• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I see Uni have a great line up v Wicks next Saturday, assuming Uni Oval #1 survives the forecast rain over the next week:
4th grade -- 1:40pm
3rd grade -- 2:55pm
2nd grade -- 4:20pm
1st colts -- 5:55pm
1st grade -- 7:30pm
(Colts 2 and 3 at St Andrews)

Can't wait :D

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Cracking day down at Manly Oval for Anzac Day - and Manly Paid tribute to the ANZAC'S with a march past of the local sports teams.
2.jpg

3.jpg

With all the rain 3's and 4s played out at Kierle - 4's started with with a high scoring draw 31 a piece.
And I hear 3 came storming home and won on full time, hear John Fakai's return had a notice able impact on the game.

2's had another slightly different team again this week, and it was good to get the bonus point win. Different front row, different second row, and different loosies. Albeit the changes to the forwards they showed the maturity and importance in communication to manage the game.
Good win

1's
Great seeing some of the colts coming through now.
Reece Hodge had his game of the season - plus kicked a few goals.
Rhys Dombkins made his first grade debut - almost went over for Manly's
first.
And there are a few more in two's itching to get a start.
Marlins came out on fire, passes were sticking, good angles, and great support - crossed for 2 tries in the first 10, and then we possibly eased off a little but Souths definitely started playing – they lifted the intensity and were still in the game at oranges through Volavola putting them over at any opportunity.

After being opened and returning to the field with a band aid Reece Hodge came back on and had a storming game – cracked / sliced them open 3 times in quick succession in the second half, and whilst they weren’t converted into 5 pointers it no doubt it creates allot of options and opportunities with game plans going forward.

The last qtr of the game involved a Souths forward pass that traveled at least 2 meters forward, followed up by a straight Marlin throw to a line out (called crooked) in following play when refs vision and thoughts were still making adjustments after the forward pass gave Souths a scrum feed on our line and - - - a Great scrum gave them an unconverted try and put them right in the game.

We tightened up out play and Reece’s Radar boot knocked over a couple of penalties that kept us ahead.

2 Tuff away games coming up, Norths have pulled down a few of the bigger names, and Wicks just put 50 on the Beasties.

How’s this - - Manly’s Ladies day is always huge, hear a “Sell Out” this year and they've had to print more tickets to keep all the ladies happy.

Still say Manly has the best ground in the SS

1.jpg

Lastly Marlins are showing how its done around the world - taking down Matt Gitteau's Top 14 Tittle holders Toulon.

Yikes

Stan Wickham (3)
The last qtr of the game involved a Souths forward pass that traveled at least 2 meters forward, followed up by a straight Marlin throw to a line out (called crooked) in following play when refs vision and thoughts were still making adjustments after the forward pass gave Souths a scrum feed on our line

Sounds like a great day! Well done Manly and Souths.

I know it was tongue in cheek, but not sure about the forward pass and straight throw though. Both look like reasonable calls to me. Probably the throw could have been play on given how poorly Souths contested, maybe?
Pass.gif

Throw.gif

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sounds like a great day! Well done Manly and Souths.

I know it was tongue in cheek, but not sure about the forward pass and straight throw though. Both look like reasonable calls to me. Probably the throw could have been play on given how poorly Souths contested, maybe?
Great day - yes it was.
Show off with that video work - well done.
Cant work out the pass - I think the fact that he had to stretch out for it exaggerated the appearance but you don't get the wide vision. The throw, shit seen allot worse called straight.

Re looking at that pass, thinking that he passed it at the add line, and it was caught well past the add line, but i dont think his hands through it forward.

But your reading is fair / ish thanks for taking the time to put it up.

