• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Manly and the Rats both looked somewhat overawed by the occasion IMO.
Although the scores were close and the intensity high I didn't think it was a very entertaining game, as a neutral observer watching on TV. Any thoughts?

I did not watch the game, we are overseas ATM. However, in my opinion games that are between traditional sides with histories are interesting in and for themselves, irrespective of the skills, standards, razzle dazzle etc etc.

That is one reason I am certain that a competition built around the SS is the way to go for the game more broadly in Australia. That is how the AFL did it. That is how the NRL did it.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
What the heck... ?! Did anyone see Hilterbrand untie Holmes' shoelace in Saturday's game! Most bizarre thing. At about 56 mins I think. (I have the video but can't work out how to upload it here...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiwiBattler

Bob McCowan (2)
Wicks 3rds turned up expecting a non-comp game, but Penrith didn't turn up --- no notice to players or fans apparently.

Emus seconds only had 15 players, 1 walked off and so we then had uncontested scrums. One player appeared to be knocked out but got up and kept playing.

Huxley played 15 in 1sts, apparently due again to a player shortage.

Premier rugby is 4 grades and 3 colts --- Penrith are only competing in 2 grades and 2 colts. Total score yesterday: 325 to 31.

How long can this continue in Sydney's premier rugby competition?

I imagine the purpose is to somehow have a Rugby Union presence all the way to the West end of Sydney. Unsure whether it's doing more harm than good though.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I imagine the purpose is to somehow have a Rugby Union presence all the way to the West end of Sydney. Unsure whether it's doing more harm than good though.
I think that was the original intent but after 22 years they're still struggling in spite of the best efforts of many people. Not sure their subbies record justified their promotion in 1995.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think that was the original intent but after 22 years they're still struggling in spite of the best efforts of many people. Not sure their subbies record justified their promotion in 1995.

Ooops did i just dump some body in it

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

That's correct, but alas they really needed extended, long term support from NSWRU to achieve anything. Certainly for a while in the late 90s to the early 00s, NSWRU supported them with DOs, and a paid colts co-ordinator among other things. They were actually on the improve at that point. In those not so far off times they fielded 4 x grade and 4 x colts teams. The 1sts in grade and colts were competive and improving, 2nds in both were competitive with some clubs and not others and the standard fell away after that. I used to remark how much respect I had for those lower grade and colts guys who used to turn up all season despite big scores.

What happened unfortunately that the NSWRU pulled their support, one of their many financial crises/bankruptcies and with no support the poor old Emus went into sharp decline. It's probably almost unsalvageable now, and I tend to agree that it's doing more harm than good in its current form.

Sadlly another example of an opportunity lost for the game of rugby, but we've become all too used to it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
More contempt for the SS with the Waratah junket to Japan this week.
Why on earth couldn't that have been timed to coincide with the SS bye weekend on 17/6? Not only have clubs lost the services of their regular Waratah players but also the fringe squad members who have been playing for their clubs every weekend. Crap:mad:

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs...ARATAHS-SEE-THE-SUN-RISE-IN-A-NEW-MARKET.aspx

Pity they can't look after their old market in which rugby isn't going so well.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree, QH --- the Emus had some notable wins over Randwick in those days, including at Coogee Oval. What a waste.

IIRC the win over Randwick at Coogee was in 2011. This was a long time after NSWRU pulled the funding and DOs.

I believe Penrith First Grade have only ever had 1 decent season which was 1999 when they won 10 games.

I don't recall their Colts ever having that type of Season.

At the same time, I would be disappointed to see them go.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I believe Penrith First Grade have only ever had 1 decent season which was 1999 when they won 10 games.

I don't recall their Colts ever having that type of Season.

Their colts never had that type of season, but they were competitive i.e. losing Colts 1 by one or two tries and winning the odd game, which is a far cry from not even fielding Colts 1 because of a sequence of 80-100 point losses.

The venture out there was a long term one, funding it for 5 years or so was never going to be enough. The funding and support should have been cutting out about now and we'd probably have a strong club out there.

But we know that the NSWRU never think long term. And let's not forget that this funding was pulled just after the ARU had $31 million in the bank after RWC 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.