• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sorry dad he wasnt that outstanding but good luck to the lad with his future, a number of teams have players out at the moment, the worrying sign for uni was losing 6 out of 7 games yesterday following their results a week earlier vs Randwick
Fortunately for the universe I didn't start having kids when I was 12. Not sure my balls were even working by that stage. Not sure what more you expect an 18 year old tight forward to do on debut. I thought he was bloody excellent in disrupting or stealing 4-5 lineouts and doing the basics well. Anyway, I totally agree that Uni are in a big hole across the grades at the moment and there is no cavalry coming anytime soon.

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
Fortunately for the universe I didn't start having kids when I was 12. Not sure my balls were even working by that stage. Not sure what more you expect an 18 year old tight forward to do on debut. I thought he was bloody excellent in disrupting or stealing 4-5 lineouts and doing the basics well. Anyway, I totally agree that Uni are in a big hole across the grades at the moment and there is no cavalry coming anytime soon.
Geez Bob, it made me wonder what soon-to-be adult aged kids I might have out there...

Uni certainly throwing a lot of kids in at the deep end recently. One of the props yesterday, Jackson Stiel, is only 19. I thought both he and the kid in the second row were pretty good but I'm a former winger so my view of single digit jerseys probably doesn't count :). The No, 7, Allsopp was seriously good in a beaten team and I think he is only 20. Uni certainly are heavily overloaded with Colts aged kids in 1st and 2nd grade recently. About 10 at my last count. Probably points to both a depth issue in grade and on oversupply of Colts talent. Uni were certainly outsized in every grade across the past 2 weeks. The powerhouse clubs this year are certainly to the east and north of the CBD. Watched the Easts-Randwick game on replay and certainly a notch up on every other game I have looked at.

Cockatoo Run

Herbert Moran (7)
Speaking of Colts, it’s bloody good to see Souths colts doing well early doors. Hoping they can continue.

Anyone been watching Souths first grade play? I was hoping Joe Barakat would turn things around as he’s a good coach. Do they just not have the cattle?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Geez Bob, it made me wonder what soon-to-be adult aged kids I might have out there...

Uni certainly throwing a lot of kids in at the deep end recently. One of the props yesterday, Jackson Stiel, is only 19. I thought both he and the kid in the second row were pretty good but I'm a former winger so my view of single digit jerseys probably doesn't count :). The No, 7, Allsopp was seriously good in a beaten team and I think he is only 20. Uni certainly are heavily overloaded with Colts aged kids in 1st and 2nd grade recently. About 10 at my last count. Probably points to both a depth issue in grade and on oversupply of Colts talent. Uni were certainly outsized in every grade across the past 2 weeks. The powerhouse clubs this year are certainly to the east and north of the CBD. Watched the Easts-Randwick game on replay and certainly a notch up on every other game I have looked at.
Perhaps it has something to do with the points system and how they need to have some of their talented Colts age recruits in Grade in order to stay below the points cap. Certainly the players mentioned are playing very well. I just hope they dont "break" them.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
A clear indication of what is wrong with Rugby in Australia. Pushing players into a level where they are not ready and risking breaking those kids before they can establish their careers. Doyle is a great player but should be playing against his cohort and learning his craft in Colts. As should a number of those kids who have to play 2nd Grade for Uni instead of Colts because they broke the points cap last year.
Uni do nothing for Australian Rugby by warehousing players and forcing them to play up in Grade. Very few are going to make it at the next level and breaking them early as an 18 year old against men does not help.
Let kids play with their mates and develop physically and learn their craft. If they are good enough they will get to that next level through hard work and dedication.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Frankie Goldsborough is playing Colts 1 this year in QLD; he is signed to a full-time contract with Reds. Lynagh did similar with UQ, and played Colts 1 before being pushed up into premier grade.

