• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
would love to see the area try and extend themselves. 5 junior clubs for only one subbies club isnt a good strike rate, especially in an area where non of league, afl or soccer are overly dominant

That's a little unfair - the question was how many of those sides play in subbies and the answer is 1.
There are a number of subbies sides within the Northern Beaches Council - going to guess at over 7 so we are batting pretty well.

League overly dominant - really????

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
That's a little unfair - the question was how many of those sides play in subbies and the answer is 1.
There are a number of subbies sides within the Northern Beaches Council - going to guess at over 7 so we are batting pretty well.

League overly dominant - really????

What’s unfair? My answer was only one from five junior teams has an attached subbies club in the manly region, that’s not very good.

I said league wasn’t overly dominant? Did you read my comment or just get in a fluster when you saw a bit of critiscm aimed at manly. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that my spelling mistake of non “none” just threw you a bit.......

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What’s unfair? My answer was only one from five junior teams has an attached subbies club in the manly region, that’s not very good.

I said league wasn’t overly dominant? Did you read my comment or just get in a fluster when you saw a bit of critiscm aimed at manly. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that my spelling mistake of non “none” just threw you a bit...

Really??

Please, you and I are both pro rugby and good supporters of growth the right way, we don't need to draw bow at each other and question what is acceptable and what is not.

This link http://www.rugby.net.au/ will show that there are a number of Subbies clubs playing in the Northern Beaches catchment.
Forest have their own through to grade.
And the Marlins support the development pathway to the Marlins of the other 4 clubs that are referenced - #OurteamOurtown.
The subbies side directly in Manly catchment is the Manly Savers

And League is very competitive code for us in our area.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Really??

Please, you and I are both pro rugby and good supporters of growth the right way, we don't need to draw bow at each other and question what is acceptable and what is not.

This link http://www.rugby.net.au/ will show that there are a number of Subbies clubs playing in the Northern Beaches catchment.
Forest have the own through to grade.
And the Marlins support the development pathway to the Marlins of the other 4 clubs that are referenced - #OurteamOurtown.
The subbies side directly in Manly catchment is the Manly Savers

And League is very competitive code for us in our area.

That’s all well and good but back to my point only one of 5 junior teams continues through to senior level THAT IS NOT GOOD, that is shit. Nearly every single Shute shield region has a better strike rate than that

And league may very well be competitive but compared to literally everywhere else in Sydney, south, east and west it’s not even comparable. You’re in a rugby heartland with only one nrl team in the region.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Dave beat. Do you want to explain the concept of the vikings club to Southsider or do i need to?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There are a couple of Subbies clubs who have fallen over in that area, isn't there? Seaforth was one of them I'm pretty sure...

I've got two junior clubs near me who don't have Seniors at all.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I understand the Vikings concept I'll come to that in a moment;

These are the under 17 & 18 teams in the SJRU this year. I'm not going to be critical but are any from South's?

Gordon Barbarians & Newport Pirates
Newport Breakers & Forest JRUFC
Manly Vikings & Northern Beaches Rats

is it better to at least work together and create opportunity so our kids can play the game - the Vikings did that.

Reference was made to Manly Junior clubs not having a subbies team. One of the 4 is Allambie Jets and they are 5 years old is it fair to include them. So that leaves three junior clubs feeding a Shute Shield club, and the subbies club Manly Savers.

I'm not going to ask if there are many u17 and u18 in the Shire that would love to play the great game.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Dave beat. Do you want to explain the concept of the vikings club to Southsider or do i need to?

Manly aren’t the first area to come up with the concept of a Vikings/barbarians team I fail to see how that’s relevant though

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I understand the Vikings concept I'll come to that in a moment;

These are the under 17 & 18 teams in the SJRU this year. I'm not going to be critical but are any from South's?

Gordon Barbarians & Newport Pirates
Newport Breakers & Forest JRUFC
Manly Vikings & Northern Beaches Rats

is it better to at least work together and create opportunity so our kids can play the game - the Vikings did that.

Reference was made to Manly Junior clubs not having a subbies team. One of the 4 is Allambie Jets and they are 5 years old is it fair to include them. So that leaves three junior clubs feeding a Shute Shield club, and the subbies club Manly Savers.

I'm not going to ask if there are many u17 and u18 in the Shire that would love to play the great game.

