• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Just a general question guys. Are there any rules around poaching players from other shute shield clubs? I have just got wind of Parramatta having a dedicated recruitment manager who i wont name. He has been active and especially ive been told trying to raid penrith already signing 3 players from the emus and he has been contacting wests players. Surely there should be some regulations around this or it just becomes a free for all.
I think you'll find putting up any rules that block doing that in a semi-pro/pro competition would be restraint of trade for the players.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Randy_Parra2Blues

Frank Row (1)
Just a general question guys. Are there any rules around poaching players from other shute shield clubs? I have just got wind of Parramatta having a dedicated recruitment manager who i wont name. He has been active and especially ive been told trying to raid penrith already signing 3 players from the emus and he has been contacting wests players. Surely there should be some regulations around this or it just becomes a free for all.

Hi Greg

I do the recruitment for Parra

You havent 'just got wind of it'.... you sent me a facebook message a few weeks ago and we talked about the fact that im recruiting myself for Parra and your services in helping us find players were not required at this stage.

Have I been actively approaching players who I feel will 1) be able to contribute to us being a dominant force again and 2) players who I feel we can take to the next level at Parra... then the answer is yes.

Another thing were trying to do is bring home all ex Parra junior players, (as we did last year with 5 players).

Am I speaking to lots of players, yes. Are lots of players approaching me to discuss options, yes.

When the offseason comes, I just have always expected players to be talked to from other clubs. Its happens every year at Parra with our players also. I expect our best players to get a tap on the shoulder every now and again. Whether those player will show interest or not will depend on whether they believe in the system they are in right now at Parra and also believe in what we are trying to achieve and what their part in it will be.

Thankfully, we have retained 90% of our squad from last season.

Any questions anyone has, im happy to chat... either on here or randy.basra@twobluesrugby.com.au

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just a general question guys. Are there any rules around poaching players from other shute shield clubs?

There have previously been attempts to restrict player movement - I don't think that any were particularly successful. There's a points system in place at the moment, not sure how and if it even impacts on player transfers.

HJ is our resident expert on the rules for player qualfications and matters associated with SRU rules and regulations. He probably knows more about it than the SRU do.

NB - SRU and SJRU seem to have the ability to bend, break or ignore their own rules at their convenience.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is a Player Points loading for players who played more than 50% of the previous years First Grade games at another club. This is about as good as the anti poaching clauses get in SRU. Something is better than nothing.

In terms of the "discussion" above about allegations of M2B poaching players I will offer these observations:
1. This is an anonymous forum and many hide behind that (myself included) for a variety of reasons.
2. Like the schoolboy threads, most (not all) low post count anonymous poster posts on the forums have a very heavy element of self interest or self promotion in them. The more that the poster claims to be independent, the less independent that actually are. Generally these posts should be ignored until the poster establishes their credibility.

Good on you @randy 2blues for having the fortitude to "out" yourself and call others bluff. Should be more of that on here.

While the true identity of plenty on GAGR remain obfuscated behind their avatars, it is very obvious those who are on here solely for self promotion, or promotion of a friend, relative or associate, or those who are here to carry out a crusade against a club or individual.

It is best to ignore the posts from those quasi-trolls and avoid responding to their posts, or do as @randy 2 blues has done and call their bluff even though they may not have broken the forum rules.

If @randy is mainly getting former M2B players back to Merrylands RSL Park, then good on him.

I am a little tired of seeing the usual suspects at the top of the tables year in, year out, with most of their ongoing success based around players who were not part of their colts program.

That being said, I am not a great advocate of the argument that a player who played a couple of years of junior footy for an independent junior village club associated with a Shute Shield club is somehow duty bound to play for that club as a colt and grade player for ever. From my observations most Shute shield clubs pay little more than lip service to their junior (u10-u18) players. Some are better than others but even the "best" could do a better job if they really set their minds to it. For most it is my favourite radio station - WII FM*.

*What's In It For Me.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Parramatta Two Blues announce new General Manager

The Parramatta Two Blues Rugby Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Craig Morgan as General Manager of the club. Craig is a management professional with a business and sports administration background and is highly regarded and respected for his initiative, drive and delivery of quality management.

Craig is the Founder and Tournament Director of the UON Central Coast Sevens, which is widely regarded as the benchmark sevens tournament in Australia and regarded as one of the world’s most prestigious International Sevens events, winning multiple awards and accolades from some of the biggest names in the sevens arena and attracting some of the world’s best teams and players annually.

Craig is a strong supporter and advocate for Rugby across all platforms, possessing positive leadership skills and strong relationships within the Rugby community with a key focus on club culture and community engagement.

Craig will commence his role officially on November 1st but has already begun planning to realise the Two Blues aim to become a powerhouse of Australian Rugby.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)

It's an open market isn't it? I'm sure plenty of Parra players are being approached (atleast their forwards should be). So what's the problem.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi Greg

I do the recruitment for Parra

You havent 'just got wind of it'.. you sent me a facebook message a few weeks ago and we talked about the fact that im recruiting myself for Parra and your services in helping us find players were not required at this stage.

