• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Uni did look well conditioned, but it should be remembered that both
Penrith (?) & Wests were having their first hit out for the year, unlike Uni
who have already had previous games .

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Parra Two Blues Full trial results from Saturday:
1st grade 34-5 Newcastle Wanderers
2nd/3rd grade 66-0 Newcastle Wanderers
3rd/4th grade 72-5 Dundas Valley Vikings...
1st Colts 30-5 Sunnybank Dragons
2nd Colts 20-30 Sunnybank Dragons

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Uni did look well conditioned, but it should be remembered that both
Penrith (?) & Wests were having their first hit out for the year, unlike Uni
who have already had previous games .

Uni are extremely fit , thanks to Tom Carter and co.

DT , how did the Uni backline go? While Uni have played some preseason matches, it was the first outing for this combination .
9 Tom Koerstz, 10 Ben Hughes, 11 Christian Kagiassis, 12 Connor OShea, 13 Greg Jeloudev, 14 Josh King , 15 James Kane.

If the Waratahs need Jake Gordon then Uni could be looking at 4 new faces in this year's back line replacing Tom Carter at 12, Jim Stewart 13, Angus Roberts at 15 and Gordon at halfback.
Kagiassis has been doing well at 10 but Ben Hughes, starting flyhalf for most of 2016, returns after long term injury along with Connor O'Shea .
Greg Jeloudev who "owned " the left wing in past seasons returns after Aussie 7's stint to trial at 13 - big shoes to fill in replacing Jim Stewart .

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
One by product of the farcical Super comp and the mooted team reduction, there will be more focus on Club Rugby and a lot of fringe Super rugby players re evaluating their futures in Rugby. Should be more players available for the Shute Shield. On the other hand, wont surprise me to see a lot of these fringe players give Rugby away.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
One by product of the farcical Super comp and the mooted team reduction, there will be more focus on Club Rugby and a lot of fringe Super rugby players re evaluating their futures in Rugby. Should be more players available for the Shute Shield. On the other hand, wont surprise me to see a lot of these fringe players give Rugby away.

Perhaps they will look for paid positions offshore.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
L.O..... Uni looked sharper than Penrith & Wests when in possession. In saying that, Penrith put in a good first half,& were able to make inroads early ,but gave the impression that they tired as the afternoon wore on, probably due to lack of fitness, & also because they appeared intrinsically less athletic than the other 2 sides. Wests on the other hand did appear fit, but probably not as quick as Uni, but finished strongly in the second half when their combinations started to come together & they began to get more possession. I believe that the main trial between Uni & Wests finished at 14 all. Both sides had a number of players missing , but the standard of the game & intensity , was surprisingly good for a trial. Penrith did better than I might have expected , but their lower grade teams had more difficulty competing , & they appeared to be lacking numbers. This has obvious implications for the upcoming season if not rectified.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
What's Angus Roberts doing? Not playing anymore?

Concentrating on his career but loves his footy so you'll see him in the lower grades. Will he be back in 1st grade by Rd 4 against Northern Suburbs ?- I hope so!

His strategic kicking from FB was a feature for Uni last year.
Who will wear 15 this year? Either James Kane , up from Colts , Christian Kagiassis , had a wonderful rookie year on the left wing or Jack Redden , very versatile player with a good left boot.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's a bit easier in Vic because there's minimal attachment to clubs and no money changing hands.

Maybe I was dreaming that something like this would happen in NSW to focus on growing the game.
The program will see every Melbourne Rebels contracted players assigned as an ambassador to a local rugby club, where their role will vary from playing for their club, attending functions, junior registration days and engaging with all stakeholders.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe I was dreaming that something like this would happen in NSW to focus on growing the game.
The program will see every Melbourne Rebels contracted players assigned as an ambassador to a local rugby club, where their role will vary from playing for their club, attending functions, junior registration days and engaging with all stakeholders.

Yeah, most of them are probably at the club 3 times a year.

The only guys that play a lot of club football are the ones in that sweet spot between spending all their time in the U20s program and getting Super Rugby minutes.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pat and Sefa were reasonably regularly down at the Club last year.

Albeit, Sefa did start with us and all his mates were/are here, and Pat played a full season with us when he was behind Robinson and Horie.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
L.O... Uni looked sharper than Penrith & Wests when in possession. In saying that, Penrith put in a good first half,& were able to make inroads early ,but gave the impression that they tired as the afternoon wore on, probably due to lack of fitness, & also because they appeared intrinsically less athletic than the other 2 sides. Wests on the other hand did appear fit, but probably not as quick as Uni, but finished strongly in the second half when their combinations started to come together & they began to get more possession. I believe that the main trial between Uni & Wests finished at 14 all. Both sides had a number of players missing , but the standard of the game & intensity , was surprisingly good for a trial. Penrith did better than I might have expected , but their lower grade teams had more difficulty competing , & they appeared to be lacking numbers. This has obvious implications for the upcoming season if not rectified.

Did i hear right that Penrith will only have 1st and 2nd grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.