• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I thought it was fairly obvious that all the posturing about West. Syd. was all bullshit. How many games did the Two Blues get on 7 this season?

At the end of the day it is up to those who support and play the game. And when it comes to TV, it all comes down to commercial reality. Which games rate, in other words.

We can thank Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey, two rugby people, for stripping huge money from the ABC in their first budget, which led to the ABC stopping the coverage that, up until then, had been fantastic for our game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought it was fairly obvious that all the posturing about West. Syd. was all bullshit. How many games did the Two Blues get on 7 this season?
By all means have a moan that not nearly enough resources are employed out there, but complaining that they’re not getting their fair share of television time ignores reality.

They won one game in first grade all year in a huge upset.
They couldn’t field 4 grades for most of the year.
Putting them on the telly, when they haven’t been competitive in many of their games helps no one.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
By all means have a moan that not nearly enough resources are employed out there, but complaining that they’re not getting their fair share of television time ignores reality.

They won one game in first grade all year in a huge upset.
They couldn’t field 4 grades for most of the year.
Putting them on the telly, when they haven’t been competitive in many of their games helps no one.

It shows the total lack of equity that exists in the competition. It's been sold in seasons prior (and this current one) that each club would get at least one TV game a season. Now perhaps I missed that week. But I cannot recall seeing a Two Blues game this season.

Now, I agree they've struggled on the pitch. But the lack of coverage be it a token as one game a season would be shows a complete disinterest and dare I say it disdain for anything resembling the game west of the Burwood. The whining about having the GF held at Western Sydney Stadium despite it being a vastly superior facility than North Sydney Oval across a number of metrics in terms of viewing experience really only reinforces that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Think the SRU will get bitten on the bum holding the game at Parra on Sat. Can't see the massive Rats crowd travelling and Uni don't have the biggest supporter base. Was going to attend with the junior crashies but won't get there in time wrt kids sport etc etc. a shame really.
North Syd oval looked pretty full for the bulk of the arvo - would be surprised if the crowd was less that 10k.

A quick look on Google Maps shows that it's only an extra 9 mins travel from Warringah to Bankwest (using the M2) than it is to North Sydney Oval. With Warringah to BankWest being 47 minutes compared to the same to North Sydney being 38 mins. Are you seriously telling me the extra 9 minutes is that big of a factor? I thought the club game was all about tribalism. Or is it only when it's convenient? Because I know Sea Eagles fans who live out my way (Camden) who attend every home game at Brookvale. Without complaint.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Great stadium. Geographic centre of Sydney, but in rugby terms, might as well be the moon.

Would like to go to the Samoa Test there, but its the wedding anniversary that night so probably won't make it.

Gee I wish people would stop referring to Premier Rugby as "grass roots".

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A quick look on Google Maps shows that it's only an extra 9 mins travel from Warringah to Bankwest (using the M2) than it is to North Sydney Oval. With Warringah to BankWest being 47 minutes compared to the same to North Sydney being 38 mins. Are you seriously telling me the extra 9 minutes is that big of a factor? I thought the club game was all about tribalism. Or is it only when it's convenient? Because I know Sea Eagles fans who live out my way (Camden) who attend every home game at Brookvale. Without complaint.

Anecdotally, Dee Why were in our Subbies division this year. They played away games at Chatswood, Lane Cove, Manly, and Wakehurst. But they forfeited both the Renegades and Western Raptors fixtures.

The moral to the story is: people on the insular peninsula don't like moving too far away from salt water.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It shows the total lack of equity that exists in the competition. It's been sold in seasons prior (and this current one) that each club would get at least one TV game a season. Now perhaps I missed that week. But I cannot recall seeing a Two Blues game this season.

Now, I agree they've struggled on the pitch. But the lack of coverage be it a token as one game a season would be shows a complete disinterest and dare I say it disdain for anything resembling the game west of the Burwood. The whining about having the GF held at Western Sydney Stadium despite it being a vastly superior facility than North Sydney Oval across a number of metrics in terms of viewing experience really only reinforces that.

