• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eastwood again proved why they are one of the best clubs going around.
Not so good for the Woodies in the Colts though:
W. McMahon Memorial Shield - Colts 1
Eastwood 17 Gordon 22

Shell Trophy - Colts 2
Eastwood 20 Gordon 29

Bill Simpson Shield - Colts 3
Eastwood 0 Gordon 52

Some promising signs for the Highlanders rebuilding.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Eastwood again proved why they are one of the best clubs going around.

I'll admit to self interest: if the woodies are putting scores on the highlanders like this, this early in the season and you outmuscled my team in week 1 etc etc etc - but then we get up by 1 v the corporation.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'll admit to self interest: if the woodies are putting scores on the highlanders like this, this early in the season and you outmuscled my team in week 1 etc etc etc - but then we get up by 1 v the corporation.
Hmm but I am interested as the scores appeared close on Twitter at stages through the game

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well done to the Beasties yesterday. Thanks for stuffing up my tips. :mad: The Beastie supporter Akubras, RM's and 4WD's would have actually been a good fit for the day.:)

It could be a long year for the Corporation in the Shute Shield. IIRC the score in their trial against the Woodies was not all that flattering. Their roster looks a bit shy on for bruisers in the piggies and experience in the pretty boys (less Tom "Johnny Farnham" Carter).

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Well done to the Beasties yesterday. Thanks for stuffing up my tips. :mad: The Beastie supporter Akubras, RM's and 4WD's would have actually been a good fit for the day.:)

It could be a long year for the Corporation in the Shute Shield. IIRC the score in their trial against the Woodies was not all that flattering. Their roster looks a bit shy on for bruisers in the piggies and experience in the pretty boys (less Tom "Johnny Farnham" Carter).
I think you are right about the "long year" for the Corp. We lacked any sort of punching forward play and did not make any observable impact at the breakdown. But that is OK, good young blokes coming through and Uni will always compete and the coaching staff are up for the challenge.
I think we had 7 players in the NSW U20's so no panic. (Yet)
Thanks to the Bowral people for hosting the Home Game. It was good day and well run.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Hmm but I am interested as the scores appeared close on Twitter at stages through the game
Over the last five or so seasons I have seen more than a few one-sided games at chatswood
Yesterday's game may have had a disapointing score line but the effort was there and also the skill from Gordon
Woodies power showed in the end and they really are a well oiled machine
Gordon were in it for 60 minutes
I was impressed with Gordon they have really improved all over the park and I think it will be a great battle for 5th and 6th spot this year

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Club Championship Watch:
Very early days yet but the usual suspects have already established a spot in the top third of the 2015 table.
There are a maximum of 215 points available to a club each week, based on all 7 club teams winning with a 4 try BP and the target to win is >3000 points which was achieved by 3 clubs last year. In 2014 the difference between 1st and 2nd was only 33 points, with 3rd only 52 points further back.

Manly 412
Sydney University 351
Eastwood 318
Southern Districts 315
Northern Suburbs 292
Randwick 273
Warringah 191
Eastern Suburbs 176
Gordon 159
West Harbour 54
Parramatta 37
Penrith 16

How the Club Championship table is calculated.
The competition points from the individual competitions are multiplied by the following factors and then added together.
First Grade - 15
Second Grade - 8
Third Grade - 5
Fourth Grade - 4
Colts 1 - 6
Colts 2 - 3
Colts 3 - 2

The 33 point difference between Gold and Silver last year could have been made up from an extra 2 BP in Shute Shield and an extra BP in Colts 2, or an extra victory without a BP in 2nd Grade and an extra BP in Colts 3.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Dave Beat, Thanks for the compliment. My aim is to keep people informed, and to keep the rugby conversation going.

There is far too much Freemasonesque "need to know" secrecy surrounding Rugby and it hinders better engagement and enjoyment for many people. My point in the Club Championship Watch post is that what happens in the early games in front of 10 spectators and 2 dogs really counts. It is not all about the Rock Stars in First Grade and Colts 1s because the actions of the battler in the 4th Grade and Colts 3 can and do make make a significant difference to the Club Championship table.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not so good for the Woodies in the Colts though:
W. McMahon Memorial Shield - Colts 1
Eastwood 17 Gordon 22

Shell Trophy - Colts 2
Eastwood 20 Gordon 29

Bill Simpson Shield - Colts 3
Eastwood 0 Gordon 52

Some promising signs for the Highlanders rebuilding.