Have I been actively approaching players who I feel will 1) be able to contribute to us being a dominant force again and 2) players who I feel we can take to the next level at Parra. then the answer is yes.

Another thing were trying to do is bring home all ex Parra junior players, (as we did last year with 5 players).

Am I speaking to lots of players, yes. Are lots of players approaching me to discuss options, yes.

When the offseason comes, I just have always expected players to be talked to from other clubs. Its happens every year at Parra with our players also. I expect our best players to get a tap on the shoulder every now and again. Whether those player will show interest or not will depend on whether they believe in the system they are in right now at Parra and also believe in what we are trying to achieve and what their part in it will be.

Thankfully, we have retained 90% of our squad from last season.

Any questions anyone has, im happy to chat. either on here or randy.basra@twobluesrugby.com.au

Randy
Its not a personal attack against you but i have a problem when other clubs like penrith are being raided. Your welcome to do what you want i just think if you are too approach players you should let the club know.

Also might want to check the history mate Parra have never been a dominant force as you say. But having said that i am a parra tragic and wish them and you very well for the future.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Randy
Its not a personal attack against you but i have a problem when other clubs like penrith are being raided. Your welcome to do what you want i just think if you are too approach players you should let the club know.

Also might want to check the history mate Parra have never been a dominant force as you say. But having said that i am a parra tragic and wish them and you very well for the future.
Mate, for starters with the amount of clubs you've been at, or tried to be at, you can hardly be going around calling yourself a parra tragic, maybe a rugby tragic at best...

Why should any club ring another and say, "just so you know, were going after player x", how is that the clubs responsibility??? If you want clubs like penrith from being raided, thats not up to the other clubs, its up to sru/nswru/aru, regardless of how well they are doing it at present.

And as for parra never being a powerhouse in shute shield, short memories...
Randy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Parramatta was admitted to the Shute Shield in 1934. They won their first First Grade Premiership in 1979, then won again in both 1985 and 1986.

They have had their rough spots, but they also have a good history - when I was a kid they used to beat us much more often than we beat them.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Shute Shield Expansion? I created this heat map using population data from Sydney region and plotted the existing Shute Shield team locations (black dots).
y3m2a7M8pcXJlrV-L13cRDaHMpuU4_X0E3amaBFr01I9WyvDb6Tlbsm6cfqPUw_GobF_ZGvn9yQ9iEkoixqqfeoS8uJBj3FuMjZzKdqKv0d2efkV9i1Ec_ddRBjzT6A0RdpX129M5_d6wnm7LQjZAUu6AL2thodALrY3i0cGFXisTQ

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Shute Shield Expansion? I created this heat map using population data from Sydney region and plotted the existing Shute Shield team locations (black dots).

If you were going off pure population, you would merge Manly and Warringah, as well as Norths and Gordon. Then put a team in each of Blacktown, the Hills, and the Liverpool-Canterbury corridor.

It would be interesting to see an overlapping population vs junior base on a map or chart though. You could then figure out which areas to push juniors and subbies to build to a future district club, and which districts are unsustainable in their current form.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
If you were going off pure population, you would merge Manly and Warringah, as well as Norths and Gordon. Then put a team in each of Blacktown, the Hills, and the Liverpool-Canterbury corridor.

It would be interesting to see an overlapping population vs junior base on a map or chart though. You could then figure out which areas to push juniors and subbies to build to a future district club, and which districts are unsustainable in their current form.

Agree. My approach would be taking the hard decision and relocate some of the existing teams.
I don't have a list of Junior teams. Do you know where I could get one?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
For 2015, nothing would have changed too much this year. Section 2.3, includes their affiliated district club as well.

Attachments

• SJRU+Competition+Playing+Rules+2015+Vn12+09MAR15.pdf
    944.6 KB · Views: 424

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
Confirmed today Sam Needs young prop from Eastwood has signed with Warringah Rats for 2017. Big loss for the woods but will be massive for the rats too improve there scrum and general toughness

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
y3m2a7M8pcXJlrV-L13cRDaHMpuU4_X0E3amaBFr01I9WyvDb6Tlbsm6cfqPUw_GobF_ZGvn9yQ9iEkoixqqfeoS8uJBj3FuMjZzKdqKv0d2efkV9i1Ec_ddRBjzT6A0RdpX129M5_d6wnm7LQjZAUu6AL2thodALrY3i0cGFXisTQ

There are currently 240,000 people living in the Macathur area. The figure is set to double in the next 10-15 years. Your heat map doesn't take that into account.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The obvious way to advance rugby in Sydney is to shoehorn another club in between Randwick and Easts. A gimme, plenty of players in that part of the world. :rolleyes:

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I think Penrith proves blokes will drive to play for a successful club (a.k.a. sadly not Penrith).

Ripping clubs out of their spiritual homes is not something I can see being successful, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.