• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Attached is a link to the NSW RU Catchpole Medal Finalists as well as the other Award Finalists.

http://www.randwickrugby.com.au/news/2015-news/4810-nswru-2015-awards-finalists

Coach of the year - Turtle, minor premiership with a team that doesn't resemble last years, he's also blooded a few of last years colts as well. Big effort by coach and team.
Rookie - Reece Hodge, whilst still colts eligible last year he had it off because of a busted ankle in 2013's GF. Played in a new positions, nailed it, and got a super contract.
Catchpole - Matty Lucas would have to run close, could be a few other Marlins Boys up there as well. Porecki / Lane / Hodge i reckon all would have polled strongly which i guess makes it harder for Matty

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach of the year - Turtle, minor premiership with a team that doesn't resemble last years, he's also blooded a few of last years colts as well. Big effort by coach and team.
Rookie - Reece Hodge, whilst still colts eligible last year he had it off because of a busted ankle in 2013's GF. Played in a new positions, nailed it, and got a super contract.
Catchpole - Matty Lucas would have to run close, could be a few other Marlins Boys up there as well. Porecki / Lane / Hodge i reckon all would have polled strongly which i guess makes it harder for Matty

Hard to tell which team you support looking at your picks Dave ;)

What's the qualification for Rookie?
I see Will Munro (Wicks) is nominated, but he played 13 1st grade games in 2014 so how is he a rookie?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
All too often our discussion centres around the Rockstars and Paratroopers.

With the season more or less over for many players in many clubs, it it timely to recognise the Salt of The Earth Players, who have played for their club in all four grades over the course of the season.

It is unheralded folk like these that keep our game going, playing wherever they are selected. Time to recognise them.
All power to these players.
Does your extensive database tell us if any super sub played minutes in all grades in one day? I'm sure it has happened on very limited occasions in the past - a front rower springs to mind but that's all I can remember.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

I see Will Munro (Wicks) is nominated, but he played 13 1st grade games in 2014 so how is he a rookie?

Yup,
But i reckon all the posters about 60 - 70 pages back not giving Manly a chance would have to agree.
Allot of new players there - 5/8th, and centres, loosing captain 1/2 way through, you'd have to think the coach is doing something right in his first year to claim the minor premiership.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Go to Wickipedia and look up "Fine Cotton" :) . Rookie of the Year finalist didnt help him get a NRC gig.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Don't understand that either. My rookie would be Fili Tufui is he counts. First year in Shute Shield but he's played at a decent level in NZ.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Don't understand that either. My rookie would be Fili Tufui is he counts. First year in Shute Shield but he's played at a decent level in NZ.

Apparently these are the rookie finalists;

Josh Kay - - - Northern Suburbs
Kelly Meafua - - - West Harbour
Reece Hodge - - - Manly
Will Munro - - - Randwick

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All power to these players.
Does your extensive database tell us if any super sub played minutes in all grades in one day? I'm sure it has happened on very limited occasions in the past - a front rower springs to mind but that's all I can remember.

It was Dan NICHOLSON from Manly Marlins on April 5 2014. He played 1/2 Fourth Grade, All Third grade, All but 2 minutes of Second Grade, and 9 minutes in his First Grade Debut (at 37 years old!).

286098-615a28de-bfca-11e3-9a65-7ae3511942af.jpg

Credit: Daily Telegraph

FORGET four seasons in one day — ironman Manly Marlins prop Dan Nicholson has played four grades in one afternoon.
In an amazing display of endurance and club spirit, the Marlins stalwart turned out in fourth, third, second and first grades against Parramatta at Granville last Saturday when other props went down like tenpins.
“I feel like I am 37,” the 37-year-old forward admitted as he made his way off the field following first grade’s 58-22 win.
What made the day even more memorable for the Collaroy real estate agent was that it was also his first grade debut.
The veteran forward had absolutely no idea what was about to unfold and thought he was just standing by for fourth grade.
“When I got there I found one of our first grade props Tim Fairbrother had done his hamstring,” Nicholson said.
He started in fourth grade but was pulled off at half-time because he was needed in third grade.
“We didn’t have any other proper front-rowers and I played the full game,” Nicholson said.
When prop Johnny Wunder suffered a severe cut to his forehead in seconds, Nicholson went back into battle and took part in all but two minutes of that grade.
With about nine minutes left in first grade coach Phil Blake gave Nicholson a run in the Marlins’ top side for the first time.

Full story by Jon GEDDES from THE DAILY TELEGRAPH on APRIL 09, 2014 is here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...or-manly-marlins/story-fnii0ksb-1226879284470

The Rugby Link Data on the website is not all that user friendly, particularly to answer the question you pose about a 2015 Super Sub. It probably could be done, but may take a fair bit of stuffing around to collect and massage the available data into a useful format. i am aware of a fair few lads who have played 2 full games due to an injury in the first minute or five this year, but can't recall too many who have done that along with some time in a third grade.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
According to the team sheets, in the round 5 fixture between Wicks and Emus, the following played in two grades:
Stephen Fifita, 1st and 3rd Grade
Ridge Nelson, 2nd and 3rd Grade (Started both grades - Full Games)
Kevin Palavi-Fiu, 1st and 2nd Grade
Jeffrey Piukala,2nd and 4th Grade (Started both grades - Full Games)
Benji Vaituutuu,1st and 4th Grade (Started both grades)
Saiaosi Vulinagaunavou, 1st and 2nd Grade (Started both grades)

No one is recorded as playing in 3 grades, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it didn't happen.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Jeez didn't realise it was manly v sydney uni today, having real trouble deciding who to go for. Think I'll just prey they belt the living crap out of each other :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well done Manly. Like most posters, I suspect, I support two clubs: my own, and whoever is playing Uni.

1997 still hurts, though! Willie O had a storming game that day, wonder whether Cliffy will emulate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.