JFT

Frank Nicholson (4)
Has the format of the finals been confirmed? The fixtures of the new database only has up to round 18 and the ladders show a top 4.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shute Shield Stats - to round 6

Most Tries
Matthew TEKI (Southern Districts), 7 Tries (Colts player last year)
Richard WOOLF (Northern Suburbs), 6 Tries
Mark BALDWIN (Randwick), 6 Tries
Ben SHORTER (Eastwood), 5 Tries
Andrew KELLAWAY (Randwick), 5 Tries
John GRANT (Eastwood), 4 Tries
Michael SNOWDEN (Eastwood), 4 Tries
Daniel ALLEY (Manly), 4 Tries
Richard HOOPER (Manly), 4 Tries
Joshua KAY (Northern Suburbs), 4 Tries
David HORWITZ (Randwick), 4 Tries
Marcus CARBONE (Southern Districts), 4 Tries

Top Points Scorer
Ben BATGER (Eastwood), 105 Points, (2T, 22C, 17PG)
Joshua KAY (Northern Suburbs), 91 Points, (4T, 22C, 9PG)
Ben VOLAVOLA (Southern Districts), 54 Points, (1T, 14C, 7PG)
David HORWITZ (Randwick), 53 Points, (4T, 15C, 1PG)
Matthew TEKI (Southern Districts), 48 Points, (7T, 5C, 1PG)
Kiwi KAPENE-BELCHER (West Harbour), 46 Points, (2T, 6C, 8PG)
Byron HODGE (Sydney University), 44 Points, (7C, 10PG)
Samuel LANE (Manly), 41 Points, (2T, 11C, 3PG)
Reece HODGE (Manly), 34 Points, (8C, 6PG)
Richard WOOLF (Northern Suburbs), 30 Points, (6T)
Mark BALDWIN (Randwick), 30 Points, (6T)

Golden Boot
Ben BATGER (Eastwood), 95 Points, (22C, 17PG)
Joshua KAY (Northern Suburbs), 71 Points, (22C, 9PG)
Ben VOLAVOLA (Southern Districts), 49 Points, (14C, 7PG)
Byron HODGE (Sydney University), 44 Points, (7C, 10PG) (Forward)
Kiwi KAPENE-BELCHER (West Harbour), 36 Points, (6C, 8PG)
Reece HODGE (Manly), 34 Points, (8C, 6PG)
David HORWITZ (Randwick), 33 Points, (15C, 1PG)
Samuel LANE (Manly), 31 Points, (11C, 3PG)
Henry HUDSON (Eastern Suburbs), 23 Points, (4C, 5PG)
Hamish ANGUS (Warringah), 18 Points, (6C, 2PG)

Note: Incomplete data so far
Sydney University- No team list or point scoring detail - Round 1
Parramatta - No point scoring detail - Round 2
Parramatta, Warringah - No team list or point scoring detail - Round 3
Gordon v Sydney University Round 3 - postponed to TBA
Parramatta, Warringah - No team list or point scoring detail - Round 4
Warringah - No team list or point scoring detail - Round 5
Parramatta, Warringah - No team list or point scoring detail - Round 6

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gregor George Cup (Club Championship) Watch:
A fair way to go and there has been some minor jockeying in the table but the usual suspects continue to consolidate their lead at the top of the table.
The Corporation are giving up a bit of a headstart with their First Grade losing two games, although they may claw some points back when the postponed games against Gordon in grade are played (160 points if all 4 grades win with a 4t BP which could take them to as high as 1045 points).

There are a maximum of 215 points available to a club each week, based on all 7 club teams winning with a 4 try BP and the target to win is >3000 points which was achieved by 3 clubs last year. In 2014 the difference between 1st and 2nd was only 33 points, with 3rd only 52 points further back.

Randwick, 1064 points
Eastwood, 1046 points
Manly, 931 points
Sydney University*, 885 points (up 1)
Northern Suburbs, 805 points (down 1)
Southern Districts, 707 points
Warringah, 527 points (up 1)
Eastern Suburbs, 504 points (down 1)
West Harbour, 484 points
Gordon*, 416 points (down 1)
Parramatta, 183 points
Penrith, 37 points

How the Club Championship table is calculated.
The competition points from the individual competitions are multiplied by the following factors and then added together.
First Grade - 15
Second Grade - 8
Third Grade - 5
Fourth Grade - 4
Colts 1 - 6
Colts 2 - 3
Colts 3 - 2

The 33 point difference between Gold and Silver last year could have been made up from an extra 2 BP in Shute Shield and an extra BP in Colts 2, or an extra victory without a BP in 2nd Grade and an extra BP in Colts 3.

