• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2023

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good coach. Recruited from Sydney and QLD. Hopefully it helps the profile grow and then develop more local talent, lower grades and Colts.
The Newcastle/Hunter region has always been pretty strong. I think the reason that the first incarnation of the Wildfires failed was because of enmity between Newcastle and Maitland. I was living in Newcastle for the last year or so of their existence. The crowd at the Stadium was a few hundred, it was a bit embarrassing.

Last edited:

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Big weekend of Club Rugby coming up. With the table so tight Gordon can go from 1st to 5th depending on results. Club Championship points also vital across both grade and colts this weekend.
Can Easts stay in touch until the Super Rugby Cavalry return or is their season over if they can't get the points against Hunter.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Depends on the Club, Player, wins & losses.

I can comment on on one club a couple of seasons back had a flat rate of $200 for a 1st grade starter and it was upped to $400 for a win. A lot of these guys also lived in share houses provided by the Club/sponsors.

A lot of Clubs now are going down the Uni admission route as well.

Jack Gallagher

Allen Oxlade (6)
how much are players getting paid? I know the second grade coach who recently quit wasnt even getting petrol money to drive to newy and back twice a week...
most clubs sit around $200 mark for starting first grade, this obviously varies and additional things can be included to. e.g. petrol, gym memberships, accom assistance...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
876DC0AD-97BE-4867-9942-719B33B34979.jpeg

Manly thumping the Stags. They just keep rolling. Will they have their late season slump like clockwork each year.

Easts are done. Too much work to do IMO when they won’t get Tahs back for another couple rounds.

Uni needed that win. Those fuckers just keep lurking and will surge into the business end.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah everyone can beat anyone now which makes it great for player development as well. It’s worth moving to another club and playing first grade and it won’t hurt your future because you won’t be a joke.

Rats are pretty garbage this year. They need to go on a recruitment push/hold your Colts.

Two Blues not too many seasons ago were cellar dwellers, they've really turned a corner
Yep them and the emus always circled the game on the calendar against each other to see who avoided the spoon.Speaking of the emus did they go back to subbies(only just moved back from Canada and haven't followed the Shute shield for 10 years)

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
How many weeks for Ratu from Eastwood. Kicking a player in head while opponent in ground. 6?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah everyone can beat anyone now which makes it great for player development as well. It’s worth moving to another club and playing first grade and it won’t hurt your future because you won’t be a joke.

Rats are pretty garbage this year. They need to go on a recruitment push/hold your Colts.
Have the RATs ever had the spoon?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How many weeks for Ratu from Eastwood. Kicking a player in head while opponent in ground. 6?
Life for a deliberate kick to the head. That is just not acceptable, he could look forward to a court case I reckon.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Life for a deliberate kick to the head. That is just not acceptable, he could look forward to a court case I reckon.
I support that. If it’s a deliberate kick to the head there is no place for it.
Have the RATs ever had the spoon?
Couldn’t tell you. Always been an upper middle of the pack Club in my time following with the obvious peak a few years ago. They haven’t had any new faces recently and just the older squad slowly fading away.