• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good post.

On this part..I was talking to one of the main guys at West Harbour who share Concord Oval with the Tigers. He said they were brilliant to work with, lots of mutual respect. They even 'shared' coaches and while I was there they were running joint drills for the NRLW team

Yep. Like our arrangement with Parra: both clubs know who they are, and that they're not in competition with each other.

And we all understand who gets preference if there is a conflict, but that is fairly clear from the outset.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Exactly. I think a lot of this rivalry is overblown by the windbags on the telly (yes, I'm looking at you, Vossy)

So many juniors play both codes and frequently switch back and forth, at all levels.

At Colts (especially) I'll see 'X" playing - and then find out his NRL club told him to 'go back and play some rugby' to keep his fitness up when their Ball or Jersey Flegg requirements are in a lull.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yep. Like our arrangement with Parra: both clubs know who they are, and that they're not in competition with each other.

And we all understand who gets preference if there is a conflict, but that is fairly clear from the outset.
Back in the good old days Parra Leagues Club sponsored the Two Blues.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Exactly. I think a lot of this rivalry is overblown by the windbags on the telly (yes, I'm looking at you, Vossy)

It is obviously part of the territory with being in their facility: we have more positive contact and support from Parra Eels than we do almost every element of Rugby in NSW. While it's in their interests to help, they still do, and with respect.

What do I get from NSWRU and RA? Bills to pay. That is also part of the territory, but what does my club get for the "National Participation Fee"? I'm still not sure, as nobody has bothered to explain it to me.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
In my days in subbies in various admin roles - I always had the view that if you dont expect anything - you won't be dissppointed when you don't get anything!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Anyone know when the subbies draw comes out? prob going to go to the wales test next yr & was thinking of checking out WC or Waverley before

RollingMaulPodcast

Frank Row (1)
Welcome to the Shute Shield forum for 2024. This is your one stop shop for all things related to the competition.

How are all of the clubs looking for 2024?

Who are the new coaches?

What are the big signings/transfers?

Who is your tip to win the competition?
Welcome to the Shute Shield forum for 2024. This is your one stop shop for all things related to the competition.

Who are the new coaches?

Looking forward to seeing a big progression from Wildfires,

Who are the new coaches?

looking forward to seeing the wildfires progression could really set the comp on fire, Randwick my favourite to back it up, hoping to see West Harbour have a good year.

Check out this 2 part series with Port Macquarie Pirates premiership winning coach
Cameron Gray

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Early predictions for the 2024 season based on rumours of alleged club player changes: = the same, + moving up, - moving down.

Norths =
Randwick -
Eastwood +
Manly =
Gordon -
Hunter Wildfires -
Two Blues -
Sydney Uni +
West Harbour +
Eastern Suburbs +
Warringah +
Souths =

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Early predictions for the 2024 season based on rumours of alleged club player changes: = the same, + moving up, - moving down.

Norths =
Randwick -
Eastwood +
Manly =
Gordon -
Hunter Wildfires -
Two Blues -
Sydney Uni +
West Harbour +
Eastern Suburbs +
Warringah +
Souths =
RW do you have any of these alleged player changes? Would be good to see who is after greener pastures.
By all accounts Uni colts will be back to their usual GPS/NSW Schools strength. I heard Norths missed the boat and lost a number of players to Uni etc while the Rats colts have been hard at training for a while.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Well my predictions above are simply based on early rumours, & early rumours often prove to be incorrect.
There will be much more correct information in the coming weeks when things will become clearer.
My list is based on what I hear around the traps, & is intended to promote discussion from those who know more than I.
There are always comings & goings in all clubs each year, but there may be a positive or negative balance hence that is
what I based my prediction on.
e.g Randwick have allegedly lost Daly,Houston, & Miln? I have not heard of any major signing, but obviously were strong in the lower grades
who may move up. Overall without information to the contrary, I think that's a negative result? No doubt there will be some new players coming.
Warringah have signed up a number of players , including Miln,a lock from Parra.a prop from Eastwood,a back rower from Manly, & they have lost a tight head to the super comp.Good numbers overall etc.plus a successful colts group to fill the lower grades.A positive.
And so it goes on.
Numerous examples for all the clubs which no doubt will not be inclusive or accurate, which I won't add.
However at this time of year it's always "exciting" for all Club supporters to be hopeful & optimistic.
I welcome some other rumours from others in the know.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
RW do you have any of these alleged player changes? Would be good to see who is after greener pastures.
By all accounts Uni colts will be back to their usual GPS/NSW Schools strength. I heard Norths missed the boat and lost a number of players to Uni etc while the Rats colts have been hard at training for a while.
I wonder how many Eastwood lads end up at East’s with Ben Batger and Jed Gillespie. The fact that Billy Melrose is an assistant coach has to be enticing as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder how many Eastwood lads end up at East’s with Ben Batger and Jed Gillespie. The fact that Billy Melrose is an assistant coach has to be enticing as well.
He'd have a few key ones surely with a target but probably the same ones Eastwood would want to keep.

I'd be surprised if Easts have a huge jump up the table. Improvement yes but it may be the year after they push right up there. Need time to bring in some other players, game plans and let Colts develop.

Hopefully they move away from signing every Aus U18s player that you never see after they're 20.