• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Let's divide the grounds up into those with and without cricket pitches.

Pitches: Easts, Gordon, Manly, Parramatta, Uni
No Pitches: Eastwood, Norths, Penrith, Randwick, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour

Now let's look at the matter of local parking and access

Good: Eastwood, Parramatta, Penrith, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour
Bad: Gordon, Easts, Manly, Norths, Randwick, Uni

To finish off let's look at crowd facilities, stands, etc.

Good: Easts, Eastwood, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour
Bad: Gordon, Manly, Norths, Parramatta, Penrith, Randwick, Uni

Eastwood, Souths, Warringah and West Harbour are the only clubs to feature on all three positive lists. Souths playing surface is always problematical, depending on recent rain, but it's a great ground to watch rugby. Easts gets more than its fair share of finals due to its position and it's relatively good to watch rugby, that's if the playing surface is OK. To my mind Eastwood, Warringah and West Harbour should get the lion's share of finals every year. Have the Rats sorted out their bunfight with the council over the canteen and function rights?

Not sure where the information on pitches is coming from Lindommer!

No pitches : Warringah, Norths, Souths, Uni, Easts, Eastwood, Penrith, Parramatta, West Harbour

Pitches : Gordon, Manly, Randwick

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Everyone will have a different opinion on a final venue.
Personally I dont like Souths, hardest ground for me to get to, no public transport options and the stands are at the mercy of the weather.

I have no problem with North Sydney getting it, its just not a great ground to view the games from - as I said earlier I assume the only decent stand will be taken up by the ARU/NSWRU/SRU and sponsors.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not sure where the information on pitches is coming from Lindommer!

From when I was last there. Last time I played at Woollahra (OK, about 50 years ago!) there was a pitch in the middle as there was when my son played there 6/8 years ago. Uni 2 used to have a pitch, dunno it doesn't have one now.

Happy to be corrected.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
TV Camera height/angle and crowd capacity rule out TG Milner and Foreshaw and many others. Google tells me the 2014 GF attendance was 7k and I imagine that was higher last year with Manly. Public transport should also be taken into account for which NSO is probably the best.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't the TV stations put their own camera towers up when broadcasting from the wild? I would've thought the western stand at TG Millner's plenty high enough for camera angles. No trouble with crowd capacity at Millner.

Forshaw? Wouldn't recommend the GF be played there but it's OK for other finals with the proviso the playing surface is up to scratch. The clubhouse at Forshaw's well set up with the sun setting behind it and enough space on the front terraces for those who don't want to sit on the grassy banks.

If I was allocating grounds for finals I'd have Rat Park and Concord in the frame for the GF, good stands and plenty of parking. I sincerely doubt many rugby supporters are going to catch public transport to the GF.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't the TV stations put their own camera towers up when broadcasting from the wild? I would've thought the western stand at TG Millner's plenty high enough for camera angles. No trouble with crowd capacity at Millner.

Forshaw? Wouldn't recommend the GF be played there but it's OK for other finals with the proviso the playing surface is up to scratch. The clubhouse at Forshaw's well set up with the sun setting behind it and enough space on the front terraces for those who don't want to sit on the grassy banks.

If I was allocating grounds for finals I'd have Rat Park and Concord in the frame for the GF, good stands and plenty of parking. I sincerely doubt many rugby supporters are going to catch public transport to the GF.

Actually, beside Concord surely Rat Park would the next best option. Surely it would look quite full which is always better for TV.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I was shocked a few weeks ago when a friend of mine who hates Union invite me to a Norths game. He lives down the road from NSO and there must be some decent council advertising as to what's happening there. For that reason I reckon it's a good idea. How many people who live within walking distance of CO care about what goes on there?

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Let's divide the grounds up into those with and without cricket pitches.

Pitches: Easts, Gordon, Manly, Parramatta, Uni
No Pitches: Eastwood, Norths, Penrith, Randwick, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour

Now let's look at the matter of local parking and access

Good: Eastwood, Parramatta, Penrith, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour
Bad: Gordon, Easts, Manly, Norths, Randwick, Uni

To finish off let's look at crowd facilities, stands, etc.

