• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I love Northern Suburbs rugby and applaud them for trying to play rugby on the weekend against Sydney Uni who came with the Northern Hemisphere/Springboks 2018 v All Blacks game plan of defence and not wanting possession. That's not a criticism of Sydney Uni, it was a winning game plan, but I just wanted to see Norths put more kicks in like Shep kept harping on in commentary. The major change in rugby since the last world cup seems to be the northern hemisphere rush, brick wall defence and the only way to beat it nowadays has to be kicking in behind. It's the only place for the ball to go, otherwise you just keep getting the brick wall like Norths did.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agreed TTF, you can only run into that brick wall so many times. The attacking team has to be changing the angle of attack, putting kicks in behind, running blindside wingers off the 10's hip and having the pigs pick drive rapidly around the corner for a few phases. All things that have the objective of turning the defence around. A couple of sides have had some success with cross field kicks too (most notably Easts, with one of the more masterful displays at 10 by Mack Mason that you'd want to see).

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed TTF, you can only run into that brick wall so many times. The attacking team has to be changing the angle of attack, putting kicks in behind, running blindside wingers off the 10's hip and having the pigs pick drive rapidly around the corner for a few phases. All things that have the objective of turning the defence around. A couple of sides have had some success with cross field kicks too (most notably Easts, with one of the more masterful displays at 10 by Mack Mason that you'd want to see).

I heard Stephen Hoiles describe the trend really well recently on Fox when he said that the rugby field is just getting smaller and smaller and smaller as the athletes get bigger, stronger and faster. The All Blacks can't rely on their world beating running rugby anymore because it is just so much harder for them and other southern hemisphere running rugby teams to try and go wide and around teams.

If you're not winning the physicality battle, like Norths v Sydney Uni on the weekend, kicking to space through or over the defensive wall has to be priority #1 for mine.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Fuck kicking it to space.
Kick it in the stand, or down the throat of the winger, with a couple of back rowers on the scene.
Make the bigger pack expend their energy getting back to support the ball carrier.
I don’t know why,but it’s much easier to chase a kick to put on the pressure, than it is to get back and protect the ball.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I heard Stephen Hoiles describe the trend really well recently on Fox when he said that the rugby field is just getting smaller and smaller and smaller as the athletes get bigger, stronger and faster. The All Blacks can't rely on their world beating running rugby anymore because it is just so much harder for them and other southern hemisphere running rugby teams to try and go wide and around teams.

If you're not winning the physicality battle, like Norths v Sydney Uni on the weekend, kicking to space through or over the defensive wall has to be priority #1 for mine.

Yep, you have to work harder now to create a mismatch in terms of numbers or a hole to put a runner through.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yea agreed. Great to see the stags back. They also have 5 grades, 4 colts team and a women’s team playing today. More depth than most other clubs.
Pity aboutbthe state of the pitch though.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not much of a game, to be honest. Gordon looked pretty good for most of the first 50 or so minutes, but their scrum let them down at a crucial stage, the lost one of their props for 10 and it was all over.

Pat Sio was immense.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
How the Marlins lost that one I do not know. Rats were junk in the first 40.
Crowd officially quoted as over 8000 - oval was the fullest that I've seen.
Gordon apparently calling a big crowd for their local derby vs Norths with kickoff at circa 6.30.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wouldn't over think it
If the Wallabies go relatively deep in the RWC we'll see a load of media coverage as per the last one.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If Shute Shield is comparatively the most popular rugby in the nation, what does that tell us?

I've watched every TV game this season and have enjoyed them but come on guys. Over on the ratings thread Wookie has been putting up the TV ratings and the highest so far this season has been 20k for Uni/Eastwood game in Mudgee. The rest have hovered around 12k. And outside of this game the average crowd would be 2k a game.

If all the Shute Shield games were drawing similar crowds. Over anything near 5k a game I'd agree but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've watched every TV game this season and have enjoyed them but come on guys. Over on the ratings thread Wookie has been putting up the TV ratings and the highest so far this season has been 20k for Uni/Eastwood game in Mudgee. The rest have hovered around 12k. And outside of this game the average crowd would be 2k a game.

If all the Shute Shield games were drawing similar crowds. Over anything near 5k a game I'd agree but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.
Crowd numbers and broadcast numbers are only part of the story. It’s not a national competition it’s a city based competition .

What it brings is tribalism, visibility and interest. These are what rugby in Australia lacks at the moment at the professional level .

Taking it a step further, what you notice about SS crowds is that they are comprised of a demographic from primary school age to retirement age spectators . Super rugby overwhelmingly middle aged and older crowd almost devoid of any noise or atmosphere.

With respect you’re not seeing the wood for the trees

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Did you notice the word "comparatively"? Let's see how many the Tahs draw tonight. 8000 might look pretty good. And which crowd will enjoy the experience more do you reckon?

It beats me why the SS does not rate better. Maybe good old parochialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.