Notes:
* Points yet to be allocated from washed out games in Grade 1-4 for Sydney University vs Gordon. Games are being played over June Long Weekend.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thommos match report of the abandoned game between Wests and MTB

First Grade
Before today West Harbour had only beaten Gordon. The Anzac Day game at Concord was looking to be a test of 2 teams who had played most of the top half of the Shute Shield without any reward. Parramatta had specially made jerseys for the days encounter that were camouflage blue with the rising sun emblazed across the midriff. Both teams looked ready for battle as all present stood for a minute silence marking the Centenary of Anzac.
Parramatta received the ball running to Concord Road. The first penalty went to Parramatta for Wests being offside. Nathan Langsford is still out with injury and Chris Nay has slotted in at Fly half. New recruit Jason Wehbe was at Full back and Larry Hermens had returned from injury. Jason was wearing those new fluro boots. Another sign of change in modern rugby. In the old days you never wanted to draw attention to yourself.
A Wests scrum was called on half way and Wests put in a deep kick. The Wests team followed through in pursuit. Fullback Wehbe was forced to make a clearing kick. Unfortunately for Parra the ball is charged down. Wests score in the eastern corner. Wests 5 Parra 0 after 3 minutes. From the return kick West Harbour are penalised for offside in the backs. Fullback Wehbe steps up to take the penalty. Jason strikes the ball well. Wests 5 Parra 3 after 6 minutes of play.
The kick return sees Evan Tuckwell take a great catch before he is swamped. Parra is penalised for not rolling away in the ruck. Wests convert. Wests 8, Parra 3. Both Wests and Parra like to run the ball, however, Wests ball seem to find their man and our ball is either dropped, kicked away or turned over. Larry Hermens makes a break then does a D.C.K (Dreaded Chip Kick) in our 22. Fortunately Larry regathers the kick and he looks pass to a support player with a clear run to the line. However, the ball is intercepted in a reverse play by Wests. Not to be out done Wests then turn the ball over to us on the Parra line. Penalty against Wests for being offside. Parra tap and run and knock on in the northern Sydney corner. What happened to taking the 3 points? Wests have a 5 metre scrum on their line after 12 minutes and clear the ball well. Parramatta lineout 30 metres out. Parra turn the ball over but Wests are penalised for off side. Jason Wehbe steps up to take a 40 metre penalty kick. Wests 8, Parra 6. Explain that one? We don’t take a shot in front but 5 minutes later we take a 40 metre kick. The Parramatta forwards are starting to get some rhythm and are rolling forward. We turn the ball over and are penalised at the ruck for offside.
From the kick return Half Kaleb Rech is forced to take the catch at his feet. He bobbles the ball. The ref catches him for a knock on. A West Harbour scrum 30 metres out from our line. Parra once again are penalised for offside. There is a succession of penalties resulting in a Wests scrum 5 metres out from our line. Parra defend stoutly. Finally Fly half Chris Nay is yellow carded for not releasing the tackler. I don’t think it was Chris. I think he was the last one up from the ruck and Chris wore the Refs wrath. Wests take the scrum and peel off from the scrum trampling our No.7. Wests No. 8 scores beside the posts. Wests 15, Parra 6.
Full back Wehbe shows his kicking skills by putting the ball deep into Wests half. Wests line out on the 5 metre mark. Wests turn the ball over from the line out. Parra lineout on the Wests 22 metre line. Parra spread the ball left and we are playing with confidence as the Wests half is penalised for a shoulder charge. He is yellow carded. It was a cheap shot. Parra convert the penalty. Wests 15, Parra 9.
Whenever we are attacking I don’t know why we kick. We need to keep the ball in hand and drive forward. From the kick return Parra take the ball forward but are penalised 45 metres out for not releasing the ball. Wests signal they will kick. The there is a little breeze at the back of the Wests kicker. As Frank Hyde, League announcer would say,” Its straight enough, it is high enough, it is straight between the posts.” Wests 18, Parra 9. Chris Nay returns from the sin bin as the clock winds down to half time. The half time score remains Wests 18 Parra 9.
It is becoming quite dark as everyone calls for the lights to be turned on. Concord was supposed to be the Holy Grail and home of NSW Rugby and it doesn’t have lights? Wonders never cease! Parra kick off towards Parramatta Rd. Wests don’t want any of this and reef the ball back. Chris Nay is off and running using his elusive step. He would have to be the best open field runner we have, possibly in the comp. Wests are penalised for not rolling away again. Parra kick to the half way and Wing Tui Fa’asisila makes a break. Parramatta penalty for Wests not rolling away. Parra are stepping up. The line kick sees a Parra lineout 5 metres out from the Wests line. The Parra forwards bring the ball down and attack the line. Wests are defending well as Parra looks for a hole. Wests are penalised for being offside at the ruck. I call out take a shot for goal!! Captain Cox elects to kick for the sideline. The ball is brought down from the lineout as Parra forms a rolling maul. Nick Blacklock crashes over for a deserved try wide out after 5 minutes of play. The conversion fails as the wind has changed direction. The sky is blackening and there are huge lightning strikes in the distance. The sky looks like something out of Hitchcock movie. Parra are on top as the Ref calls a halt to play. Both teams go to the change room. If this had happened in the first half there would be a replay of the game. However, because it happened in the second half, play must resume or the team in front is declared the winner. At that point the heavens open and there is torrential rain and hail as everyone in the stands watches the rain bucket down.
Yes you guessed it, Parramatta have found a new way to lose with 32 minutes of playing time to go and the Wests half back in the sin bin. It was going to be our game. Simply unbelievable!! Lock Evan Olmstead rates this among the worst 2 losses of his life. He said he was in the State Championship at age 11 when the final whistle blew for a draw. They then flicked a coin for the State Championship winner. Evan’s team lost the toss and the State Championship trophy.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't understand how you can call a game off with 32 minutes (ie almost 1/2 the game) to go and the team leading at the time be declared the winner.

