• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tilse usually plays lock. Ryan, Latu & Robertson can be front row, and they have Sandell lurking around on the bench if all WorryTahs are available.

I don't think we will see the Wallaby players in Shute Shield, nor the usual starting 15, but I reckon the Tahs will release their regular bench players, & the EPS folk back to clubland.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
NSWRU website now has the details and it shows Wicks v Southern (Sat) and Norths v Rats (Sunday) kicking off at 3:10pm so they must be the televised games this weekend. Assume they will do both SFs next weekend.

Yeah, thats what they said after the game on Saturday on 7.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
So Grand Final Day location confirmed as North Sydney Oval.
Not sure about this, some views are not the best and I guess the bar section will be taken by the elite for this one, but nice pub across the road for pre and post match beers.
GAGR section on the hill?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So Grand Final Day location confirmed as North Sydney Oval.
Not sure about this, some views are not the best and I guess the bar section will be taken by the elite for this one, but nice pub across the road for pre and post match beers.
GAGR section on the hill?

They were out of all hot food well before half time on Saturday.

Starving.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
you will have to help me out all. why the furore about moving the gf away from concord? should it not be shared around each year to allow clubs to make a dollar? whats the main issues? I would like to see the colts gf moved to other grounds each year, other than foreshaw.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I reckon NSO is very picturesque and great to watch a bit of cricket.
Crap to watch Rugby.
I like Concord, even though it's a chore to get to.

But absolutely agree about Foreshaw, the only thing going for it is the canteen.
A few years ago when the field was literally underwater should have ensured that the finals series were moved permanently from there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Forshaw Rugby Park, chaps.

I have always assumed that it is named after the Forshaws who were heavily involved with the game with St George?

Can anybody confirm?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I reckon NSO is very picturesque and great to watch a bit of cricket. Crap to watch Rugby. I like Concord, even though it's a chore to get to.

Totally agree. NSO's a picture-perfect ground, best admired when there's NO sport being played on it. The only stand at (nearly) right angles to the field's the Molly Dive Stand at the northern end, and the eastern bit of that's obscured by a bloody big fig tree. Concord might be a chore to get to but at least there's some parking nearby in the local streets, try getting a park anywhere around North Sydney anytime. And NSO's got a cricket pitch in the middle, which should make it ineligible for finals matches. In my considered opinion after watching sport at Sydney suburban grounds for some 45 years NSO's best used for club games and cricket matches. I fail to see how putting the Shute Shield GF at NSO is going to make more money for rugby than Concord. What about the catering? I'd wager the council run all the canteens and bars at NSO, unlike Concord which are put on by West Harbour volunteers.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Forshaw Rugby Park, chaps.

I have always assumed that it is named after the Forshaws who were heavily involved with the game with St George?

Can anybody confirm?

I believe you are correct, Wamberal, for sure!
A post earlier this year corrected HJ for referring to it as Foreskin Park and mentioned that the ground was named after the Forshaw family.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Correct assumption regarding Canteens and Bars at NSO. I think the council put a bid in for the right to host it which they are entitled to do.

Also the cricket pitch is back to being a drop in aka Northern Spirit days so not problem regarding the cricket square.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I believe you are correct, Wamberal, for sure!
A post earlier this year corrected HJ for referring to it as Foreskin Park and mentioned that the ground was named after the Forshaw family.

Thanks, coach. I remember playing against one of the Forshaws at the old Hurstville Oval, way back when.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I reckon NSO is very picturesque and great to watch a bit of cricket.
Crap to watch Rugby.
I like Concord, even though it's a chore to get to.

But absolutely agree about Foreshaw, the only thing going for it is the canteen.
A few years ago when the field was literally underwater should have ensured that the finals series were moved permanently from there.
Where would you have suggest the games be played? Councils would have closed every other ground. Souths were not keen to have played as it took months for the ground to recover but let the game go ahead to keep everyone happy.
The reason why Forshaw get the Colts finals is because they apply for them
The other clubs dont want colts as there is no money. NSWRU take the gate money and luckily souths run there canteen and they have there clubhouse at the ground.
What other club has 3 change rooms and good parking except for the potholes and are not at the mercy of the council.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Let's divide the grounds up into those with and without cricket pitches.

Pitches: Easts, Gordon, Manly, Parramatta, Uni
No Pitches: Eastwood, Norths, Penrith, Randwick, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour

Now let's look at the matter of local parking and access

Good: Eastwood, Parramatta, Penrith, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour
Bad: Gordon, Easts, Manly, Norths, Randwick, Uni

To finish off let's look at crowd facilities, stands, etc.

Good: Easts, Eastwood, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour
Bad: Gordon, Manly, Norths, Parramatta, Penrith, Randwick, Uni

Eastwood, Souths, Warringah and West Harbour are the only clubs to feature on all three positive lists. Souths playing surface is always problematical, depending on recent rain, but it's a great ground to watch rugby. Easts gets more than its fair share of finals due to its position and it's relatively good to watch rugby, that's if the playing surface is OK. To my mind Eastwood, Warringah and West Harbour should get the lion's share of finals every year. Have the Rats sorted out their bunfight with the council over the canteen and function rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.