised each week,it will damage the brand,possibly irrevocably.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ & I disagree with you about the Wicks chances. They will be in the same boat as Beasties and Pirates.

Best games last year were the games at Rat Park and Manly Oval. Both ovals seem to be well set up for TV coverage. Don't understand why they don't want to cross the Harbour Bridge in search of good footage.

The slightest bit of rain and No 1 oval becomes a quagmire and any game covered from there would bring tears of joy to a Munsterman and few others.

B

BellyTwoBlues

^^ @BellyTwoBlues, the Brisbane Premier Competition has been using Rugbylink for 3 rounds and the data there is still inaccurate and incomplete. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

When a well resourced mob such as The Corporation still hasn't managed to put up their team lists by Wednesday morning, then what hope do the rest of Rugbydom have?

Lisa Kane's email address is LKane@nswrugby.com.au.

I have been in email communication with her, and she was keen to forward my comment about Rugby Link "up the chain". I think I was rather polite in my suggestion that the ARU IT Department needed a swift kick up the backside.

I'd encourage any Gaggerlanders to forward any comment that they may have about Rugby Link and its inability to communicate the state of the Competition to Lisa, so she can in turn pass that comment on the the relevant parties in the Ivory Castle.

I am sure that the "powers that be" will try to finger the clubs and team managers for the problems, as it is apparently their responsibility to accurately enter the data. This is a BS defence and is the defacto excuse when IT projects are poorly implemented - "Blame the data entry people".

What training has of the Data Entry People has occurred? Putting up a 5 page user guide with some pretty pictures on it on the internet is not conducting training.

Was a parallel run done to compare new and old systems?
What data sets were run through Rugby Link by the User Acceptance Testing team?
What methodology of Change Management recommends turn key IT system change?
- with no user training?
- with no period of parallel running?

It is not rocket surgery.

/rant end.

Can't speak for the experience of other clubs but when I went to enter the results on Monday it was pathetic. A girl from the ARU was extremely helpful in getting the teams up overnight, however there was massive bugs in it, even to her admission, and in some cases was the first time she'd seen some of them, as we were doing it. That tells me that there was simply no testing done prior to the comp starting.

Now I love a good bandwagon, as some of you will agree to, and I'd dearly love to criticise the Corporation, well just because, but if other clubs had the same issues entering team lists as I did, then pointing the finger at the clubs is ill informed.

I simply cannot understand why we have gone to a system that does deliver what we need. It's like the NRC last year. Thrown together at the last minute and if not for the dedication of volunteers it would not have got up.

This new IT revolution may in fact turn out to be a helpful tool in the future, atleast so Uncle Bill can charge players individually, but at the moment we are working with an inferior product and paying for it. It certainly is not evolution.

Rant over.

Good night for the next few months

B

BellyTwoBlues

I took a look at the Parra v Manly page - I am reasonably confident that the player numbering (for Parra at least) is inaccurate to say the least. I wasn't at the match but I just can't see Tukia Muli playing in the locking position even given his increased muscle mass this year, and while Nick Blacklock is quite mobile for a prop, I think that any selection meeting that resulted in him playing in the 7 jersey would have been a very convivial affair!

Still, mustn't grumble if this site provides some information at least.

Not our fault at all

Status
Not open for further replies.