• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Except if the team have used their full quota of replacements (7).

That's not correct either. The only limit to injury replacements is that there is an available player on the bench - either fresh or a substituted player who is allowed to return under the Laws of the game eg a front rower.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's not correct either. The only limit to injury replacements is that there is an available player on the bench - either fresh or a substituted player who is allowed to return under the Laws of the game eg a front rower.

That's simply not the case.

3.4 Players nominated as substitutes
(a)
For international matches a Union may nominate up to eight replacements/substitutes.
(b)
For other matches, the Union or match organiser with jurisdiction over the match decides how many replacements/substitutes may be nominated to a maximum of eight.
(c)
A Union (or Unions, where a match or competition is played between teams from two or more Unions) may decide how many replacements/substitutes may be nominated to a maximum of eight.
(d)
A team can substitute up to three front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (b) and (c)) and up to five other players.
(e)
Substitutions may only be made when the ball is dead and with the permission of the referee.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The officials were referring to "the competition rules"as opposed to the Laws of Rugby. Not sure what they are but the ref's comment was something along the lines of "let's play on and someone else can sort it out later".

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
True, but the competition rules are still bound by the laws of rugby, specifically 3.4 (b) which places a limit on the number of substitutes.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
True, but the competition rules are still bound by the laws of rugby, specifically 3.4 (b) which places a limit on the number of substitutes.

Yes but my point is that the replacement of an injured player is a replacement not a substitution so 3.4d is not relevant.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
3.4b stipulates how may players are on the bench not how many substitutions or replacements are allowed.

eg a team substitutes 8 players for the 8 players on the bench with still 20 minutes remaining. All substitutions have now been used. However this does not prevent a front rower replacing an injured front rower or a substituted player replacing a bleeding player in the last 20 minutes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
3.4b stipulates how may players are on the bench not how many substitutions or replacements are allowed.

eg a team substitutes 8 players for the 8 players on the bench with still 20 minutes remaining. All substitutions have now been used. However this does not prevent a front rower replacing an injured front rower or a substituted player replacing a bleeding player in the last 20 minutes.

You're wrong, but let's agree to disagree and move on.

There's an upper limit to the number of replacements/substitutes as explained in this IRB explanation it's not unlimited.
http://www.rugby365.com/article/50101-irb-clears-up-bench

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The IRB explains it differently to me but it is the same effect. You are allowed up to 6 substitutions / replacements for front rowers ie you can make 3 substitutions and then those substituted players can return if any or all of the bench front rowers are injured.
I acknowledge that I did say it was unlimited but that it was effectively capped by not having either a fresh front rower or a substituted front rower available on the bench which is effectively a limit of 6 front rower subs/replacements which is how the IRB clarified it.
My point was that an injured front rower can return even after 3 front rower substitutions have occurred (or even 8 team substitutions) and the IRB article you attached confirms this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The IRB explains it differently to me but it is the same effect. You are allowed up to 6 substitutions / replacements for front rowers ie you can make 3 substitutions and then those substituted players can return if any or all of the bench front rowers are injured.
I acknowledge that I did say it was unlimited but that it was effectively capped by not having either a fresh front rower or a substituted front rower available on the bench which is effectively a limit of 6 front rower subs/replacements which is how the IRB clarified it.
My point was that an injured front rower can return even after 3 front rower substitutions have occurred (or even 8 team substitutions) and the IRB article you attached confirms this.

Infinite was the only point of disagreement.:)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Great initiative and interacting at Grassroots level

aa.jpg

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was good to see the Marlins out early at Manly wharf this morning promoting this weekend's game. A nice change from having to dodge the various political candidates for tomorrow's by-election.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
For those that care, it seems Norths will play Souths on Easter Friday. So you watch three games, two live and Manly v MTBs on telly when you get home on saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.