• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's actually been pretty good for the last few seasons.
For sure. I mean more this year no surprise that Donaldson has looked his best with Gordon seeming to be more controlled. There’s a guy that could really help Randwick come finals.

Think Hunter might do Gordon today. Gordon without Goddard and McGregor. McGregor has been really good this year. I can see him going overseas if he wants to. Even MLR

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Lancaster likely to be with U20s the entire time. Back by finals I guess. Easts have to hold on without Bowen and Wilson for a number of rounds.

They will get bunch of guys back post Super Rugby, U20s WC and injury. Marolt, Holz, Bowen, Wilson, Harris, Tuipulotu, Gamble
For sure. I mean more this year no surprise that Donaldson has looked his best with Gordon seeming to be more controlled. There’s a guy that could really help Randwick come finals.

Think Hunter might do Gordon today. Gordon without Goddard and McGregor. McGregor has been really good this year. I can see him going overseas if he wants to. Even MLR
Current job too good won’t take the cut.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Eastwood looked like being overrun by the Wicks, but Batger pulled his usual (and weird) trick of bringing on one of their biggest weapons, Sione Tau, off the bench in the second half.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
20AEECF9-732E-4B19-85AF-640DE621EBBF.jpeg

The Rats are having a real tough year. Not surprised by Easts losing with a lot of players out. Big win for Gordon in the battle of the top 2.

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
What on earth has happened at Norths Colts this year? Where did all the players go?
Gone backwards from last year. A couple of good ISA boys were recruited, but none from the big schools. those that they were competitive with have now gone past them & a few boys are now jumping ship.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Do they not put as much emphasis on Colts? Norths 1st grade for the last decade has been built off recruitment and overseas pick ups more than Colts coming through.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Norths need to land some big recruits and those boys who are leaders that will attract other players. Once a couple make decisions others will follow. Also need to provide a program that kids are excited about and believe they will progress to the next level from.
For the sake of the Colts competition they need to put some emphasis on Colts recruitment. It would also help if player managers stopped pushing kids into programs where it is not in the best interests of the player. Kids need to have a year at least playing in their age group where they can develop and also get used to an 18 round plus semi final season. If good enough you can play rugby for at least 10 to 15 years in the professional environment. It does not all need to happen in your first year out of school.

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do they not put as much emphasis on Colts? Norths 1st grade for the last decade has been built off recruitment and overseas pick ups more than Colts coming through.
From the outside looking in, that exactly how it appears. First grade matters & not much else. Seems to be the opposite of most other clubs where a successful weekend isn't just determined by 1 team.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Norths need to land some big recruits and those boys who are leaders that will attract other players. Once a couple make decisions others will follow. Also need to provide a program that kids are excited about and believe they will progress to the next level from.
For the sake of the Colts competition they need to put some emphasis on Colts recruitment. It would also help if player managers stopped pushing kids into programs where it is not in the best interests of the player. Kids need to have a year at least playing in their age group where they can develop and also get used to an 18 round plus semi final season. If good enough you can play rugby for at least 10 to 15 years in the professional environment. It does not all need to happen in your first year out of school.

1st grade 90-0
2nd grade 78-0
3rd grade 65-5
Thats about as ugly as it gets for a mid season touch up. Suggest it gets worse from here for them as some say stuff this.

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
1st grade 90-0
2nd grade 78-0
3rd grade 65-5
Thats about as ugly as it gets for a mid season touch up. Suggest it gets worse from here for them as some say stuff this.
They haven't really helped themselves with colts. No teams entered in the U18 state champs this or last year that I can remember. All those kids who grew up playing in the junior rep teams are now playing with Manly or Gordon or elsewhere.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon there would be more Gordon Juniors at Norths in grade than the other way around.

Wonder what impact a Subbies club like Mosman that is huge might have. They run around 5/6 grades and would have 30 Colts of their own all out of the GPS/CAS.

When you always bring in new players from outside every year and it’s what you rely on it might be nice for a period but I do think it catches up with less passion from the traditional club stalwarts eventually. Another kid who is a fringe premiership player….he’ll be gone next year.

