• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah harsh, Laney a better player than I was, and will ever be. I assume that's the case with everyone here?

I think most of us have grown as players with each passing year, personally I have developed from a fringe squad player whos injury coincided with being told I was not good enough to a potential world class 6 that was cruelly robbed by injury;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well this isn't good. Why aren't our players going to the NRC? Ala'alatoa and Matwijow off to Manawatu and Canterbury respectively.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Well this isn't good. Why aren't our players going to the NRC? Ala'alatoa and Matwijow off to Manawatu and Canterbury respectively.

No Country Eagles spots left as they are being filled up with Wicks and Easts players?
Or Matwijow trying to get a gig in NZ and big Mike going to play for Tonga and/or a Kiwi Super side?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think both of them are looking at careers outside AUS just using the ITM for $$ and development rather than the NRC. Pretty sure Mike is still contracted to the Tahs. Both would be starters the Country team IMO.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Does anyone really believe that a spending cap will level the playing field as I assume is the intention? Will kids leaving school decide to join Penrith or Parramatta instead of Uni or Randwick as a result? Most likely outcome IMO is players leaving rugby and going to league where they can still earn some money. And, as has been mentioned above, how on earth would it be policed? For those with longer memories, how many clubs / players were sanctioned for earning money from the game when it was amateur? In my memory, the only players who were impacted were those trying to return from a stint in league. Sounds like the wise heads at NSWRU have been raiding the cellar again.
I think it will result in school leavers joining there local clubs or clubs they want to but go to Uni or Randwick because they are getting deals to good to refuse.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What are the financial situation of the SS clubs like these days?

I think the salary cap/ban on player payments was one of the recommendations of the Premier club review. And the point of it was to stop clubs spending themselves into insolvency.

Is that a risk?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think it will result in school leavers joining there local clubs or clubs they want to but go to Uni or Randwick because they are getting deals to good to refuse.

We keep having this discussion, and it keeps going nowhere. People seem to have a romantic notion that the world is all pure and chaste and "if they build it, they will come".

What loyalty does a school leaver owe to "any" club? What actual development resources does a district club invest into a junior player that somehow obliges that player to only ever play for them, ... ... ... for ever?

What is a kids local club? What is the local club for a kid who has boarded at Joeys, Kings, View etc since Year 7, or not played Club footy since Year 6?

What about country kids who stay in Sydney to finish their education? Do the Salary Cap Proponents think this will encourage them to play for Penrith, Rats, Southern Districts, or Pirates? What was the deal that saw former Nudgee College players Franklin Caluguy (Alstonville), Conor Young (Yamba) and Matt Gibbon (Wollongbar) end up at Southern Districts and not Randwick or Camperdown?

What if the previous junior club treated the kid "poorly" in the Under 13's or U14's? You think they should be forced to return there after being "developed" under their School programme from Year 7 to Year 12?

If a young man from the North Shore is residing in a residential college in Camperdown or Kensington, shouldn't they be allowed to play for BuildCorp or Randi-Wix? Why should they be forced to commute back to Gordon just to play footy?

People move from suburb to suburb for all sorts of valid reasons. What about the kid who has played for two "local" clubs - say West Harbour and Manly, because they moved house? Who do you force them to play for?

The best thing about Uni and Wicks "stockpiling" talent is sooner or later the talent will see that there is a road block in front of them, and either decide to move to get game time in First Grade, or accept that they will remain starting in 2nd or even 3rd Grade while the kid from the 2nd XV in their position at school is getting regular First Grade run on starts at <insert club>. If Wicks and Uni keep getting their players promoted to Super Rugby, then great, those players head off to Super Rugby and are rarely seen at Club level. Market forces will prevail.

How good was Tobias Rudulf's "deal" with Randwick? That was refused and now he is on the dark side Playing in the Carmakers cup for the Bunnies along with Gus Crichton.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
@HJ,

Sorry to digress a moment .....have been waiting on the phone for ages - so thought I would have a look at the NSWRU site for something to do !

I hope they have a new intern on board........

With reference to your post at #1415 regarding the potential finals series matches (which I think is what it SHOULD be) - the most recent blurb on the NSWRU site suggests that instead of the 2nd Highest ranked winner playing the 3rd Highest ranked winner......it indicates that it will be the 2nd Highest ranked winner against the 2nd highest ranked LOSER.....

One would hope that teams wouldn't be trying to actually lose a match to grab this spot .......

The Hound

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Player Points for reserves only count if they are fresh (not listed as playing in the prior game).

Rugby link only adds up all the players points including the non fresh reserves points that are not supposed to count against the points cap.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I can't speak for Uni, but I'm pretty certain that not all of the rock stars playing colts at the Wicks are on scholarships from the club.

We've flogged this issue to death over the years but, as HJ and others have stated, players join clubs and change clubs for a whole variety of reasons.

If the intention of the cap is to stop clubs spending more than they can afford then I guess it has some merit.

However, I'd be really interested in finding out how much clubs currently spend and whether it's at all feasible to put 7 teams on the field every week for under $200k per season.

Or is this just another step towards reducing the clubs to 2 grades and 1 colts team?

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Death of rugby if reduced to two grade and one colt side.

check out players starting grade and finishing grade in just this season.

i have seen third graders start in thirds and finish in ones on the same afternoon

If any body proposes a comp with just colts and 1st and 2 nd grade, clearly they don't understand the concept of playing for a club. How many guys run around each week in 3rd or 4ths who just like playing with their mates at x or y club.
Get rid of 3rd or 4th grade and I estimate at 50% of those players will give the game a way.
Some will go to subbies where there is a connection but most will hang up their boots

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I've hear that, where possible, the highest placed first grade side will host each of the finals games. Sounds fair to me.

Do we know where the colts finals games are being held this year?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If any body proposes a comp with just colts and 1st and 2 nd grade, clearly they don't understand the concept of playing for a club. How many guys run around each week in 3rd or 4ths who just like playing with their mates at x or y club.
Get rid of 3rd or 4th grade and I estimate at 50% of those players will give the game a way.
Some will go to subbies where there is a connection but most will hang up their boots
More than that, there are stacks of guys that play 3rds when there are zero injuries,that end up getting game time in 1's at some part of the season.
How can a club cater for injuries in 1's & 2's if there are no grades below that?
Who is going to train x 2 each week,if they can't even get a bench spot for the first 8 weeks of the comp?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not good with the tips last week scoring 3/6, after impressive performances from Pirates, Rats and Emus.

Round 17 Tips
Gordon v Manly. Manly by 10-15, but only if they play for 80 minutes not 40.

Randwick v Eastwood. Woodies margin will be reduced by the sloppy conditions. Woodies by 15-23.

Northern Suburbs v Eastern Suburbs. Shoremen by 15-20.

Parramatta v West Harbour. Pirates on a roll to win by 15+. The real winner will be the curried snags and pumpkin soup at the MP2B canteen.

Southern Districts v Penrith. Penrith will get beaten by lots.

Warringah v Sydney University. This should be the match of the day and on TV. The Corporation will be desperate for points for Club championship and also to get above the Gallopers on the ladder, and they have most of their paratroopers back from Super Rugby. Rats vulnerable after the high of winning the Battle of the Beaches last week. Students to win in an arm wrestle by 7-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.