Dave your problem is you’re biased as shit, I’m more than capabale of aiming and taking criticism of the team I support, there are many things that Souths do poorly, but I can acknowledge them you seem incapable of doing so. What have I said that’s incorrect?

Facts

Only 1 in 5 junior teams has a direct pathway to seniors footy plus marlins out of every region I think only easts and Randwick are comparable to you, every other region, even penrith have more junior clubs with seniors attached.

The northern beaches is a fairly decent sized area with good demographics for union and minimal competition from league compared to other regions yet the amount of subbies clubs and even junior clubs don’t particularly reflect that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly aren’t the first area to come up with the concept of a Vikings/barbarians team I fail to see how that’s relevant though
Did I bring up the Vikings, I was referencing what Crashy said.
I said at the start let's not draw bows at each other but you keep coming back at me.

You referenced junior clubs not converting into sunnies and us not putting in the effort. 3 of our 5 clubs have been around long enough to do it, that leaves 3 junior clubs to feed 1 Shute Sheild club and a couple of local subbies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave your problem is you’re biased as shit, I’m more than capabale of aiming and taking criticism of the team I support, there are many things that Souths do poorly, but I can acknowledge them you seem incapable of doing so. What have I said that’s incorrect?

Facts

Only 1 in 5 junior teams has a direct pathway to seniors footy plus marlins out of every region I think only easts and Randwick are comparable to you, every other region, even penrith have more junior clubs with seniors attached.

The northern beaches is a fairly decent sized area with good demographics for union and minimal competition from league compared to other regions yet the amount of subbies clubs and even junior clubs don’t particularly reflect that.
Really I travel to every home and away game and spend money supporting every club because rugby comes first.

I even liked the South's V Marlins facebook give away to give a club rugby sponsor more exposure.

I want all Sydney junior clubs to go through to u18 but I can't do that being critical of others.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
If you are going to talk northern beaches then you need to include the rats,l and their junios and subbies clubs...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If you are going to talk northern beaches then you need to include the rats,l and their junios and subbies clubs.
I checked the NSW subbies site whilst working today and I think there was over 7 subbies clubs providing opportunities to players.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Did I bring up the Vikings, I was referencing what Crashy said.
I said at the start let's not draw bows at each other but you keep coming back at me.

You referenced junior clubs not converting into sunnies and us not putting in the effort. 3 of our 5 clubs have been around long enough to do it, that leaves 3 junior clubs to feed 1 Shute Sheild club and a couple of local subbies.

And I was replying to him not you???

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Really I travel to every home and away game and spend money supporting every club because rugby comes first.

I even liked the South's V Marlins facebook give away to give a club rugby sponsor more exposure.

I want all Sydney junior clubs to go through to u18 but I can't do that being critical of others.

But what’s that got to do with what we are talking about? You have the most random replies to things

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
If you are going to talk northern beaches then you need to include the rats,l and their junios and subbies clubs.

Apologies, getting my northern beaches and manly confused. I’m referring specifically to manly, rats area seem to be better

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I checked the NSW subbies site whilst working today and I think there was over 7 subbies clubs providing opportunities to players.

My point is if you don’t have a continuity between juniors and seniors club you are going to lose players. The manly Region Should be doing way more in this area to ensure that continuity

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My point is if you don’t have a continuity between juniors and seniors club you are going to lose players. The manly Region Should be doing way more in this area to ensure that continuity
I said above I want all junior clubs to have teams through to u18.

I think we should all do things better than last time.

I was involved in the u17 state champs, and under 17s 7s state champ in giving boys opportunity and trying to do things better.

Involved doing.

But given Allambie Jets only started back up in the minis 5 years ago, last year was our first year back in the juniors (10s). Manly have 3 junior clubs feeding Shute.

Given Manly Savers are a subbies team, what role could another seniors subbies team play.

From u18 they generally go to colts

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Here's a different angle.

Uni, they make best use of the tools they have access to, they play to their strengths.

What are your thoughts on how they look after their juniors and subbies?

I think uni have helped lift the standard of the Shute which is a good think. Yes hard on clubs out west and others and yes I think that is unfair. But that is the lay of the land.

So your thoughts on their subbies and juniors.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lastly I reckon most of the juniors at te 4 village clubs aspire to play for the Marlins.
I'm sure there is a subbies forum on this site, if you want to grow the number of subbies clubs maybe share some ideas and planning there.

Status
Not open for further replies.