Good: Easts, Eastwood, Souths, Warringah, West Harbour
Bad: Gordon, Manly, Norths, Parramatta, Penrith, Randwick, Uni

Eastwood, Souths, Warringah and West Harbour are the only clubs to feature on all three positive lists. Souths playing surface is always problematical, depending on recent rain, but it's a great ground to watch rugby. Easts gets more than its fair share of finals due to its position and it's relatively good to watch rugby, that's if the playing surface is OK. To my mind Eastwood, Warringah and West Harbour should get the lion's share of finals every year. Have the Rats sorted out their bunfight with the council over the canteen and function rights?

I think Parramatta should host GF this year at MRSL rugby park.

As we will be in the Grand Final next year. It wouldn't be fair of us to host it then , with the whole home ground advantage thing........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I was shocked a few weeks ago when a friend of mine who hates Union invite me to a Norths game. He lives down the road from NSO and there must be some decent council advertising as to what's happening there. For that reason I reckon it's a good idea. How many people who live within walking distance of CO care about what goes on there?

Norths have played a particularly uptempo and flowing game plan this season. Perhaps they were able lure away from the dark side which I assume is League.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd use the following criteria to rate the grounds ie access via public transport, parking, spectator comfort (including viewing), facilities, playing surface.

Public transport:
I travel to most grounds by public transport and all are accessible in a reasonable time (about 1 hour) with no more than a 30 minute walk, except Penrith and Warringah.

Parking:
NSO and Manly are expensive with virtually no free parking if you attend all 4 games.
Uni and Gordon are difficult also, but not impossible.
All others have free street parking available without having to walk too far.

Spectator Comfort:
The best grounds IMO have covered, elevated seating parallel to the sidelines.
Best are Warringah, Eastwood, Chatswood (although an oval), Uni, and Concord.
NSO has plenty of covered seating but none parallel to the sideline.
Worst are Easts (standing room only, and Parra (low level and obscured by camera platform).
Other grounds are OK, but generally lack covered seating or the seating is not parallel.

Facilities (toilets, canteen, etc)
Best are Uni, Wests, Manly, Eastwood.
Warringah canteen lets them down.
Parra has a great canteen but poor toilets.
Toilets at Chatswood, Parra and Coogee are very ordinary.

Playing Surface:
Best are Uni, Concord, NSO, Coogee.
Worst by far is Easts which borders on dangerous.

The other factor which should be taken into account for the GF is neutrality. I'm all in favour of playing the QFs and SFs at the home ground of the highest placed team, but the GF should be at a neutral ground for 1st grade. It's been obvious for many weeks that Wests would not make the playoffs and also probable that Norths would, so the GF should be at Concord IMO.

PS: I don't believe the cricket pitch issue is a factor and these days it only really affects play at Manly, Norths and Gordon. There is a pitch at Coogee but it's on the eastern wing.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Let the team that finishes with the wooden spoon host it.

Gets them to come together as a club and host the huge day,

Any ground looks good when packed to the rafters.

Also gives them a nice cash injection for the next season.

They may not be in the finals but will still have club pride in the line for that day.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Let the team that finishes with the wooden spoon host it.

Gets them to come together as a club and host the huge day,

Any ground looks good when packed to the rafters.

Also gives them a nice cash injection for the next season.

They may not be in the finals but will still have club pride in the line for that day.

GF at Penrith?
Their Emu burgers are great, but I'm not sure that would be enough to get people to travel that far if they're already complaining that Concord is hard to get to.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Everyone will have a different opinion on a final venue.
Personally I dont like Souths, hardest ground for me to get to, no public transport options and the stands are at the mercy of the weather.

I have no problem with North Sydney getting it, its just not a great ground to view the games from - as I said earlier I assume the only decent stand will be taken up by the ARU/NSWRU/SRU and sponsors.

Souths is less than 30 minutes walk from Miranda train station, but I agree about the stands.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Woodies have named a very powerful side and should give the Corporation a red hot contest. I thought the Corporation would have a few more Tahs playing but as mentioned above Player Points is a consideration.

The Randi-Wix mean business and have rolled out a star studded back line, and a fairly accomplished Engine Room as well.

Some pearler games on offer this weekend.

I'm tipping Woodies, Wix, Shoremen. All could be very very close fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.