Some areas are doing it well, others not so much.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
A clear indication of what is wrong with Rugby in Australia. Pushing players into a level where they are not ready and risking breaking those kids before they can establish their careers. Doyle is a great player but should be playing against his cohort and learning his craft in Colts. As should a number of those kids who have to play 2nd Grade for Uni instead of Colts because they broke the points cap last year.
Uni do nothing for Australian Rugby by warehousing players and forcing them to play up in Grade. Very few are going to make it at the next level and breaking them early as an 18 year old against men does not help.
Let kids play with their mates and develop physically and learn their craft. If they are good enough they will get to that next level through hard work and dedication.
A testament to what Rugba Leeg do so well. They keep players at a level that parallels their progression, not throw them in the deep end and trial them by fire, unless of course they are a genetic or skillfully too good and have proved, through training with a top 30 squad throughout preseason and trials, to be physically able to handle it {i.e Joseph Sua'ali'i, Lachlan Galvin, Ethan Strange}. It can work, for specific boys, but only around 2-3 should be able to handle it in a team. The Sydney Uni 2nd grade team largely consisted of 5-7 boys who are a year out of school, which just isn't right. Keep them together in Colts programs, grow the competitiveness of the competition as a whole while also congruently influencing boys to stay in rugby after a school/club level. Take this with a grain of salt though, just a spectator's viewpoint.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A testament to what Rugba Leeg do so well. They keep players at a level that parallels their progression, not throw them in the deep end and trial them by fire, unless of course they are a genetic or skillfully too good and have proved, through training with a top 30 squad throughout preseason and trials, to be physically able to handle it {i.e Joseph Sua'ali'i, Lachlan Galvin, Ethan Strange}. It can work, for specific boys, but only around 2-3 should be able to handle it in a team. The Sydney Uni 2nd grade team largely consisted of 5-7 boys who are a year out of school, which just isn't right. Keep them together in Colts programs, grow the competitiveness of the competition as a whole while also congruently influencing boys to stay in rugby after a school/club level. Take this with a grain of salt though, just a spectator's viewpoint.
Fine in theory but they cant because they breach the points system and cant play them at the same time. Uni's "dirty little secret" that is NEVER discussed in recruitment presentations. The proposition of playing at Uni is very attractive for these young players. The facilities,accomodation assistance and access to study support BUT it comes at a cost. They either get limited time in Colts or are moved into grade. No one is going to turn down the opportunity as a player but whether it is in their best interests and the interests of the competition is the issue. Imagine if all the best young players were allocated by NSW Rugby to various Colts Clubs to spread the talent and for these kids to all play in First Grade Colts...... Wouldnt that be a better model?

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fine in theory but they cant because they breach the points system and cant play them at the same time. Uni's "dirty little secret" that is NEVER discussed in recruitment presentations. The proposition of playing at Uni is very attractive for these young players. The facilities,accomodation assistance and access to study support BUT it comes at a cost. They either get limited time in Colts or are moved into grade. No one is going to turn down the opportunity as a player but whether it is in their best interests and the interests of the competition is the issue. Imagine if all the best young players were allocated by NSW Rugby to various Colts Clubs to spread the talent and for these kids to all play in First Grade Colts...... Wouldnt that be a better model?
It would be, but I imagine a Joeys/View boy being allocated to Two Blues would not fair well with the boy. It also takes away the integral system of coming up through a clubs juniors, playing state champs, then returning to the club for colts. It isn't viable. The points system is exploited by Uni, I agree, but that is SS problem to investigate to which there has not been any developments. Like always, RA doing nothing, even though it would be beneficial to the competition and the sport as a whole.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It would be, but I imagine a Joeys/View boy being allocated to Two Blues would not fair well with the boy. It also takes away the integral system of coming up through a clubs juniors, playing state champs, then returning to the club for colts. It isn't viable. The points system is exploited by Uni, I agree, but that is SS problem to investigate to which there has not been any developments. Like always, RA doing nothing, even though it would be beneficial to the competition and the sport as a whole.
This is a SRU & NSWRU issue, RA's control/direct influence over the Shute Shield through governance is minimal; this is a result of the federated model Australian rugby lives within.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)

Maybe NSW Rugby could allocate players to a couple of clubs then it is up to the club to pitch to the player why they are the better club, and the player chooses from there. Junior clubs should also get a good say as to why a player should stay with them after school.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Maybe NSW Rugby could allocate players to a couple of clubs then it is up to the club to pitch to the player why they are the better club, and the player chooses from there. Junior clubs should also get a good say as to why a player should stay with them after school.
A solution I have long supported was if you want a Gen Blue Contract or any form of development or training contract with NSW Rugby, NSW Rugby determine which Club you go to. Remember ALL clubs are meant to provide a standard of coaching and development to players which is in the participation agreement to enter NSW Premier Rugby (Shute Shield) That is the trade off and price of entering elite development. Think of it like a Draft.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Speaking of Colts, it’s bloody good to see Souths colts doing well early doors. Hoping they can continue.

Anyone been watching Souths first grade play? I was hoping Joe Barakat would turn things around as he’s a good coach. Do they just not have the cattle?
Don't know what has happened the last two rounds, however, 1st Grade would be much different if not for goal kicking. 'Relatively' easy missed attempts cost them a draw in R1 against Rats and a win against Hunter. Did not watch R3 v Norths however 32 zip is not a goal kicking issue.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
From Rugby News:
Northern Suburbs v Randwick
Max Jorgensen is set to make his Shute Shield debut for Randwick in Saturday’s grand final rematch at North Sydney Oval.
Jorgensen will start at fullback for the Galloping Greens, with James Hendren shifting to the wing in place of returning Waratah Dylan Pietch.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
With Shore playing Oakhill at 5pm at North Sydney oval - the expected crowd may mean the Norths / Wicks second half may be the biggest for the year.

workingdasnipe

Peter Burge (5)
From Rugby News:
Northern Suburbs v Randwick
Max Jorgensen is set to make his Shute Shield debut for Randwick in Saturday’s grand final rematch at North Sydney Oval.
Jorgensen will start at fullback for the Galloping Greens, with James Hendren shifting to the wing in place of returning Waratah Dylan Pietch.
Had a bit of a tough afternoon Max. Few errors and the Shoremen gave him plenty of stick. Also went off injured in 2nd Half.