• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sounds a little bit better for the Highlanders. What about Souths?

Woodies beat Uni seconds, I guess.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Having Roach back is a big bonus for Eastwood. He's an excellent player at Club level and did a pretty damn good job at Super level when he came on against the Crusaders a few weeks back.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Ever get sick of updates? Everything has to be updated constantly. I love how websites have updates for no apparent reason and then become worse than before.

I see updates are big at Eastwood. Some clown over there has been updating their jersey over the years. They've taken it from one of the best looking jerseys in the comp to something unrecognisable and I think the worst looking jersey in the comp. I don't think updates are helping Wests' jersey much either!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ever get sick of updates? Everything has to be updated constantly. I love how websites have updates for no apparent reason and then become worse than before.

I see updates are big at Eastwood. Some clown over there has been updating their jersey over the years. They've taken it from one of the best looking jerseys in the comp to something unrecognisable and I think the worst looking jersey in the comp. I don't think updates are helping Wests' jersey much either!!

Indeed.

You can't go past this classic Manly jersey. Hate the constant updates and have always hated the red shorts.

images

And I very much preferred Wests when they were called Western Suburbs - I've never been a fan of the West Harbour name and I wouldn't think that the name would mean anything to anyone outside the narrow world of Sydney rugby.

Much preferred when they played in a jersey like this.
1936team1.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree that the old Manly strip was better. As for West Harbour, the name was chosen because the new entity encompassed Drummoyne as well as Western Suburbs.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

No.
The name was changed in the hope of being more attractive
to hoped for corporate organisations.
It was also named thus as the view from certain parts of Concord Oval
incorporates that of Canada Bay.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
West Harbour is not nor has ever been part of the western suburbs.

Mate, Western Suburbs rugby league team played at Pratten Park in Ashfield. Western Suburbs rugby union club was founded in 1900, and played out of Concord Oval. They were in and out of the Shute Shield for a number of years, and eventually rebadged as West Harbour in 1995.

Whether or not they are in the western suburbs, West Harbour is their name. Sue them!!!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Mate, Western Suburbs rugby league team played at Pratten Park in Ashfield. Western Suburbs rugby union club was founded in 1900, and played out of Concord Oval. They were in and out of the Shute Shield for a number of years, and eventually rebadged as West Harbour in 1995.

Whether or not they are in the western suburbs, West Harbour is their name. Sue them!!!

Maybe when they were founded in the early 1900s Ashfield was the western suburbs but that hasn't been the case for a long while now. They also moved from Pratten Park outside the odd game here and there in the 60s. As the west grew outward they've moved with it.

West Harbour despite it's name hasn't done so and is inner west these days. Nothing wrong with that but they do not represent anything west of Strathfield.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
West Harbour is not nor has ever been part of the western suburbs.

Never been? Never is a long time and I think you'll find that you're wrong.

They were originally known as Burwood and had to change their name to Western Suburbs in order to get a lease on St Luke's Oval back in 1900. I think that you'll find that at that time Parramatta was a separate town and the area around Burwood, Concord, Ashfield etc was very much the western suburbs of Sydney. My father grew up in Auburn in the 20s and 30s and that was still part scrub in those days and it was very much the outskirts.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

They were originally known as Burwood and had to change their name to Western Suburbs in order to get a lease on St Luke's Oval back in 1900. I think that you'll find that at that time Parramatta was a separate town and the area around Burwood, Concord, Ashfield etc was very much the western suburbs of Sydney. My father grew up in Auburn in the 20s and 30s and that was still part scrub in those days and it was very much the outskirts.

Yeah I was wrong to say never.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

QH - can you explain why the Burwood name didn’t fit with St Lukes’?

Status
Not open for further replies.