• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2021

TheFairlightFlanker

Stan Wickham (3)
Sorry, for clarity I was referring to the idea of kicking clubs out as insane. I'm well aware of the fact that some clubs have surplus teams. Why would you reinstate a club like Penrith into Premier Rugby - after earlier kicking them out - only to kick them out again two year later!

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
This is so bad. Penrith on top of table in NRL and Parramatta not far behind. I don't follow league but from what I'm told this is due to their academies and is mainly local players. Not growing the game in Western Sydney would be so detrimental to everyone, I really hope RA or NSWRU step in to stop this. BTW I have no vested interest in Sydney, but just want best for game in the nation and I recognise Western Sydney as largest population growth area as well as already having a tonne of kids turning to league and aussie rules cause of the opportunities there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Personally, I think the Shute pushing for these new rules is in part is an admission and an validation of the argument that we don't have anything at standard to replace what the NRC was.

This screams of Shute trying to lift the standard of Shute to try to fill the NRC gap they can see; which they helped create. The fact they are looking for semi-professional teams etc, which is in reality what the NRC was IMHO says it all.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Frankly, outside of the call for the 4 and 3 Grade/Colts teams much of the details in the agreement make sense for a competition wanting to be semi-professional. I don't have an issue with it in that regard. That being said. This highlights the total lack of interest the Super Rugby has in anything west of the ANZAC Bridge and frankly should be the be catalyst for RA to directly intervene and look to establish a separate entity from the SRU in the western half of the city. Take the dozen or so clubs that would fall into that region. Resource them with the goal of developing them as full service clubs and looking to seed new clubs in the region while establishing 2-4 zone based academies designed to develop skills across the board and identify talent.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Could someone at Souths please provide their captain with a Rugby Law book so he doesn't have to ask the referee to explain every decision he makes?

And also, can we please stop this nonsense of refs telling captains to go and talk to their team when they give a warning --- just speak loudly enough so they all hear.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
And also, can we please stop this nonsense of refs telling captains to go and talk to their team when they give a warning --- just speak loudly enough so they all hear.

Really, should the referees stop expecting the captains to take a leadership role within their teams?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Really, should the referees stop expecting the captains to take a leadership role within their teams?

This has got nothing to do with leadership, it is just commonsense. The captain of the offending team can call out instructions as they form up in their defensive positions.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

IMO it's just a waste of time.
I doubt the captains ever say much about what the ref's warning because everyone knows what the problem is.

The players should know the laws and when a ref tells the captain "another infringement in the red zone and it will be a card" I reckon all the players know what's going on. Doesn't need the captain to call them all together and repeat what they all heard the ref say.

It just delays the game and let's the defence get organised and have a rest.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I understand your perspective and I can see how it could be a waste of time in certain circumstances ie it becomes a bit too routine. However the YC warning is a message to the captain that it is his last chance to fix his team's problem before the referee fixes it, so the referees are prepared to give the captain that last opportunity. Taking a moment to talk to the players was originally requested by captains.
I'm not sure it wastes much time (time is usually off) and more often than not, play restarts with a set piece where the defending team are set and have had a rest anyway.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
IMO it's just a waste of time.
I doubt the captains ever say much about what the ref's warning because everyone knows what the problem is.

The players should know the laws and when a ref tells the captain "another infringement in the red zone and it will be a card" I reckon all the players know what's going on. Doesn't need the captain to call them all together and repeat what they all heard the ref say.

It just delays the game and let's the defence get organised and have a rest.

I agree, but I guess it formalizes the warning.

Id say most captains walk over to the team and says "The refs a dickhead, now lets hit this next ruck had and force a turnover"

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why does a premier club need so many grades??

I’m yet to see one legit reason why

I fail to see how 4 grades and 3 colts is a mechanism to spread talent among clubs.

If it was 3 and 2 - than some players missing out on games might head the short distance away from Camperdown and maybe end up at Concord or even Parramatta

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I fail to see how 4 grades and 3 colts is a mechanism to spread talent among clubs.

If it was 3 and 2 - than some players missing out on games might head the short distance away from Camperdown and maybe end up at Concord or even Parramatta

2 grades, 2 colts, not against just one colts either. Send the rest back to subbies

You want to be a rep football competition, start acting like one