I've heard that Gordon have really put a lot of work into colts this year - particularly in attracting former Gordon JRU players. It would be a long time since Gordon have had a colts clean sweep over Eastwood.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Club Championship Watch:
Very early days yet but the usual suspects have already established a spot in the top third of the 2015 table.
There are a maximum of 215 points available to a club each week, based on all 7 club teams winning with a 4 try BP and the target to win is >3000 points which was achieved by 3 clubs last year. In 2014 the difference between 1st and 2nd was only 33 points, with 3rd only 52 points further back.

Manly 412
Sydney University 351
Eastwood 318
Southern Districts 315
Northern Suburbs 292
Randwick 273
Warringah 191
Eastern Suburbs 176
Gordon 159
West Harbour 54
Parramatta 37
Penrith 16

How the Club Championship table is calculated.
The competition points from the individual competitions are multiplied by the following factors and then added together.
First Grade - 15
Second Grade - 8
Third Grade - 5
Fourth Grade - 4
Colts 1 - 6
Colts 2 - 3
Colts 3 - 2

The 33 point difference between Gold and Silver last year could have been made up from an extra 2 BP in Shute Shield and an extra BP in Colts 2, or an extra victory without a BP in 2nd Grade and an extra BP in Colts 3.

What's more concerning is what's happening at the bottom. While I'm a fervent supporter of expansion, how long can Penrith stay in SS? They replaced Drummoyne about 20 years ago and in that time wins have been few and far between and there doesn't appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel. In the past couple of weeks Hawkesbury Valley JRU have changed their afiliation from Penrith to Parramatta, which isn't really a good sign either.

I just can't see the point of the status quo. Something has to change (more support from NSWRU/ARU) or they go in a competition in which they are competitive.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How difficult and expensive is it to stream games? Obviously the more cameras, commentators, and sound and graphics included, the more expensive it becomes.

I am always reading about the QLD GPS games being live streamed, and what a good job Reds TV does with Bar TV (I think) to stream various NRC and Reds trial games.

Is there something in the arrangement with 7Two and the SRU that prevents the Clubs from arranging their own streaming?

At every Shute Shield game I go to there is at least one camera there recording video for coaching purposes. Many clubs dump their feeds in Vimeo or on youtube. It is just not all that user friendly or googleable for the casual fan to find.

Greetings Lawyers and Bush Lawyers in Gaggerland.
Who actually owns the IP, image rights or whatever is its correct commercial and legal name, to a Shute Shield game or the digital record of such? The SRU or the Home Club?

Has this rather simple but potentially challenging question actually been considered by anyone or are the parties stumbling around in feigned ignorance of the nest of sleeping vipers in the corner of the room, hoping that no one will stir them up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is there something in the arrangement with 7Two and the SRU that prevents the Clubs from arranging their own streaming?

Now that Channel 7 hold the broadcast rights it would prevent anyone else from broadcasting a game from the Shute Shield...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
How difficult and expensive is it to stream games? Obviously the more cameras, commentators, and sound and graphics included, the more expensive it becomes.

I am always reading about the QLD GPS games being live streamed, and what a good job Reds TV does with Bar TV (I think) to stream various NRC and Reds trial games.

At every Shute Shield game I go to there is at least one camera there recording video for coaching purposes. Many clubs dump their feeds in Vimeo or on youtube. It is just not all that user friendly or googleable for the casual fan to find.

Greetings Lawyers and Bush Lawyers in Gaggerland.
Who actually owns the IP, image rights or whatever is its correct commercial and legal name, to a Shute Shield game or the digital record of such? The SRU or the Home Club?

Has this rather simple but potentially challenging question actually been considered by anyone or are the parties stumbling around in feigned ignorance of the nest of sleeping vipers in the corner of the room, hoping that no one will stir them up.

CRTV - streamed last year so i thought it maybe simple????

Maybe something in the paperwork given it is "Commercial" TV now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Now that Channel 7 hold the broadcast rights it would prevent anyone else from broadcasting a game from the Shute Shield.
What about "narrowcasting" to a limited availability internet digital channel (or even closed circuit video distribution) as opposed to broadcasting out to all and sundry using the standard ACMA regulated TV frequencies?

Do 7 own all rights to all images of the Shute Shield games regardless of the medium or technologies used to get those images viewed at a remote location?

Status
Not open for further replies.