West of Burwood? Pirates finished last in every grade and colts, except for Shute.

We're talking west of Broadway, with one island of resistance at Eastwood-on-Castle-Hill.

Two Blues were in one TV game I think, but I can't remember the details beyond it being a humping.

They also started forfeiting 4th Grade late in the season on the principle that players weren't paying fees/helping out in other ways.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

West of Burwood? Pirates finished last in every grade and colts, except for Shute.

We're talking west of Broadway, with one island of resistance at Eastwood-on-Castle-Hill.

Two Blues were in one TV game I think, but I can't remember the details beyond it being a humping.

They also started forfeiting 4th Grade late in the season on the principle that players weren't paying fees/helping out in other ways.
Round 9 was their last game.
They also forfeited 3rd grade v rats late in the season.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don’t believe google maps!

I know from rat park, I can jump on b1 for an easy/quick trip to neutral bay and a short walk to NSO.
An Uber on the way home is painless and reasonable cost.
A bus/train to Parra and an Uber home, is not even on the radar.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don’t believe google maps!

I know from rat park, I can jump on b1 for an easy/quick trip to neutral bay and a short walk to NSO.
An Uber on the way home is painless and reasonable cost.
A bus/train to Parra and an Uber home, is not even on the radar.

A quick look on both trip planner and google maps says that trip takes 56 mins.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Great stadium. Geographic centre of Sydney, but in rugby terms, might as well be the moon.

Would like to go to the Samoa Test there, but its the wedding anniversary that night so probably won't make it.

Gee I wish people would stop referring to Premier Rugby as "grass roots".

Good luck with that. Even though I agree.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
My question in all of this is: What do the Two Blues and the Pirates need to be competitive?

Is it money, management resources, players, coaches, volunteers?

If say John Singleton walked into 2 Blues headquarters and said here's a cheque for $2 million make it work. Would it help?

I hear of local Rugby League clubs on the Northern Beaches putting on buses to get players to games on the other side of Sydney.

Is this the sort of resources that the Pirates and 2 Blues need? I know that both of these clubs have strong connections to the Pacific Islander communities of Western Sydney. It really is an untapped resource for these clubs. If they had money to support those communities and the players then maybe they would be powerhouses.

Do the 2 blues or pirates have any connection with the Western Sydney universities? You have University of Western Sydney with its multiple campuses and the ACU at Strathfield. I heard on the grapevine that some players and coaches left HAC subbies last year to play with the 2 blues. Maybe a stronger connection with these organisations will help.

I certainly don't want to be critical of the people who are obviously doing their best at both of these clubs. Its a question of what do they need to be successful.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My question in all of this is: What do the Two Blues and the Pirates need to be competitive?

Is it money, management resources, players, coaches, volunteers?

If say John Singleton walked into 2 Blues headquarters and said here's a cheque for $2 million make it work. Would it help?

I hear of local Rugby League clubs on the Northern Beaches putting on buses to get players to games on the other side of Sydney.

Is this the sort of resources that the Pirates and 2 Blues need? I know that both of these clubs have strong connections to the Pacific Islander communities of Western Sydney. It really is an untapped resource for these clubs. If they had money to support those communities and the players then maybe they would be powerhouses.

Do the 2 blues or pirates have any connection with the Western Sydney universities? You have University of Western Sydney with its multiple campuses and the ACU at Strathfield. I heard on the grapevine that some players and coaches left HAC subbies last year to play with the 2 blues. Maybe a stronger connection with these organisations will help.

I certainly don't want to be critical of the people who are obviously doing their best at both of these clubs. Its a question of what do they need to be successful.

Short term fix. More resources would go a long way in terms of talent acquisition/retention. But ultimately long term they need more investment in building the Rugby playing and supporting community in Western Sydney.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Bit insulting to their current coaches.
West Harbour for example, lost 13 of last year's first grade team for various
reasons. How many other clubs would not be affected by that?
I think Wests coach , Mark Gudmonson , did a remarkable job under the circumstance.
By the way, Wests drew with Gordon when they played this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.