• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it is a good idea, frankly. It is a great stadium, will look good on television, and has all the amenities that anybody would want.

And it is close to Sydney's demographic centre. All we have to do now is to fill it!!!

They won't fill it or get close. I'd reckon that 15,000 is the best they could hope for, but at least we have a rugby organisation in Australia trying to grow instead of trying to shrink.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Of course it will fill. All we hear about is how the Shute Shield is the best thing in Australian Rugby at the moment and that they are pulling crowds bigger than Super Rugby matches.

Why wouldn't they fill it?

I reckon the crowd will be down on a North Sydney crowd. Certainly if they open all the bars and loos the facilities will be better than NSO, but Northern Suburbs worked really hard to promote that GF fixture when they moved it there ('16) and NS featured. It maintained its momentum and became a "thing" in a short time. Much like Cheika's selections, giving things just a short time to prove themselves and then changing them doesn't work.
If there's less than 20,000 at Bankwest then the experiment failed. And we'll all know if they fudge the figures.
TV ratings should be good, though. Do they screen it up in Qld?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You can watch it outside NSW on Freeview, if you put a NSW postcode in when you are asked what your location is.

Fashions come and go. I remember the days when the GF drew big crowds at the SFS. There is absolutely no reason why the Parramatta venue cannot do okay. For me that means more than 12,000, to start with.

North Sydney Oval is a bit of a dump from some viewpoints. If the local team is in the GF, no doubt the place is jumping. But what about if the two teams are, say, Southern and Eastwood? Not this year, of course. Would a game like this get 20,000? I doubt it.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting, too, to see how Bankwest manage the traditional Shute Shield crowd.
Will seating be designated or GA? If they go all Gold, silver, bronze seating no-one will show.
Will supporters be able to be on-field to celebrate their team's success in each of the grades?
Will supporters be able to be on-field to form the tunnels?
Will the kiddies be able to have a kick in between matches and at half-time?
How does everyone get on and off? Or is there a $5,500 fine for entering the playing area?
Everyone has their favourite location at a Club Rugby match to watch and meet with mates. If that's removed then it's not really Club Rugby anymore, is it?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Good to see Angus Bell who was playing 1st XV for Newington last year handling 1st grade. 1st grade rugby is a difficult place for a 19 year old, but in the front row is almost impossible yet the kid is more than holding his own.
Pretty sure they’ve earmarked him as a future Wallaby Captain. Always been a class above.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good to see Angus Bell who was playing 1st XV for Newington last year handling 1st grade. 1st grade rugby is a difficult place for a 19 year old, but in the front row is almost impossible yet the kid is more than holding his own.

Have you seen him? . He is beast.

He's not long for a Wallaby Jersey.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
RESULTS ROUND 17

Eastwood 33. Souther Districts 21

Gordon 25. Eastern Suburbs. 29

Manly 42. West Harbour. 42

Sydney Uni. 66. Norths. 17

Waringah. 34. WSTB 17

Randwick. Bye

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Screenshot_20190727_171121_com.fuseapp.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sounds as though Southern gave us a bit of a scare. Came back from a big deficit. Another one of our bogey teams. That makes about 12 at last count.

Status
Not open for further replies.