• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Will be interesting to see how Warringah go looks like they have lost a whole back row(Ward, Cunningham to HK, Killingworth to 7's), one front rower + a bit of second grade depth (Stanley) & potentially Angus?

Harry Jones should be available more throughout this season and Tyson Davis has another year of experience.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I think he is ahead of Roach at the moment in terms of toughness and carrying & scrum.

Roach does have a bit of X Factor in turning ball over and is a capable runner as well as not being bad at line out time.

There is actually no comparison, Latu is a country mile ahead of Roach.

W

Wilsonmate

There actually is a comparison...as stated above...which are all spot on...so your argument which states, well, nothing, is in fact a country mile away from having any relevance whatsoever

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
There actually is a comparison.as stated above.which are all spot on.so your argument which states, well, nothing, is in fact a country mile away from having any relevance whatsoever
Intruder, it's customary to give some evidence or background information to support a comment on a player's standing or ability compared to another's in these forums. If you just say X is a mile ahead of / better than / should be chosen ahead of Y, there's nothing to debate. It's just your opinion and sounds very partisan. Try and back up such comments with evidence and reasoning.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Will be interesting to see how Warringah go looks like they have lost a whole back row(Ward, Cunningham to HK, Killingworth to 7's), one front rower + a bit of second grade depth (Stanley) & potentially Angus?

Harry Jones should be available more throughout this season and Tyson Davis has another year of experience.

Harry jones may also have a lot of Waratahs duties 2016, so he may not be as available as you hope.
https://www.sydneyunirugby.com.au/article/young-tahs-begin-pre-pre-season
I think Harry is the one the pros will be looking at and an earlier post suggests he is already "engaged to be engaged" by the Tahs.

What surprises me is that commentators haven't picked up on his ability to kick the ball a long way with either foot - which is part of the reason why you see him playing on either wing with equal facility.

I see that he has porked up to 104kgs and big wingers are highly regarded these days.

I think Harry has a big future once he learns to read play defensively better as all young wingers have to do. He was beaten a few times against Canberra`in the NRC because of bad reads but was usually fast enough to correct matters.

I was disappointed that the Rays couldn't find a spot for him, if that was the case: he played in the Warringah district since the Under 10s.

Watch this space on H. Jones.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Intruder, it's customary to give some evidence or background information to support a comment on a player's standing or ability compared to another's in these forums. If you just say X is a mile ahead of / better than / should be chosen ahead of Y, there's nothing to debate. It's just your opinion and sounds very partisan. Try and back up such comments with evidence and reasoning.

Latu younger than Roach.
- Dominant over Roach in ball carrying
- Dominant over Roach in physical contact/breakdown/defence
- Latu general ball skill greater than Roach
- Latu scrummaging on par with young a TPN (regarded as Australia's best scrummager). Far dominant over Roach in that area.
- Latu better Game Knowledge better than Roach (As expected with the more top level games)
- Latu already set to board the plane on Wallabies EOYT post Super Rugby 2016
- Roach massive engine long term 7 (Similar Michael Hooper fold)
- Roach very nippy however not big/strong enough set piece.

Roach expected to head overseas post 2016 season

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Unless he can improve his scrummaging, I think Roach's best hope of a real professional career is at 7.

@PassItToDunning, You don't seem to be much of a fan of Latu either, based on your post below. So I'm guessing TPN is the top pick in your book?

Bit worried seeing Paddy Ryan and Tolu Latu getting shown up repeatedly by the Southern Districts scrum this afternoon. Doesn't bode well for the Tahs next year. Here's hoping Ta'avao is the answer.

G

greg woods

On another subject does everyone think that Jed Holloway will get first crack at number 8 for the waratahs?

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
@PassItToDunning, You don't seem to be much of a fan of Latu either, based on your post below. So I'm guessing TPN is the top pick in your book?

I believe that game was one where Latu was playing as a prop. But I'll take Latu over Roach any day. The scrum got torn to pieces when Roach was the starting hooker against the Cheetahs.

And yes, TPN is the top pick. Is anyone saying he's not the best hooker in NSW right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.