• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2020

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Happy New Year All.... here's to a great season of Club Rugby ahead for all players, clubs and supporters ....88 sleeps to go till the shrill sound of the referees' whistle signals the start of tribal hostilities...

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Below is what their Facebook page indicated just before Christmas....although I've not seen an updated Shute Shield draw that confirms their Shute Shield re-entry. Maybe the "final details" are still being worked out but as the FB post doesn't mention the Shute Shield specifically it may be that they will be fielding teams in Subbies and setting the setting themselves up for a spot in the 2021 SS.

“The Penrith Club wishes to advise it will be back playing Rugby in 2020.

This follows recent negotiations with the Sydney Rugby Union.

This a great result for the good of the game in Greater Western Sydney. This is one of largest catchments in NSW.
Final details are yet to be fine-tuned and confirmed.

Training for all Grade and under 20s will commence at Nepean Rugby Park 6:30pm on Tuesday the 7th of January.

All Players, Coaches and Volunteers are invited to attend.

Enquiries can be made at Penrithrugby.com or contact 0412661655.

Penrith Rugby.”

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll actually try and make it to a few 'wicks home games this year. Though I'm tempted by those burgers down @ Woollahra Oval even if it is a massive pain in the arse to get to.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll actually try and make it to a few 'wicks home games this year. Though I'm tempted by those burgers down @ Woollahra Oval even if it is a massive pain in the arse to get to.
The Beef Bourguignon rats coffin at Slime Central is also worth the trip out to Coogee Oval....it is a thing of beauty!

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Any word on how Penrith training went?
By the looks of socials it still looks like they are a long long way off Shute shield level.

I wish them well but they are remaining very coy on where they are playing this year and at what level.
Greater transparency would help get the wider community around them.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
For the fashion conscious Hillbilly about town it appears the Rats have ditched the Flanno for 2020 and replaced it with a Hawaiian shirt.....

9610620C-4726-46BE-AF63-D6B561838448.jpeg

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Any word on how Penrith training went?
By the looks of socials it still looks like they are a long long way off Shute shield level.

I wish them well but they are remaining very coy on where they are playing this year and at what level.
Greater transparency would help get the wider community around them.

They've updated their FB page with some photos of the turnout they got on Tuesday and Thursday this week....going by the photos it looks like they may have had 25-30 roll up.

In practical terms that would suggest re-entry into the SS in 2020 and seemingly 2021 is off the cards.

Would love to see this proud 55 year old club back in the fold to properly round out the comp.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
anyone know if the coaching ranks for first grade have changed at all clubs?
I know MG has left rats but not sure of the merry go round with others.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Apropos of nothing much, there is an amazing article in today's Hurled, in which Tom Carter finally admits that he could have been a better sportsman. Worth a read.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Inside back page of today's Daily Telegraph print edition

Non-revival of Shute Shield outcasts has Penrith Emus irate
by Jocelyn Airth

Essentially they were looking to enter two lower grade teams and one colts team this year.
SRU offered them a third-grade colts team, men's sevens, women's sevens and sub-districts competitions.
There is also a claim that Andrew Hore may have hampered an application for a $5m grant to upgrade facilities at Nepean Rugby Park for which the council committed $1.25m.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
From their FB page, they're doing 7's, and a 15's team doing???? But now aiming to get back in for 2021

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
From their FB page, they're doing 7's, and a 15's team doing???? But now aiming to get back in for 2021

By reports, they also turned down an invitation to play in subbies for 2020. I would have thought a great opportunity to build culture (hopefully a winning one) and prove sustainability, numbers, competitiveness to move back to shute.
I can't understand players willing to train for over a year, for the possible inclusion in Shute shield to play 3rd and 4th grade in 2021??

Going off communications on their FB page, i would take what's coming out from the Emus with a grain of salt.
The community wants to back them and I wish them luck but give us strong governance and transparency.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
If they go into Subbies they would find it hard to get back into Premiership if they end up getting beaten by other teams. Also they cannot pay players in Subs (yes yes).
With a lower grade team they were hoping to attract old players back to the club. SRU apparently rejected their request and they appear to be taking what is on offer. Sevens and a 15 colts side, at a guess.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
If they go into Subbies they would find it hard to get back into Premiership if they end up getting beaten by other teams. Also they cannot pay players in Subs (yes yes).
With a lower grade team they were hoping to attract old players back to the club. SRU apparently rejected their request and they appear to be taking what is on offer. Sevens and a 15 colts side, at a guess.

Madness. Surely they are a Div 4 Subbies club at best? They haven't won a game in 5 years, why are they so fixed on going back to Shute Shield? They have the facilities and a player base, just get back on the field and start playing again.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Madness. Surely they are a Div 4 Subbies club at best? They haven't won a game in 5 years, why are they so fixed on going back to Shute Shield? They have the facilities and a player base, just get back on the field and start playing again.

You're not wrong. I'm a supporter (as I grew up in the area), but surely just getting a team in a comp no matter the level should be the goal.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Emu's were at the Hawk's 7s on the weekend. Nothing to share from the team manager other than they will be back next year. Though other discussions indicated a Colts 3 team, Men's and Women's 7s, and a Subbies team.