• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Pretty sure there are still a stack of rebels at Wests QPR, plus some rebels at other QPR teams. I think the ones who are at rebels from sydney teams though will be back with their shute teams. Louwrens is a strange one but with some players who dont have any connections, its generally whoever pays them the most to get them to play.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Pretty sure there are still a stack of rebels at Wests QPR, plus some rebels at other QPR teams. I think the ones who are at rebels from sydney teams though will be back with their shute teams. Louwrens is a strange one but with some players who dont have any connections, its generally whoever pays them the most to get them to play.

Only 3 last week (maybe a couple of others that have been moved on) & a few more now spread across the qpr with 2 playing backing in the Dewar Shield. Earlier this yr it was more than half wests side. There used to be some arrangement between nhru & rebels women maybe this is the reverse of it just 4 years late lol.

It good for the comp!

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Only 3 last week (maybe a couple of others that have been moved on) & a few more now spread across the qpr with 2 playing backing in the Dewar Shield. Earlier this yr it was more than half wests side. There used to be some arrangement between nhru & rebels women maybe this is the reverse of it just 4 years late lol.

It good for the comp!
Agree

If they want to make club rugby stronger, it should really be an even spread.

Tahs plays to play shute
Rebels to play melb
brumbies to play act
qld to play qld
force to play wa

otherwise you get crappy comps like melbourne and wa.

I know that if you play for brumbies, unless your uncontracted for the next season, you have to play act club comp.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bit of a catch 22 there because you want local Club competitions to get stronger in general but you also want your players to be exposed to the best Rugby possible to develop them if they are still at the Club level stage. That ends up being the SS and QPR. JID is a strong condensed comp so I understand the Brumbies doing that.

I think if you were to ask the Rebels their preference I reckon it is to develop the player over the competition because they are a team that still relies heavily on interstate recruitment. A kid like Fowler gets more out of playing SS and even some 1sts Colts games than Dewar Shield IMO. This benefits the Rebels over the next few years.

Rebels had really strong ties through Sydney Uni for a few years there with Damien Hill. Inman, English, Davidson, Stirzaker, Phipps, L Mitchell, Weeks, Roberts, Kingston.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Agree

If they want to make club rugby stronger, it should really be an even spread.

Tahs plays to play shute
Rebels to play melb
brumbies to play act
qld to play qld
force to play wa

otherwise you get crappy comps like melbourne and wa.

I know that if you play for brumbies, unless your uncontracted for the next season, you have to play act club comp.

Comps not strong enough, some players under some conditions can but players just wont improve enough. Its the same for the Force & to a lesser extent the Brums. I know last yr they sent Ross back to the SS post season & RVN has been sent back to qld this yr.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Also, nothing wrong with letting some of the young blokes not involved in national squads to go home for a couple months before pre season starts. A lot will have no ties yet to the location of team they might be signed with and once the season is over can be pretty quite

pnut

Billy Sheehan (19)
What tahs are playing this week ? Should be ripping up in clubland. We’re very poor last weekend. Goes along way to answer the tahs problems Depth.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Super Rugby players need to be playing in elite competitions to improve their own skills. Shute Shield and QPR are the two competitions where these players should be. Nice to have Force, Rebels and Brumby players in local comps but it wouldn't be doing much to improve their rugby if they are very dominant and not getting truly tested.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Uni: Lambert, Fa'aingaa, Botha, Swinton, Robertson, Poolman
Norths: Sinclair
Eastwood: Icely, Edmed
Gordon: Taulangi, Goddard, Walton
Two Blues: Nadolo
Southern Districts: Kuenzle
West Harbour: Orr
Manly: Ward
Randwick: Dowling
Easts: None
Warringah: None
Hunter: None (have read here that Louwrens is there)

If I've missed anyone please name them but there are also a few former Super Rugby/7s players in squad likes English, Kennewell, Clunies-Ross with Uni. Yool Yool with Manly. Tuala with Hunter. Craig, Albert, Fou at Eastwood

