• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Eastwood did have a wallaby and melbourne rebels player playing their last trial and i hear bringing in a lot more rebels players who arent playing games that weekend in super rugby. I think they will be pretty decent still. a lot of young talent.

Pone Fa’amausili

Thought I saw him on Eastwoods socials donning the white and blue.

Wonder which other rebels players will end up at Eastwoods this season?

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I also hear that, like Subbies, not everyone is going to be deep in numbers in their lowest grade. To be expected if guys aren't getting game time.

You'd need a crapload of registered players to keep 4 + 3 going
Plenty of clubs have enough for 5 grades and 4 / 5 colts teams. Which clubs are u referring to. 2 blues and Hunter. Nothing new there

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Plenty of clubs have enough for 5 grades and 4 / 5 colts teams. Which clubs are u referring to. 2 blues and Hunter. Nothing new there

As I said above: Wildfires and Two Blues have made clear which competitions they are not contesting, so that isn't who I'm talking about.

Norths & Souths weren't kicking a lot of goals last year - particularly the former who had a few forfeits in Colts as well (2 home, 2 away). Hopefully they can build out of that. Looking at 4 Grades + Colts:

Souths: 12th, 12th, 11th, 2nd, 10th, 8th (of 11), 9th (of 10)
Norths: 1st, 8th, 8th, 4th, 9th, 10th (of 11), 10th (of 10)

Meanwhile, as you say: multiple clubs are running around with enough numbers for 8-10 teams without issue. If Gordon are raking in the Colts, where does that leave Norths?

Shame many of those guys won't see decent field time if they're sitting on the 5th team bench.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
As I said above: Wildfires and Two Blues have made clear which competitions they are not contesting, so that isn't who I'm talking about.

Norths & Souths weren't kicking a lot of goals last year - particularly the former who had a few forfeits in Colts as well (2 home, 2 away). Hopefully they can build out of that. Looking at 4 Grades + Colts:

Souths: 12th, 12th, 11th, 2nd, 10th, 8th (of 11), 9th (of 10)
Norths: 1st, 8th, 8th, 4th, 9th, 10th (of 11), 10th (of 10)

Meanwhile, as you say: multiple clubs are running around with enough numbers for 8-10 teams without issue. If Gordon are raking in the Colts, where does that leave Norths?

Shame many of those guys won't see decent field time if they're sitting on the 5th team bench.
That's kind of Norths problem in my opinion. They use to be a top to bottom club but it seems now only care about 1st Grade. If the Colts are garbage what does it matter since we'll bring in half a 1st grade.

It is a shame they haven't got a women's side since they have a pretty steady 7s program with the girls.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's kind of Norths problem in my opinion. They use to be a top to bottom club but it seems now only care about 1st Grade. If the Colts are garbage what does it matter since we'll bring in half a 1st grade.

I think we've probably got a few clubs in SRU who are perfectly happy to keep on warehousing players, and a few who are seeing it is unsustainable.

I liken it to some of the erosion we're seeing in Subbies - there are multiple factors at play, but ultimately the result is the same: less rugby.

It is a shame they haven't got a women's side since they have a pretty steady 7s program with the girls.

I've always found the womens XVs situation odd in Sydney. It was announced with hue and cry that SRU would have womens, and here we are, several years later, with Randwick, Norths, and Eastwood having no side.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Anyone who has been around & involved in club rugby long enough, would know not to
place too much emphasis on the results of trial games when making predictions
about the outcome of the competition.
From what I have seen this rear ,most of the clubs have simply used the trials
as just that, with numerous players being used , particularly those clubs which have
recruited heavily & have a large number of new players to assess.
A number of clubs also have new coaches who are feeling their way about the club &
players at their disposal.
Some clubs will likely have as many as 50 percent or more, of this years team,
different to last years.
Whilst the Shute competition historically is pretty much more of the same each year,
I believe there will be more up & down the ladder this year than we normally see.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
TBH I think SRU could elevate itself into proper semi-pro status if it reformed into 2 Grades + Colts U20, and develop partnerships with Subbies clubs to transition the oversupply.

If we keep running our own races, we're going to keep facing increasing challenges.
Sunnies is on par with 4th grade why not rename Kentwell cup name

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sunnies is on par with 4th grade why not rename Kentwell cup name

A 4th Grade player in SRU would probably be at home in 2nd Grade in some Divisions, depending on the club.

Some of the top Kentwell teams would be good value against more than a few Colin Caird sides. Let's not forget that Blue Mountains have a few quality ex-Premier players in their lineup and didn't have it all their own way.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
A 4th Grade player in SRU would probably be at home in 2nd Grade in some Divisions, depending on the club.

Some of the top Kentwell teams would be good value against more than a few Colin Caird sides. Let's not forget that Blue Mountains have a few quality ex-Premier players in their lineup and didn't have it all their own way.
Not a chance. Subbies 3 grade at best. With a few 2 nd graders playing for them