How come the game is not been replayed on the June long weekend?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't understand how you can call a game off with 32 minutes (ie almost 1/2 the game) to go and the team leading at the time be declared the winner.

How come the game is not been replayed on the June long weekend?

I am not sure I am answering the intent of your question but it is a competition rule that if a game is called off in the second half, then the score stands and the team leading is declared the winner.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I am not sure I am answering the intent of your question but it is a competition rule that if a game is called off in the second half, then the score stands and the team leading is declared the winner.

Thanks E&E, I wasn't aware of that rule until I read it in Thommo's report.
You're right, I was really questioning why we have such an unfair rule.
From Thommo's report it seems Wests were in front on the scoreboard all game, but the scores were still close enough that either side could have won.

Contrast to Wicks beating Penrith 2nds 130-7 a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking at the time there needed to be a mercy rule to call that game off early as it was obvious the Emu boys were outclassed, had had enough and had no chance of even getting a bonus point.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The 2nd half rule is an interesting one. My suspicion is that more often than not it will be unfair on the team that is winning the called off game that they need to start again in a replay than that the losing side has missed the opportunity to come back from behind.

Re the mercy rule, it depends whether you are of the view that referees should have the discretion to call these matches over early eg 10 mins early. Maybe we could have a competition rule, that the game is over when a team reaches 100.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Nice to see the report above from Ryan09.
But "it was going to be our game" ???
I was at the game ,& didn't see things in quite the same way.
e.g.West Harbour led from early in the first half & for the remainder of the game.
Wests looked the dominant side for all but about 5 minutes when Parramatta
scored their only try.At this time loose head prop Cameron Orr was in the sin bin.
At the subsequent restart of play ,Parramatta were penalised in their own
half,with the wind springing up behind the Wests side & favouring them.This gave Wests the opportunity of kicking for goal or securing a line out on their own throw close to the Parramatta line, with the opportunity of increasing their lead even further.i.e Wests were in a favourable position.
Before Wests were able to take the kick, the referee called on the players to leave the field because of his concerns re the lightning.
Of course it is possible that Parramatta could have won the game,but they showed little to indicate that they would.
My understanding of the rule regarding resumption of play in such
circumstances as that seen on the weekend is that play may resume within 30 minutes of the time the players & referee leave the field , if the referee adjudges it safe to so do.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 7 Team Lists from RugbyNews.net.au

