• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Again guys thanks for all the support with regards to the oval.

Heres to a great weekend of quality rugby, all three games look to be titanic battles.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Quick calculation of maximum annual return for the carpark:
500 cars x $30 each x 365 days = >$5m per year.
I can see why the council is interested.
But surely it would be less expensive to build another multistory carpark (maybe on the site of the Manly Council Chambers ;)) rather than destroying Manly Oval.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not really.
The driver for the proposal is to redevelop an existing 300+ car park, the redevelopment includes substantial footage that the council will occupy,at I presume market rates.
so I struggle to see any upside for the council.
Anyway.....back to the topic of the thread, if it all turns to shit,5 or 6 of the Marlins could probably get a run in the Rats 2's if they improved a little;)

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Flicking through some of the comments on the petition - it is great seeing current players and supporters from other clubs jumping on board.

One of the great things about club rugby.

I echo DB's comments . Great to see the great support coming from GAGR community please continue to get the message to sign the petition out there - the (hopefully) good news is as of last night it seems the current administrator of the new Northern Beaches Council is prepared to meet with the club next week . The need to fix the encroachment on the playing surface under the current DA is a non negotiable . It is a half baked proposal and massively unpopular with the Manly community

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Corporation put The Woodies out of the Semis, and The Hobbits do likewise to the Wix.

Tomorrows teams have two lives. The Winner gets to play the Hobbits in a semi, & the Loser plays The Corporation.
<snip>
I'm tipping Woodies, Wix, Shoremen. All could be very very close fixtures.
Nailed two from three so far, on the wrong side of the ledger. :)
The trifecta for me will be if the Shoremen lose tomorrow.

According to Twitter & Google:
First Grade:
Sydney University (1) 41 Eastwood (6) 32
Southern Districts (2) 29 Randwick (5) 26

Second Grade:
Sydney University (5) 24 Eastwood (2) 23
Eastern Suburbs (1) 38 Warringah (6) 14

Third Grade:
Sydney University (1) 22 Manly (6) 12
Warringah (3) 29 Northern Suburbs (4) 10

Fourth Grade:
Sydney University (2) 22 Randwick 17 (5)
Eastern Suburbs (3) 12 Southern Districts (4) 10

Tomorrow:
First Grade: Northern Suburbs (3) v Warringah (4)
Second Grade: Randwick (3) v Manly (4)
Third Grade: Eastwood (2) v Eastern Suburbs (5)
Fourth Grade: Northern Suburbs (1) v Eastwood (6)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
A few weird decisions from the officials in the Wicks v South QF today:
(1) A report from the AR on the western sideline just before halftime saw Brogan Roods yellow carded for a nothing push and shove. There was really no need for him to even make a report.
(2) The same AR in the second half somehow saw 2 Wicks players in a contest in the air when the TV replays clearly showed only Hanigan was involved (the Wicks number 8 mentioned by the AR wasn't within 10m) and it appeared to be a fair contest with an accidental fall at the end of it -- penalty to Souths when it should have been play on.
(3) Peter Nau yellow carded for entering a rolling maul from the side when the TV clearly showed he was bound at the back of the maul which then screwed sideways --- try from the ensuing penalty to Souths.

I wish I could say the better team won, but really there was nothing between them all day and Souths definitely got the rub of the green today. That's my winge out of the way!

Good luck to the remaining 4 teams and I hope the SS is won by a team other than Uni for a change. Nothing against Uni but it would be nice for a different team to win.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Eastwood have won the last two Shute Shields, and in 2011.

University however have won seven of the last 10.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A few weird decisions from the officials in the Wicks v South QF today:
(1) A report from the AR on the western sideline just before halftime saw Brogan Roods yellow carded for a nothing push and shove. There was really no need for him to even make a report.
(2) The same AR in the second half somehow saw 2 Wicks players in a contest in the air when the TV replays clearly showed only Hanigan was involved (the Wicks number 8 mentioned by the AR wasn't within 10m) and it appeared to be a fair contest with an accidental fall at the end of it -- penalty to Souths when it should have been play on.
(3) Peter Nau yellow carded for entering a rolling maul from the side when the TV clearly showed he was bound at the back of the maul which then screwed sideways --- try from the ensuing penalty to Souths.

I wish I could say the better team won, but really there was nothing between them all day and Souths definitely got the rub of the green today. That's my winge out of the way!

Good luck to the remaining 4 teams and I hope the SS is won by a team other than Uni for a change. Nothing against Uni but it would be nice for a different team to win.

Spot on coach

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Corporation put The Woodies out of the Semis, and The Hobbits do likewise to the Wix.

Tomorrows teams have two lives. The Winner gets to play the Hobbits in a semi, & the Loser plays The Corporation.

Nailed two from three so far, on the wrong side of the ledger. :)
The trifecta for me will be if the Shoremen lose tomorrow.

According to Twitter & Google:
First Grade:
Sydney University (1) 41 Eastwood (6) 32
Southern Districts (2) 29 Randwick (5) 26

I assume this means that Eastwood and Randwick are out, regardless of results Sunday?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yup. If teams ranked 5 and 6 don't win their QF's then they are goooooone.

The three winners for your SF slots will be #1, #2 and the winner of #3 v #4.
The highest ranked loser for the final SF slot will be the loser of #3 v #4.

Woodies were #6 and Randi-Wix were #5. 2016 minor premiership competition ladder was very tight with a cigarette papers thickness between the top 8 teams,

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Coach - it is interesting how the rub of the green evens out over time . In the last match between SD and Randwick, which was also televised , Randwick had the rub of the green - there was a very dubious scrum penalty given to Randwick which allowed them to clear from deep inside their half , followed immediately by another very dubious breakdown penalty to Randwick which saw a lineout from which the hooker and Hoiles manufactured a clever try. This sealed the game for Randwick and denied SD a first minor premiership. Without that win Randwick would have missed the finals and Manly would have been playing yesterday.
It has been a season of close calls and it seems the finals will be no different .

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach - it is interesting how the rub of the green evens out over time . In the last match between SD and Randwick, which was also televised , Randwick had the rub of the green - there was a very dubious scrum penalty given to Randwick which allowed them to clear from deep inside their half , followed immediately by another very dubious breakdown penalty to Randwick which saw a lineout from which the hooker and Hoiles manufactured a clever try. This sealed the game for Randwick and denied SD a first minor premiership. Without that win Randwick would have missed the finals and Manly would have been playing yesterday.
It has been a season of close calls and it seems the finals will be no different .

Three games between Wicks and Souths this year and the total points difference was 10 points. When the teams are that evenly matched you really need the refs to get their decisions right. I accept they are only human and don't make anywhere near the same number of mistakes as the players, but I have a real problem when they report that they've seen things which weren't there and didn't happen, regardless of who wins.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wow. The proverbial game of two halves. Wind effect??

It was most certainly a game of two halves . There was a strong wind which favoured Eastwood in the first half. Some errant kicking and lineout throwing was an early feature until the players adapted to the conditions . Eastwood ,as expected, came to play and dominated the first half . They scored a couple of tries from strong runs around the ruck in centre field and their big lock was a constant problem for Uni. An intercept by Jim Stewart on his 22 led to a try under the posts which keep Uni in the game .
After half time , Uni was much tighter around the ruck defensively and wore down a determined Eastwood . The Uni fly half started to run more as he had more time and space. It may well be the best game Dunbar has played for Uni. Jim Stewart's ball running was a big problem all day for Eastwood .
Really good game which followed another great game in 2nd grade .

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I did not see the game, but I gather that the intercept try was a 14 point turnaround.

That could have been the game, right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.