• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Early days, but Penrith, Gordon and Parramatta look set in the bottom 3.

Eastwood, Souths and Wests slow out of the barriers - probably the slowest start by an Eastwood side that I can remember.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On another note, some nice things said about and between gordon & Penrith in Colts on Facebook but I gather grade at Chatswood was a different kettle of fish.
Two reds in 1st grade which was called early, uncontested scrums in 2s for the duration.

I see that Penrith won the 4th grade 5-0.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Granville Park UPGRADE UPDATE:
On Wednesday lastweek, Cumberland Council voted to approve $8m in funding for the redevelopment of Granville Park. This enables work on the project to move from concept to design, d.a. demolition, tendering then construction. Demolition will commence soon but as anyone who has built anything knows, the other phases take more time. At this stage it is estimated the new facility will be ready for the 2020 season.

A big thanks to Councillor Steve Christou who stared down an attempt to block the project by one negative Councillor. Steve showed Two Blues fight to get the job done.
More updates as they come to hand.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On Wednesday lastweek, Cumberland Council voted to approve $8m in funding for the redevelopment of Granville Park. This enables work on the project to move from concept to design, d.a. demolition, tendering then construction. Demolition will commence soon but as anyone who has built anything knows, the other phases take more time. At this stage it is estimated the new facility will be ready for the 2020 season.
A big thanks to Councillor Steve Christou who stared down an attempt to block the project by one negative Councillor. Steve showed Two Blues fight to get the job done.

I noticed that they played a home game at Lidcombe Oval and I was wondering if it was a permanent move or work was being done at Granville.
Hope you guys end up with a great facility out there, you deserve it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Early days, but Penrith, Gordon and Parramatta look set in the bottom 3.

Eastwood, Souths and Wests slow out of the barriers - probably the slowest start by an Eastwood side that I can remember.

Geez, I wish I could forget some of our dire seasons. When I first starting watching them, they were struggling to win a game or two every season.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

great news!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Warringah taking it easy on the Emus?

Easts look strong with a few Tahs returning in the bye week.

Uni front row has a look of a future Tahs' front row. Maybe next year?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I think since the ARU passed those famous comments about the SS the competition has gone from strength to strength, hope the trajectory continues. What is also surprising is Uni has come back to the pack / actually I think others have improved which is better for the code.

Apologies for the slow response, been away.DB: What SS has done is great. But SS is an outlier. It's also only a small (admittedly very important) part of the rugby landscape. And even some of those clubs are struggling.

Unfortunately your comment is indicative - not causative - of the problem. SS is fine so lets leave it alone.

As long as you want to see rugby continually shrink then keep SS sheltered. Otherwise, we need to find a way to make SS more accessible, representative and more relevant to the whole rugby community. SS IS the best rugby competition in Australia but at the moment it is very exclusive of the rest of the rugby community.

All I'm advocating for is a way to put SS at the third tier where it belongs, and back as the heart of rugby in Australia....back when we knew how to beat NZ teams. Just in a way more relevant to the times.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Watch out for some angry responses.

Totally agree with your point. The SS is a great and authentic competition, with a lot of history, and a lot of colour.

If the game as a whole cannot work out how to leverage off its standing and success, it will be a great pity.

Can I suggest that you make some inroads in the "Where to for Super Rugby" thread. It is very lonely there for anybody who thinks like this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Watch out for some angry responses.

Totally agree with your point. The SS is a great and authentic competition, with a lot of history, and a lot of colour.

If the game as a whole cannot work out how to leverage off its standing and success, it will be a great pity.

Can I suggest that you make some inroads in the "Where to for Super Rugby" thread. It is very lonely there for anybody who thinks like this.

But people don't want to leverage off its success. People want to change it into something else - without any evidence that the change will bring improvement.

The strength of the SS is its format - you get the whole community to the same place on the same day to watch graded games. Colts play at the away venue in a similar format. To change the fundamental nature of the competition, would IMO change the very thing which brings its success.

The NRC had the chance to leverage off the success of the SS, by linking SS clubs to NRC franchises but has chosen to follow a different path. Having players from one SS club playing for 3 different NRC franchises isn't "leveraging off the success of the SS", in fact it's exactly the opposite.

One could argue for example that saying that only Penrith, Wests, Parramatta and Eastwood players could play for the Rams might lead to players moving to Parramatta and Wests (Penrith as well perhaps but there are greater issues at play there). But as always with rugby, short term thinking (even out the NRC talent straight away) came before long term thinking (tie NRC ventures to specific SS clubs to stop all the talent parking itself at the same few SS clubs)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One could argue for example that saying that only Penrith, Wests, Parramatta and Eastwood players could play for the Rams might lead to players moving to Parramatta and Wests (Penrith as well perhaps but there are greater issues at play there). But as always with rugby, short term thinking (even out the NRC talent straight away) came before long term thinking (tie NRC ventures to specific SS clubs to stop all the talent parking itself at the same few SS clubs)

This is a very important point.
RA wants to create fake comps as higher honours selection trials rather than proper clubs with passion and support.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is a very important point.
RA wants to create fake comps as higher honours selection trials rather than proper clubs with passion and support.

Proper clubs cannot be created, I believe, at least not instantly. Which is the nub of the problem. Both the NRL and AFL had at their hearts a majority of traditional clubs, albeit some were the result of mergers.

Plus, of course, there were some new clubs needed in both comps. But, at heart, the strongest traditional markets (Sydney for the NRL, Melbourne for the AFL) provided the bulk of the new competitions, and that bulk was to a large extent, traditional clubs.

I was living in Melbourne in the early 80s, worked across the road from the old South Melbourne Footy ground, and remember the huge fuss when South Melbourne was shifted to Sydney. Took some balls to do what they did, a fair few traditional supporters were really pissed off, but as time went by, people got used to it.

And of course, clubs like Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, Carlton, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Geelong, and Essendon, all survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.