• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I propose that the Shute Shield clubs explore the possibility of affiliating directly to world rugby.

Interesting this one.
SRU President wants to havethe best club comp in world rugby.
Shute Shield is the only rugby comp on FTA in Australia.
Gee TV games even come with a big screen.
And that Rugby Business Network - Buildcorp was very pro rugby.
who knows what the future holds for Grass Roots - hop on the train it could make for a great ride.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The Waratah team "extending the club’s global footprint into the Asian market" and "develop(ing) strong new commercial relationships in Japan" seems to be short of half backs. I know they're only playing one game (why bother?) but who would play half if Lucas got injured I wonder?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting this one.
SRU President wants to havethe best club comp in world rugby.
Shute Shield is the only rugby comp on FTA in Australia.
Gee TV games even come with a big screen.
And that Rugby Business Network - Buildcorp was very pro rugby.
who knows what the future holds for Grass Roots - hop on the train it could make for a great ride.

I'd support a club based alternative in so far as it's all inclusive. That being has representation from Sydney, Brisbane, ACT, Vic and WA.

Say the Top 4 from Sydney, Top 3 from Brisbane, the Vikings from ACT and a rep squad or such from both Vic and WA. Allow each of the clubs that qualify to bring in say 5 'loan' players from other clubs within the Syd and Bris comps.

Play it either as a straight round robin for 9 weeks with a 4 team final series for a total of 11 weeks all up or play it as two pools of 5 playing home and away for 8 games with the top two progressing to finals for a total of 10 weeks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd support a club based alternative in so far as it's all inclusive. That being has representation from Sydney, Brisbane, ACT, Vic and WA.

Say the Top 4 from Sydney, Top 3 from Brisbane, the Vikings from ACT and a rep squad or such from both Vic and WA. Allow each of the clubs that qualify to bring in say 5 'loan' players from other clubs within the Syd and Bris comps.

Play it either as a straight round robin for 9 weeks with a 4 team final series for a total of 11 weeks all up or play it as two pools of 5 playing home and away for 8 games with the top two progressing to finals for a total of 10 weeks.

I like.
Very easy to type.
Very hard to deliver.
How does it fit in to the NRC / Soup structure when SS was overlapping round one of NCR this year (think that has changed now).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^ It's not a dig at you coach, but who fucking cares?
Ive gone from attending pre season trials, to maybe watching highlights this year.
If they stayed up there, it wouldn't affect me in the slightest.

I think the point is, that the game in NSW is on its knees, so maybe, just maybe the Waratahs and the NSWRU could be doing something in Sydney and regional NSW this weekend.

They seem to have learnt nothing, the top down approach continues and the grass roots left to fend for themselves.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem with a national club comp is the cost of flying players all over the country. (With Buildcorp withdrawing its sponsorship this may be a problem for the NRC also.) I certainly doubt the clubs could afford this cost and the ARU doesn't give money to clubs.

I note Lion Nathan and BMW have also cancelled their sponsorship of the Wallabies. But the "ARU spokesman"said they are not concerned and this is just companies reassessing their advertising programs. Glad they're not concerned about this :rolleyes:

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You have an equivalent there don't you?

Hospital Cup in Brisbane.
Dewar Shield in Melbourne.
John I Dent Cup in ACT
Pindan Premier Grade in Perth

All played over at least 2 rounds (home-and-away) with similar start and finish dates to SS. Pity we can't have 2 full rounds.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Glad they're not concerned about this :rolleyes:

1qg1ic.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like.
Very easy to type.
Very hard to deliver.
How does it fit in to the NRC / Soup structure when SS was overlapping round one of NCR this year (think that has changed now).

The NRC has been moved back in order not to overlap.

I think it depends on whether the NRC remains viable. If not, then this should be seriously looked at. It could be enough to draw BuildCorp back to the table (didn't they sponsor the Aust. Club Champs?) to sponsor it to mitigate the cost.

From there perhaps the relationship with 7 could be leveraged for coverage. But probably the most important aspect would be the development of a well conceived business plan in order to grow it as a structure.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I think that was the original intent but after 22 years they're still struggling in spite of the best efforts of many people. Not sure their subbies record justified their promotion in 1995.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

I recollect they finished 4th or 5th in Kentwell the year preceding SS entry (happy to be corrected).
Part of the initial business plan envisaged ongoing sponsorship from Panthers, which dried up pretty well immediately (I think it it was worth $60-70k a year).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I recollect they finished 4th or 5th in Kentwell the year preceding SS entry (happy to be corrected).
Part of the initial business plan envisaged ongoing sponsorship from Panthers, which dried up pretty well immediately (I think it it was worth $60-70k a year).

Parramatta Leagues Club used to sponsor the Two Blues, back when Dennis Fitzgerald was King.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The NRC has been moved back in order not to overlap.

I think it depends on whether the NRC remains viable. If not, then this should be seriously looked at. It could be enough to draw BuildCorp back to the table (didn't they sponsor the Aust. Club Champs?) to sponsor it to mitigate the cost.

From there perhaps the relationship with 7 could be leveraged for coverage. But probably the most important aspect would be the development of a well conceived business plan in order to grow it as a structure.

Buildcorp wants women's rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Correct. Their female CEO (and co-founder) had asked the ARU for a women's NRC comp but got sick of waiting. She's also on the committee which decides who to invite to join the ARU board apparently.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Can she sack people from the ARU board?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.