• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
@ Brumby Runner regarding slowish 10's.

It's interesting how the game follows trends.
You may not have seen too much of Uni's 10,Ben Hughes, but he is very quick. Keep an eye out for him as he's on the rise after a miserable last season ruined by injury. In fact I think Uni's 9 and 10 combo( Jake Gordon and Hughes) may well be the quickest in Aus rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Gee Manly 3's very solid this year - are we seeing a house being built?
The big Vaka Manu returns from OS to lock the scrum and cause some mid field damage.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Tips for Round 10...
Marlins by 12
Woodies by 24
Wix by 8
Uni by 24
Rebels
West Harbour by 3 in the upset of the round

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Easts people (and people who've watched Easts play, how has the big Weegie, Steve Findlay going? Like to track my overseas Scots.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Tips for the week:

Maujnly
Eastwood
Randwick
Parramatta
Souths
Wests

Agree with you , bar Wests Rats to get up.

Two Blues to cause another upset.
The win against the woodies was poetry in motion.
The win against Gordon was ugly.
Tommorow might end up being ugly poetry, but we will get up.
The boys want this one.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Great Easts win. Pulver dives over for a converted try. Manly collapse again in second half. Easts forwards very good and judicious use of bench. Number 14 caused headaches for Manly. Ale offered nothing at the breakdown I thought. He should stop trying to hold players up to force a maul turnover. At one stage Easts went on another 15 M because of that tactic and then got a penalty. Perry, despite the hair, or may be because of it, was much more of a threat. Easts 13 was very classy. I don't know why more fresh legs were not used by Manly. Manly 8 was a handful. More damaging than Easts counterpart. Great to see Phil Mathers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Great Easts win. Pulver dives over for a converted try. Manly collapse again in second half. Easts forwards very good and judicious use of bench. Number 14 caused headaches for Manly. Ale offered nothing at the breakdown I thought. He should stop trying to hold players up to force a maul turnover. At one stage Easts went on another 15 M because of that tactic and then got a penalty. Perry, despite the hair, or may be because of it, was much more of a threat. Easts 13 was very classy. I don't know why more fresh legs were not used by Manly. Manly 8 was a handful. More damaging than Easts counterpart. Great to see Phil Mathers out there.

Hmmmmm , i wont bite but i know there will bd comments.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Hmmmmm , i wont bite but i know there will bd comments.

I will - Spawn after correctly calling the result earlier in the week you obviously weren't at the same game attended by DB and several of my Easts friends. Manly can't seem to close out the tight game but the play that lead to the final try by the grossly overrated Pulver came off a very dubious penalty against a legitimate Ale steal - it mystified supporters on both sides around me . That said big day for Beasts - job well done and the result stands.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I'm afraid I don't agree with that at all. I anticipated backlash though for being critical of Ale. I realise he's just back from a dreadful injury. I thought he was unlucky not to get a penalty for Easts not releasing in second half but same could be said for Perry. I'd be interested for views on why Manly can't close out games or get run down. When they were 22-5 up, I thought it was over. When the other team has the ball and have momentum, you can only get it back from set piece dominance (Manly don't have it but are on a par with opposition); offensive tackles (tiring players make that hard, or breakdown pressure from counterrucks or pilfers ( don't see enough). Anyway, just shows how tight the competition. Which is great to see.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So spewn - the Easts scrum never went backwards either loosing their own feed, and c on one occasion loosies being allowed to break while the ball was under our 8s feet.

I only wish i had the skill to edit and show.

Alas i dont, one for the memory bank.

Let's put it this way, my old man is Easts played in the year when all grades made the GF (69 i think it was?) He says the better team lost - so moving on to next week.

Gilby

Frank Row (1)
The better team might of lost but marlins sloppy today. no killer instinct to finish their breaks. Pili-Gaitau was a standout along with Turner at 15 scrum was dominant but lineout was sloppy. Easts never really gave in which was to be expected at home and marlins were probably slightly flat after last week. Didn't help losing bergelin pregame. Good kick from easts flyhalf to win the game who was one of their better players along with their big islander winger. Perry at 7 was noticable, looked good. Not the worlds best game, but good crowd good atmosphere. Pretty confident marlins will get them by 10 at home in 2 weeks. Off to beat down those shoreman next week at village green in between however.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Dave, I didn't say Easts were the better team. It was an exciting win. And I also said the set piece was equal. My question is why Manly fade. There is a pattern and I would have thought it was a concern.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The better team might of lost but marlins sloppy today. no killer instinct to finish their breaks. Pili-Gaitau was a standout along with Turner at 15 scrum was dominant but lineout was sloppy. Easts never really gave in which was to be expected at home and marlins were probably slightly flat after last week. Didn't help losing bergelin pregame. Good kick from easts flyhalf to win the game who was one of their better players along with their big islander winger. Perry at 7 was noticable, looked good. Not the worlds best game, but good crowd good atmosphere. Pretty confident marlins will get them by 10 at home in 2 weeks. Off to beat down those shoreman next week at village green in between however.

Line out - options are limited when you have a prop playing second row, and Harry Bergilen getting ruled out late in the week.

Also shouldn't be missed that this also changed the front row.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 10 Results

Intrust Shute Shield (1st Grade)
Eastern Suburbs 24 Manly 22
Eastwood 57 Gordon 18
Northern Suburbs 12 Randwick 10
Parramatta 9 Sydney University 14
Penrith 12 Southern Districts 87
West Harbour 35 Warringah 42

Colin Caird Shield (2nd Grade)
Eastern Suburbs 26 Manly 21
Eastwood 50 Gordon 21
Northern Suburbs 32 Randwick 34
Parramatta 20 Sydney University 21
Penrith 12 Southern Districts 54
West Harbour 29 Warringah 54

Henderson Shield (3rd Grade)
Eastern Suburbs 13 Manly 10
Eastwood 41 Gordon 7
Northern Suburbs 7 Randwick 17
Parramatta 7 Sydney University 24
Penrith 0 Southern Districts 88
West Harbour 0 Warringah 31

Henderson Cup (4th Grade)
Eastern Suburbs 35 Manly 15
Eastwood 57 Gordon 12
Northern Suburbs 10 Randwick 5
Parramatta 7 Sydney University 42
Penrith 5 Southern Districts 31
West Harbour 7 Warringah 38

Round 11 Games - 28 May
Manly v Northern Suburbs
Penrith v Parramatta
Randwick v Southern Districts (Sir Roden Cutler V.C. Shield Match)
Sydney University v Gordon
Warringah v Eastwood
West Harbour v Eastern Suburbs

Status
Not open for further replies.