• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, I am a dill, and you know everything.

Once upon a time I used to think that the great thing about rugby was the people who played it and supported it. A brief look around some of the opinions on display and personal insults sprayed around on this forum makes me think that those days have gone. No wonder the game is struggling.

No.
I’ve read fenton’s Book on the 27/28 Waratahs.

God, you guys are old!! ;)

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
I've just watched the game, I thought their 8 played well as well as I think his surname was Luff? maybe got 5 turnovers? Gordon scored a few tries which were good. West Harbour was dominant though.

I think apart from the 7 and Luff that Gordon were terrible. Embarrassing quite often.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
He and Wally Meagher implemented the theory. That counts.

From the ARU Wallabies archives:

"During his coaching tenure Meagher employed a similar ‘running-Rugby’ style of play to that implemented by his former Wallaby captain A.C. Johnny Wallace during their tour to Great Britain in 1927-28.

It was this style of Rugby that saw Randwick virtually eliminate kicking with a strong emphasis on continuous running, passing and backing up earning them the nickname of the ‘Flying Greens’ in the 1930s and 1940s.

This nickname soon changes during the 1960s to the ‘Galloping Greens’ and has stuck with the club ever since."

The old timers at Randwick credit Meagher with implementing running rugby more than Cyril Towers, or so I've been told over a few red wines.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^its frustrating,but that's not how it works.
Gordon didn't make it on the telly last week because they are in great form.
Everyone gets a shot

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From the ARU Wallabies archives:

"During his coaching tenure Meagher employed a similar ‘running-Rugby’ style of play to that implemented by his former Wallaby captain A.C. Johnny Wallace during their tour to Great Britain in 1927-28.

It was this style of Rugby that saw Randwick virtually eliminate kicking with a strong emphasis on continuous running, passing and backing up earning them the nickname of the ‘Flying Greens’ in the 1930s and 1940s.

This nickname soon changes during the 1960s to the ‘Galloping Greens’ and has stuck with the club ever since."

The old timers at Randwick credit Meagher with implementing running rugby more than Cyril Towers, or so I've been told over a few red wines.
As long as it’s traced back to Wallace I’m happy.
“His interest in Rugby remained active and he coached the State and Australian sides against the 1937 Springboks en route for New Zealand and glory. In spite of the rain, on a very damp Sydney Cricket Ground the New South Wales team played a magnificent running and passing game, thrashing South Africa 17-6, with four tries to one.”

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Games this week - starting with the big one - a crowd of 7-8 thousand expected.

rsz_manly_oval_by_adam_macdonald1.jpg

Manly to beat Warringah by less than 10
Uni to beat Easts by 2 tries or more
Wests in a nailbiter to beat Eastwood
Norths to beat a brave Parra by 20
Souths to beat Gordon by 20 or more

Results

Manly 34 def Warringah 24 - great game and great result :)
Uni 27 def Easts 19
Wests 27 def Eastwood 24
Norths 44 def Parra 18
Souths 61 def Gordon 17

Pity I don't bet.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Results

Manly 34 def Warringah 24 - great game and great result :)
Uni 27 def Easts 19
Wests 27 def Eastwood 24
Norths 44 def Parra 18
Souths 61 def Gordon 17

Pity I don't bet.
It's not betting when everything is stacked in your favour.....

This week they had Wests,Easts & Marlins 2.50 when they all should have been 1.90 IMO.

It's like taking candy from a baby:)

I intended backing all 3 today until I saw team sheets for the TV game .
Go manly!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Give us your tips Wamberal. What do you think are the Woodies chances this week?

We will lose. Honestly.

We lost twice to them last season. I saw one of those games on the box, they looked very impressive to me.

Thinking about it, not sure how much this might count, but they do have some pretty good motivation, if they need it.

I know it is a long time ago, but Western Suburbs was dropped from the SS, and Eastwood was then admitted.

My mother was a Wests fan, and she never really liked the Woodies, even though they were my team!

And of course our Head Coach, John Manenti, used to coach West Harbour.

pilfer80

Frank Nicholson (4)
At the North’s game on the weekend I noticed Bill Freeman running around in the red and black - I thought he was playing 15 for the Stags earlier on in the season?

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
At the North’s game on the weekend I noticed Bill Freeman running around in the red and black - I thought he was playing 15 for the Stags earlier on in the season?

Interesting...perhaps a contributing factor to the club heading in another direction with the head coach.
When players of the quality of Rorke and Freeman leave (Plus a few others) something mustn't have been quite right.

Hope he does well at his new club!

Status
Not open for further replies.