• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

So, who here thinks Deans is the coach we need?

Deans - the Wallabies coach to take on the Lions, or another coach on the scrapheap of Aussie rugby?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Deans has so far exhibited diddly fucking squat of those qualities. Link has demonstrated many of them in his tenure with the Tahs and Reds. Remember the 2009/2010 Reds forward pack? 2, perhaps three internationals? Yet they took apart international laden forward packs with ease by being well coached, and working as a team. The perfect example is their dismantling of the Stormers in 2011. Went over there and utterly crushed the Stormers pack by playing a perfectly executed tight grinding game. The next week they rocked up and scored 6 tries.

Or getting the best out of players. Why is Genia superb at Super level, and then mediocre at best, resorting to shit box kicks and slow ruck service? Sure, the quality of the team is higher at Bledisloe level, but they're the same opposing players. When one player is suddenly better at a different level under a different coach, you've gotta go with Occam's razor...
You are making the assumption that successful coaching at Super Rugby level will automatically result in successful coaching at International level. I seem to remember that same assumption being made with a certain Wallabies coach once before....

It may well turn out to be the case with Link if/when he is given the job. But to point to his record and particular performances of his team at Super Rugby level and say that on that basis he is a better coach than Deans is a bit naive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Genia is still excellent at test level. Clearly one of the best half backs in the game.

Maybe it's an indication that test match rugby is of a much higher standard and intensity than Super Rugby and it isn't as easy to dominate.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You are making the assumption that successful coaching at Super Rugby level will automatically result in successful coaching at International level. I seem to remember that same assumption being made with a certain Wallabies coach once before..

It may well turn out to be the case with Link if/when he is given the job. But to point to his record and particular performances of his team at Super Rugby level and say that on that basis he is a better coach than Deans is a bit naive.

Point well made, but we don't pluck coaches from coaching Penrith 3rd Grade either. Coaching a Super rugby team is usually a pre-requisite for the Wallaby/All Black/Boks job.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Exactly. Deans had a team full or superstars, and a culture he inherited.Fuck me, I could have won the damn title with that lineup!

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Jake White did well without coaching a Super Rugby team before guiding the Boks to win RWC 2007. Now rectifying that with the Brumbies before another likely national appointment.

Exactly. Deans had a team full or superstars, and a culture he inherited.Fuck me, I could have won the damn title with that lineup!

Like being coach of the Australian cricket team in the late 1990s/early 2000s. It would have been hard to screw that up with the players of that era on board.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Point well made, but we don't pluck coaches from coaching Penrith 3rd Grade either. Coaching a Super rugby team is usually a pre-requisite for the Wallaby/All Black/Boks job.
Yep, no doubt about that. My point was that he seemed to be reasoning that Link was a better coach than Deans simply because he came up with successful tactics at Super Rugby level.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Jake White did well without coaching a Super Rugby team before guiding the Boks to win RWC 2007. Now rectifying that with the Brumbies before another likely national appointment.

Like being coach of the Australian cricket team in the late 1990s/early 2000s. It would have been hard to screw that up with the players of that era on board.
Greg smith was well on the way to screwing it up, if you recall!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I have to disagree with this comment BH. Home ground is more than the number of fans at the venue. It's more than how loud the crowd gets during the game. Its about defending your turf. About not being beaten within the sound of your own church bells, as the Spiro tells me the French say. About never giving up in your own yard. Its about pride. Pride in yourselves, pride in your jersey, and pride in never losing at home.

That and not having to sit on a plane all day ruining your preparation.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was one of those who thought the appointment of Deans was a good call. I have since changed my tune and can't wait to see the back of him, so much so, there is a part of me hoping the Wallabies cop a trouncing or two, to speed up his removal.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At the time I agreed with his appointment as there was no one else that had the right credentials, however now I have changed my mind and we do have a option in Link.
His match day selection has been woeful over the last 2 years and it is time for him to go.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm worried about the anointment of Link. I don't like anointing, full stop;
a. it's hard to spell
b. he did shite at the tahs, got fired and then turned things around after and they got into the finals and then got slaughtered (chip shoulder thung)
c. he went to the reds (after a world tour of disappointment) with a white canvas, it'd been gutted and he'll never get something as clean as that to work with at the wabs, with jon hanging around ... unless we lose lose lose lose lose lose ( i think we are about here) lose lose lose lose lose lose (this'll be after the rc*2 and lions tour) and do any us want to see that????
d. something about my penis, I'd best keep to myself

On deans, I can't write it here, or there

p.s love having bb in

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm worried about the anointment of Link. I don't like anointing, full stop;
b. he did shite at the tahs, got fired and then turned things around after and they got into the finals and then got slaughtered (chip shoulder thung)
c. he went to the reds (after a world tour of disappointment) with a white canvas, it'd been gutted and he'll never get something as clean as that to work with at the wabs, with jon hanging around.

p.s love having bb in

Ewan took the Tahs to two finals and one semi in five years. In a 12/14 team comp that's a record only beaten by the all-conquering Crusaders.
He then took the Reds to an elimination final and a grand final win in three years. Most coaches would kill for such a record.
There's a quote around about the victors being able to rewrite history to whatever they want it to be. You must be a victor.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
He must go now. He had his chance & he failed he should have been shipped after the RWC.

This latest Wallaby 22 he's announced is proof that he is only getting worse.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
On the basis of his performance as the Wallabies Head Coach, Deans should be replaced asap.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
While I no longer support Deans' position, I also believe there is a big issue with the influence of the money men at the ARU. I know for a fact that the selectors are under instructions/pressure to ensure their 30 man squads are selected from players that already have ARU contracts. This could explain some of the squad selections that we have seen over the last few years (where form super players have missed out).

The ARU needs to alter their contracting arrangements further. A possibility is to remove central contracts all together, supply additional money to the franchises with requirements it is spend on Australian players only, and at the same time include a 'squad selection' payment plus increased game day payments. More of a pay as you perform system than we have now, and one that would not put any pressure on selectors to favour certain anointed players.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Ewan took the Tahs to two finals and one semi in five years. In a 12/14 team comp that's a record only beaten by the all-conquering Crusaders.
He then took the Reds to an elimination final and a grand final win in two years. Most coaches would kill for such a record.
There's a quote around about the victors being able to rewrite history to whatever they want it to be. You must be a victor.

I know, I was being harsh, but I really don't want Link being put on a pedal-still cause it's gonna be yanked due to how much expectations are being heaped on him. Plus he isn't going to get what he did at the reds, unless we wait for ages and I'd rather see him there now rather than later.
Not a "victor", "gutted" maybe? after those finals losses I definitely was, "we" were thrashed and the kaplan leg up for the canes into the pea soup final - or maybe it's "forget", cause that's what I'm trying to do. To make to the finals and just lose would of been okay as would of not making it to the finals but to make it and then get thrashed, I found really hard and yeah, I know, you won't find my feelings represented in Links stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.