• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
DC playing games with the rebs, both Wilson & Goddard not picked to play club rugby, looks like Holz back in a tahs jersey after his big performance last week Botha back at Uni
I bet the Rebs are terrified of harry Wilson. Not

Last edited:

Blind Freddy

Bob McCowan (2)
Sir Roden Cutler VC Shield

Can you help put together the history of the Roden Cutler Shield, by which I mean the sequential list of winners of the Shield?

The Shield itself has a plaque for each year, on most of which at least one club name is engraved. But it tells only part of the story, and may even be a little misleading.

Mr Jarse provided a blow-by-blow history in GAGR for 2016, but I can find no other attempt to properly document the history of what should be an important part of the Shute Shield landscape.

1683849898966.png

Any/all help would be appreciated.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
In 2020 Eastwood lost the last round game of the season to Gordon at TG Milner. Gordon held it into 2021 but not sure who they lost it to. It actually may have been Eastwood again before the comp was abandoned.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
02B11570-EC79-4779-88C9-6400BEBF00B9.jpeg

Gordon gave Easts a thumping. That young team roller coaster.

Are, are Hunter going to win this fucker? Says men in elbow patched blazers in Camperdown.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hunter are the best team now but when Super Rugby finishes probably not.
As a former inhabitant of Newcastle (for a couple of years), and as an Eastwood supporter who watched the old Wildfires kill us in their last game, I hope they can go on with it.

Blind Freddy

Bob McCowan (2)

Can you help put together the history of the Roden Cutler Shield, by which I mean the sequential list of winners of the Shield?

The Shield itself has a plaque for each year, on most of which at least one club name is engraved. But it tells only part of the story, and may even be a little misleading.

Mr Jarse provided a blow-by-blow history in GAGR for 2016, but I can find no other attempt to properly document the history of what should be an important part of the Shute Shield landscape.

View attachment 15959

View attachment 15959

The table has been posted to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shute_Shield#Sir_Roden_Cutler_VC_Shield_(Commenced_2000)
where it can be updated in place. Hopefully we can bring it up to speed.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Great to see Newcastle doing so well. We need a strong competition for the development of the whole game in Australia.
However there have only been 7 games this season and a long way to go before the GF.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How do you sydneysiders feel about this? We joke up here that the blokes that let them in the comp 2020 arent too happy !!
Love it.

The more competitive the SS is the better tbe comps goes in crowds and player dispersion. For a solid decade 05-15 when Uni just rolled the comp with Eastwood being their only competition it became uninteresting.

The last couple of seasons have been the best in a long time.

Mr Scott

Peter Burge (5)
i ment 2 seasons ago in that 2020 yr gordon pumped them by close to 100
After some initial "teething problems" with the local NHRU clubs the Wildfires are now pretty much their own thing. Its great for rugby in the area. They are seeing players move to Newcastle to play SS without having to be in the big smoke of Sydney. I understand they have a great set up within the University and they play out of No.2 Sportsground 'The Home of Rugby' which is easily the best rectangular sports facility (much to the annoyance of other sports) in the city purposely built (and heavily funded by) Rugby in 2012.

With some clever fixture adjustments the Wildfires are playing some stand alone fixtures like Good Friday vs Randwick (excellent crowd), 6pm kick off's and Sundays so the local rugby community can attend without clashing with their local club commitments.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
You might be thinking of Penrith here pal - Newcastle have not lost by 100 since re-birth in 2020.

I'd suggest they have not been beaten by 100 in any grade ever :)
Their Colts 1 were very weak in 2021 and were beaten by some very large margins and then dropped out of the comp after only a handful of matches. I am pretty sure that they conceded 100 points in at least 1 of these games; possibly 2. Agreed re 1st Grade.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
i ment 2 seasons ago in that 2020 yr gordon pumped them by close to 100
2020 was a strange season as the first half of the season was postponed and then teams had to have a 2nd pre-season in June. Many players disappeared. It was a very unusual season but we were all just happy that we had zero COVID in late 2022 and then were able to play some rugby.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
2020 was a strange season as the first half of the season was postponed and then teams had to have a 2nd pre-season in June. Many players disappeared. It was a very unusual season but we were all just happy that we had zero COVID in late 2022 and then were able to play some rugby.

Even so, they have done a fantastic job to get where they are. Its been a great season so far with how close everyone is

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Recruited well. Picking up a genuine first graders here and there from Sydney and Brisbane. I’m sure showing some of these guys in their mid/late 20s who may not go pro that Newcastle is a place you might want to live. A lot cheaper than Randwick, Manly or Gordon