Jack Gallagher

Allen Oxlade (6)
What on earth has happened at Norths Colts this year? Where did all the players go?
Here is my analysis based on things I could access e.g. website team lists, results...

Round 18// 1st Colts v Eastern Suburbs, Saturday, August 6th, 2022, 12:35 PM @ Bon Andrews Oval

1. Tim Ryan

2. Finn Barry

3. Michael Frino

4. James Woods

5. Harry Agar

6. John McCaffery

7. Ryan Devine (c)

8. Tom Cusack

9. Zac Davidson

10. Frankie Dunkin

11. Dylan McCann

12. Angus James

13. Will Chen

14. Jack Abbott

15. Will Daley

This team was beaten 29-26 by easts 1s colts in round 18 2022, who went on to win the premiership. They also beat other 1st colts gf finalists manly. Now they are consistently being beaten by +50 in regular round matches.

Was curious for the decline so had a look over this years team lists and only about 3 players have returned from this line up. Think theres an issue with the consistency of their recruitment. Here is the round 1 2023 team:

1. Ben Williams

2. Rex Collins

3. Aaron Hackett

4. Harry Agar (returning)

5. Toby Phillips

6. Lachlan McInnery

7. Sam Eagleton

8. Tom Cusack (returning)

9. Patrick Hickman

10. Matt Dodds

11. Liam Dinnell

12. Rory Hogan

13. Dan Chambers

14. Jono Rasmussen

15. Frankie Dunkin (returning)

The year previous to 2022 they finished 3rd on the later in 1st colts. Think it shows how important consistent recruitment is and how critical blooding players early is so when their time comes they are ready to go. Good luck to them for the future.

Last edited:

Jack Gallagher

Allen Oxlade (6)
The first grade line up had 10 returning players, hence the continuity in their success...

Round 1 - 1st Grade v Sydney University, Saturday, April 1st, 3:05 PM @ University Oval No.2

1. Jack Brewer

2. Sam Kitchen

3. Michael Scott *

4. Saxon Gillies*

5. Declan Carroll

6. Boston Kerapa

7. Charlie Jeavons-Fellows

8. Luke Gersekowski*

9. Nick Duffy

10. Jude Gibbs*

11. Ratu Tagive*

12. Harry Burey (c)

13. Henry O'Donnell*

14. Seb Cameron

15. Reece Mau'u

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Here is my analysis based on things I could access e.g. website team lists, results...

Round 18// 1st Colts v Eastern Suburbs, Saturday, August 6th, 2022, 12:35 PM @ Bon Andrews Oval

1. Tim Ryan

2. Finn Barry

3. Michael Frino

4. James Woods

5. Harry Agar

6. John McCaffery

7. Ryan Devine (c)

8. Tom Cusack

9. Zac Davidson

10. Frankie Dunkin

11. Dylan McCann

12. Angus James

13. Will Chen

14. Jack Abbott

15. Will Daley

This team was beaten 29-26 by easts 1s colts in round 18 2022, who went on to win the premiership. They also beat other 1st colts gf finalists manly. Now they are consistently being beaten by +50 in regular round matches.

Was curious for the decline so had a look over this years team lists and only about 3 players have returned from this line up. Think theres an issue with the consistency of their recruitment. Here is the round 1 2023 team:

1. Ben Williams

2. Rex Collins

3. Aaron Hackett

4. Harry Agar (returning)

5. Toby Phillips

6. Lachlan McInnery

7. Sam Eagleton

8. Tom Cusack (returning)

9. Patrick Hickman

10. Matt Dodds

11. Liam Dinnell

12. Rory Hogan

13. Dan Chambers

14. Jono Rasmussen

15. Frankie Dunkin (returning)

The year previous to 2022 they finished 3rd on the later in 1st colts. Think it shows how important consistent recruitment is and how critical blooding players early is so when their time comes they are ready to go. Good luck to them for the future.
James Woods, Zac Davidson & Ryan Devine I think were missing at the start of the year. They are now back in the fuse sports team lists