• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^Ironic that North Sydney council has traditionally been either hostile or at most grudgingly accepting of rugby at NSO. Anything to do with the fact that nowadays bascially no one else uses the ground in winter?

Back in the day Norths league, rugby, aussie rules and hockey all played there during the winter months (hence the Kalahari desert nickname).

I'd have thought that Concord Oval would be a better venue for both participants and spectators. Maybe it's too far from St Leonard's and the cab far back to Mosman after a few refreshments in the VIP area is too much from Concord?

Added to which, Norths are a fairly good chance of playing in the decider.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Speaking personally, Mrs Wamberal and I are far more likely to attend a GF at North Sydney Oval. We would be staying in the CBD, and it is much easier to get to North Sydney Oval than Concord by public transport for us anyway.

It boggles my mind that a Council would be offering inducements for a relatively low key event. Oh for the good old SFS days.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
much better view at Concord Oval but would be a nice change to have the GF at a traditional SS venue such as NSO.
West Harbour hopefully have benefited over the years financially for hosting the event.
Anyway, no matter what anyone does and what decision is made in Club Rugby, I've come to learn that most will whinge.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
But they have proved over and over this season, that they can't play 80.
They won't be getting Lucas,Palu,Hodge,Neville etc etc to hide their deficiencies this year.

They showed zero starch v the Rats.
it was a must win game in terms of the ladder, a big local derby a few weeks before the finals,and they were insipid.
They never fired a shot.
Apart from the Riff,it was by far the easiest game the Rats played all year.
Time to stack the lower grades and hope to get something out of the year.

I hear the ref scored 2 for you yesterday, and was helpful.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
IMO, North Sydney Oval is a crap ground to watch the game at.
It's the only ground (other than Manly and Chatswood) which is still an oval and none of the stands are parallel to the sidelines. And the parking situation is also an issue. I hope the GF remains at Concord --- at least we know for certain it will be a neutral venue.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Fantastic day at Merrylands on Saturday, great atmosphere as always and food and drink was top notch yet again.
Curried sausages were perfect and that new bar area works too easily for a mid game refill!!!
Norths were just too strong in all aspects of the game but Parra fought bravely. Norths have some big units in all grades and will be hard to stop if they have home advantage all the way.
Only sour note was the injury that required the ambo but hopefully all ok?
And the fact that there were no xl pools left on sale

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wonder if North Sydney Council will suspend the operation of its (very expensive) parking meters while the rugby is on?;)
Probably why the Council is prepared to throw some $ towards SRU for hosting rights.

I reckon that they must have the most vigilant parking inspectors around, having had to make some contributions to Council funds over the years.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Mosman Council at Balmoral Beach holds the award for the most vigilant. Received a $106 fine and my ticket was on the fucking dashboard. Trying to argue but jeez they must be in need of some cash.
8000 at NSO would be a nice atmosphere. Percy will be licking his lips.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Probably why the Council is prepared to throw some $ towards SRU for hosting rights.

I reckon that they must have the most vigilant parking inspectors around, having had to make some contributions to Council funds over the years.

Yes, overstayers will be punished in addition to the funds put into the meter. NSC rangers are a zealous breed.

tahfanman

Bob McCowan (2)
GG did not deliver the consistency displayed throughout the season in any grade yesterday. All 4 grades convincingly beaten. Particularly worrying was 1st grade's 1st hour of play. Whilst defense despite the scoreline was pretty consistent against a flash Woods team playing good momentum football their attack was truly poor. Poor errors across the park, very similar to Norths game up at North Sydney oval a month or so ago. Big game v rats next weeks, Wicks finishing below 4th would be extremely disappointing. Horwitz needed in that backline. Hopefully Brumbies win again and tahs lose :), cant let a good season go to waste.

tahfanman

Bob McCowan (2)
In the TV game today rats v Easts, referee was diabolical. Some seriously sub-standard officiating. On the positive side Josh Holmes certainly can find the try line, 4 tries today in a massive game from the scrumhalf.

Sad to see Easts go (I think), a real darkhorse of the competition who really improved the quality of the comp. Saw them play 3 games throughout the year where they looked a top 4 side. Maybe they lacked belief and or fitness to win clutch games (Or a Josh Holmes)? But some high caliber youngsters as good as any in the shute shield which bodes well for future years. Rowan Perry and Archi King were standouts in the few games I watched and from what I heard. Perry looks a very complete number 7 capable of higher honors. Also two of the hardest running second rowers in the SS in Lee Warner and BJ Edwards I remember from the epic away clash at woollahra.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sad to see Easts go (I think), a real darkhorse of the competition who really improved the quality of the comp. Saw them play 3 games throughout the year where they looked a top 4 side. Maybe they lacked belief and or fitness to win clutch games (Or a Josh Holmes)? But some high caliber youngsters as good as any in the shute shield which bodes well for future years. Rowan Perry and Archi King were standouts in the few games I watched and from what I heard. Perry looks a very complete number 7 capable of higher honors. Also two of the hardest running second rowers in the SS in Lee Warner and BJ Edwards I remember from the epic away clash at woollahra.

They looked like world beaters for the 20 minutes either side of half time yesterday. Were fairly ordinary for the first 20 and let in two tries in the last 10 minutes to go down in a close one. Hopefully the youngsters will learn from it.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
Haha,not saying we will be there at the end.
Just that I've ripped up my cash backing the Marlins for this year, as they are hapless.

I made a comment after round 11 that the Marlins had problems both with the coachs and the board and I was called a insider or a friend of a ex marlin .Let me say again that MMMs have Major issues within.
It appears that they are still picking players out of form.
Looking forward to seeing them get beaten again this coming Sat at NSO.
Maybe a year for the red an black

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I made a comment after round 11 that the Marlins had problems .........
It appears that they are still picking players out of form.
Looking forward to seeing them get beaten again this coming Sat at NSO.
Maybe a year for the red an black
Their problem is there is no one putting pressure on 1's players to perform.
Their only first grade standard 2rowers have been injured long term,as has the 9.without him,they don't have 1st grade standard at 9,10,12 in the entire club.
At the start of last year,they had strong 1st grade props in 3's.
This year they were embarrassed by the Rats scrum (who had one of those 3rd graders at prop against them!)
The new coach will be sure to have a big war chest for when he starts his massive recruiting drive for next year.
It's probably also a good time to be a leaving schoolboy star, they will have to throw plenty of $$ amongst them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.