• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is a precedent for Easts playing home games at Weigall - they played there in 1979 and I found a game played there in 1928. Wests also seem to have played at Weigall.
My memory is fading but I think the gates on Neild Ave meant that Easts could actually raise some funds in 1979.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
There is a precedent for Easts playing home games at Weigall - they played there in 1979 and I found a game played there in 1928. Wests also seem to have played at Weigall.
My memory is fading but I think the gates on Neild Ave meant that Easts could actually raise some funds in 1979.
Uni played Wests there in 1924

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Club rugby dining at its best
IMG_2252.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah its pretty good. Eastwood look a bit switched off actually - like they can just chuck it wide and run around them.

The woodies look alright when they tuck and go, but some of those midfield kicks? Nup.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We really miss Ayoub. But take nothing away from Wests backline, both in attack and defense they look pretty good to me. Some very nice touches.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Great win by the Pirates. Just did the little things right in terms of supporting the ball carrier.

That Osborne guy for Eastwood (22?) is the least steppy back three replacement of all time. Just run straight bro.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I'd suggest you've jumped to a lot of conclusions with a minimum of supporting evidence, Done That.

I'm not sure why the TV had to decide which games to cover for the first 7 rounds in advance of round 1, maybe there are valid logistical reasons.

The schedule for the first 7 weeks will cover all teams at least once, except Penrith. Maybe Penrith and Easts will be the TV game in round 8 instead of Norths v Wicks or Eastwood v Souths. I hope not.

I'm really not sure what having a TV game does for a club except probably reducing the home team's gate takings. I may be wrong, but I don't think the home team's sponsors even get a plug during the telecast.

I doubt that showing uneven contests like Manly (60) v Parramatta (0) (and I suspect Woods v Wests this week could be similar) does anything for the losing team or the game in general. Surely Gordon v Parramatta would have been a more attractive and even game for telecast this weekend and given exposure to two of the teams who have struggled in recent years.

As I said above there may have been valid reasons for deciding which games to cover so far in advance but I would suggest that providing coverage for all teams within the first several rounds could have still been achieved by deciding week-to-week which games to show and still making sure the top games were covered. After all, surely the objective is to present a product that is attractive to the target audience.
Well bugger me, there I was all settled in to watch an "uneven contest" as predicted, instead of a close game like Manly v Wicks , & bloody Wests ruined the day.
Channel 7(2) really stuffed up choosing this match.
How can this be good for our game?
LOL.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I missed the 2nd half. What was the final score?

West Harbour 41 Eastwood 26
Warringah 29 Southern Districts 24
Manly 46 Randwick 27 (Manly looking ominous this year)
Northern Suburbs 24 Eastern Suburbs 22
Uni 52 Penrith 21
Gordon 41 Parramatta 34
Table
Manly 30
Norths 30
Eastwood 22
Warringah 22
Randwick 20
Southern Districts 17
Gordon 17
Uni 15
West Harbour 5
Easts 7
Parramatta 2
Penrith 1

Couldofbeen

Bob McCowan (2)
West Harbour 41 Eastwood 26
Warringah 29 Southern Districts 24
Manly 46 Randwick 27 (Manly looking ominous this year)
Northern Suburbs 24 Eastern Suburbs 22
Uni 52 Penrith 21
Gordon 41 Parramatta 34
Table
Manly 25
Norths 25
Eastwood 21
Randwick 20
Warringah 17
Southern Districts 16
Gordon 12
Uni 10