• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
You'd have to think Rats 2nd grade will be almost a complete team of last years successful 1st colts team. I suspect Rats will be everywhere come semis time given the significant number of colts who should also sprinkle across all the lower grades.
I'd be surprised if some of the colts are not in first grade.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rugby news reporting Harry Wilson to Easts. Not surprised given his brother is there and Batger as well.
Rumour of Tane Edmed leaving Eastwood for a new home as well.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Rugby news reporting Harry Wilson to Easts. Not surprised given his brother is there and Batger as well.
Rumour of Tane Edmed leaving Eastwood for a new home as well.
Tane Edmed gets around. Was a Wests junior, then played at Randwick before going to Eastwood.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
I'm out of the loop but there is obviously a problem at Eastwood with a heap of players going and the coach (who is a club stalwart). What has happened to make everyone jump ship?

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'm out of the loop but there is obviously a problem at Eastwood with a heap of players going and the coach (who is a club stalwart). What has happened to make everyone jump ship?
Batger had been coach for a long time. No great surprise to me when he jumped ship. As far as the players are concerned, I assume that some of them wanted to stay with him. Plus no doubt Easts club might have a bit more dosh to spray around.

It looks like a cold winter at TGM!

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Batger had been coach for a long time. No great surprise to me when he jumped ship. As far as the players are concerned, I assume that some of them wanted to stay with him. Plus no doubt Easts club might have a bit more dosh to spray around.

It looks like a cold winter at TGM!

I just had a little read online. He was an assistant at the Woodies in 17/18 and head coach from 2019-23 so he is hardly Craig Bellamy in terms of time at one club. It looks like he is ultimately seeking for the next challenge in order to test himself, which fair enough. Sounds like he wants to become a career coach and good luck to him.

I agree it might be a long cold winter at TGM.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just had a little read online. He was an assistant at the Woodies in 17/18 and head coach from 2019-23 so he is hardly Craig Bellamy in terms of time at one club. It looks like he is ultimately seeking for the next challenge in order to test himself, which fair enough. Sounds like he wants to become a career coach and good luck to him.

I agree it might be a long cold winter at TGM.
But wasn't he playing for Eastwood up to the time he took on the assistant role? So he's got time in the club first as a player, than a coach?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
But wasn't he playing for Eastwood up to the time he took on the assistant role? So he's got time in the club first as a player, than a coach?
Yeah, he played a long time and won comps as a player. Really big part of the Club and leaving is a big move but I think a good one if coaching is his goal long term.

I think a couple of other players have left as well who haven't gone to Easts but aren't too keen on staying when most of the band has left. Had a strong Colts group so no doubt some will push through but rarely can they win 1st grade games on a consistent basis.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Easts just posted there annual report, made 120k last yr & sit on a nice nest egg of 550k. Question I have is they spent over $300k on coaching & development. Is this a common amount in the SS? I know there is 10 sides plus assistants & s+c coaches & so forth or are they just spending it because they are in the position to?

Would Randwick & Uni spend roughly the same amount?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Id say so. Given every club needs to appoint a full time coach for Shute Shield. Are you going to get a full time coach (given they can’t work other jobs) for less than $120k?