Gordon v Southern Districts – Live on 7TWO
Gordon (1-15)
Ben Lawley, Ash Goddard, Tobias Gukibau, Mark Johnson, Ruairidh Wilson, Jack Dempsey, Luke Rissman, Harry Rorke, Terry Preston, Mark Preston, Matt McDougall, Erik Moss, Tom Matthews, Brandon Quinn, Sione Ala.
Southern Districts (1-15)
Salesi Maumalanga, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Cameron Betham, Jake Douglas, Andrew Leota , Kieran Black, Jono Hayes, Marcus Carbone, Dewet Roos, Ben Volavola, Matt Teki, Apolosi Latunipulu , Denny Godinet, Feluela Finau, Richie Williams.
Eastern Suburbs v Eastwood
Eastern Suburbs (1-15)
Sione Kolo, Clarrie Moore, Jake Ilnicki , Fergus Lee-Warner, BJ Edwards, Sam Stitcher, James Graham, Tala Gray, Angus Pulver, Robbie Mate, Charlie Clifton, Will Fay, Kotaro Matsushima, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Alex Newsome.
Eastwood (1-15)
Sam Needs, Hugh Roach, Rob Lagudi, Tom Alexander, James Neale, Michael Kovacic, Hugh Perrett, Pat Sio, Mick Snowden, Jai Ayoub, Ben Shorter, Tom Hill, Mike McDougall, Brad Curtis, Ben Batger.
Northern Suburbs v Manly
Northern Suburbs (1-15)
Tyron Rota, Will Weeks, Lawrence Hunting, Nick Palmer, Michael O’Hea, Ben Matwijow, Will Miller, Sape Tamamasui Misa, Mitch Magrath, Josh Kay, Lochie Creagh, Lachlan Porteous, Jordan Heyer, Richard Woolf, John Porch.
Manly (1-15)
Mitch Lewis, Vance Elliot, Andrew Collins, Ed Gower, Ryan Melrose, Harry Bergelin, Kotoni Ale, Dan Alley, Matt Lucas, Sam Lane, Chris Yarrington, Reece Hodge, Dennis Pili-Gaitau, Richard Hooper, Brenden Hartmann.
Parramatta v Warringah
Parramatta (1-15)
Nick Blacklock, Liu Taituave, Nigel Vaifale, Seva Rokobaro, Evan Olmstead, Daniel Tamone, Evan Tuckwell, Andrew Cox, Kaleb Rech, Chris Nay, Tui Fa’asisila, Tukia Muli, Regan Haika, Larry Hermens, Jason Wehbe.
Warringah (1-15)
Rory O’Connor, Luke Holmes, Wayne Borsack, Sam Crompton, Ben Adams, James Cunningham, Sam Ward, Junior Palau, Josh Holmes, Hamish Angus, Seb Wileman, Josh Gillard, Michael Adams, Brad Dixon, Dave Feltscheer.
Sydney University v Randwick
Sydney University (1-15)
Alastair Ryan, Thomas Coolican, Tomas Robertson, Byron Hodge, Liam Winton, Jake Wainwright, David Hickey, Mitchell Whiteley, Jake Gordon, Stuart Dunbar, Henry Clunies-Ross, James McMahon, Jim Stewart, Mark O’Dare, Jack Macklin.
Randwick (1-15)
Toa Asa, David Vea, Latu Talakai, Dave Parsons, Will Munro, Sam Figg, Jack Johnson, Mark Baldwin, Mitch Short, David Horwitz, Latu Latunipulu, Ben Starkey, Kuki Ma’afu, Chris Taripo, Tom Coupland.
West Harbour v Penrith
West Harbour (1-15)
Dave Lolohea, Dave Karamanis, Michael Ala'alatoa, Bradford Kapa, Tom Games, Kelly Meafua, Jordan Tuapou, Matt Coles, Mona Silipa, Ben James, David Moore, Henry Seavula, Rory Sidey, Joel Brooks, Angus Le Lievre.
Penrith (1-15)
Max Maa Nelson, Sam Siaki, Luke Bryan, Doug Want, Tu’itakau Kioa, Jason Havea, Paueli Halafihi, Ben Vai, Michael Baysaat, Johnny Poe, Sione Pusi’aki Fifita, Ben Kaafi, Saiosi Vulinaganavou, Pauala Makasini , Aporosa Ada.

Thanks to Rugby News
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/rd6-intrust-shute-shield-team-lists/

Status
Not open for further replies.