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Uni: Lambert, Fa'aingaa, Botha, Swinton, Robertson, Poolman
Norths: Sinclair
Eastwood: Icely, Edmed
Gordon: Taulangi, Goddard, Walton
Two Blues: Nadolo
Southern Districts: Kuenzle
West Harbour: Orr
Manly: Ward
Randwick: Dowling
Easts: None
Warringah: None
Hunter: None (have read here that Louwrens is there)

If I've missed anyone please name them but there are also a few former Super Rugby/7s players in squad likes English, Kennewell, Clunies-Ross with Uni. Yool Yool with Manly. Tuala with Hunter. Craig, Albert, Fou at Eastwood
Icely played half a season with us & Nowlan 1 season before he went to Japan

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Like what? Couple hints, at least the colours.

I expect Gordon TBH after what was happening just before the start of the season. Easts have been pretty disappointing but have had a huge amount of players used in 1st grade. Their fault though to have so many young kids you know will be unavailable quite a bit.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Like what? Couple hints, at least the colours.

I expect Gordon TBH after what was happening just before the start of the season. Easts have been pretty disappointing but have had a huge amount of players used in 1st grade. Their fault though to have so many young kids you know will be unavailable quite a bit.
Easts - talked to one of their players last night. the quality of coaching is below par, and apparently its open that people know hes out this year.
Gordon - great club, i think this is the last year for brian though. I believe he has said that from his return earlier that he will see out the year.
Warringah - openly advertised for new coach, believe they have their eye on a current shute coach
Eastwood - hearing they want a change, led by coach rather than club.
Two Blues - hearing some crazy stories from there

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd really love the Two Blues to have a few years of consistency and build it up. Sadly it never seems to happen.

Rats need to be aggressive. They are trotting out what feels like the same wider group that was around when they won in 2017. Very good set of Colts teams though.

Others I have no idea. Gordon are strong and with the right Coach will be in the top half of the table. Same as Eastwood. Plenty of cattle and a strong Club.

Easts are really disappointing after it seemed they had been steadily building under Pauli but he's with the Tahs now. Their local rivals are putting it together well which I'm sure adds to the pressure.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd really love the Two Blues to have a few years of consistency and build it up. Sadly it never seems to happen.

Rats need to be aggressive. They are trotting out what feels like the same wider group that was around when they won in 2017. Very good set of Colts teams though.

Others I have no idea. Gordon are strong and with the right Coach will be in the top half of the table. Same as Eastwood. Plenty of cattle and a strong Club.

Easts are really disappointing after it seemed they had been steadily building under Pauli but he's with the Tahs now. Their local rivals are putting it together well which I'm sure adds to the pressure.
Two blues are going through a power struggle at the moment, with the current president and current gm taking full control of the club and want to appoint their own staff in the grade program. Hearing the current gm, who is also current head of colts, wants the 1st grade position himself and is pitching for that. Id say rugby suicide for them if they did that.

Rats need a overhaul for sure, some very very good colts, but need to be eased into grade unless standouts. they do need freshening up.

Easts - you woupld expect the funds and budgets they have for their program, even with a lot of their younger stars not available, they would be able to recruit some high quality older heads who can take them to the next level, but in the last 2 seasons, they just havent been able to with this coach.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They need to get on the recruitment train now. Don't think they'll see much of Gamble, Holz, Wilson, Gamble, Bowen and Tuipolotu. Will Harris signed with the Force and Marolt not re signed by the Tahs so who knows where he'll be.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
They need to get on the recruitment train now. Don't think they'll see much of Gamble, Holz, Wilson, Gamble, Bowen and Tuipolotu. Will Harris signed with the Force and Marolt not re signed by the Tahs so who knows where he'll be.
Totally agree, they offcourse need to find a coach first, but would make sense to go straight to a current shute shield coach and try entice one along

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Gordon - great club, i think this is the last year for brian though. I believe he has said that from his return earlier that he will see out the year.
Were the events from earlier this year ever clarified? What caused the exit and backflip? Not muckraking just curious as it seemed to disappear quickly