• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Social Media Response to Wallabies Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Of course I don't. Can we please stop with the pseudoscience? I don't have any numbers, you don't have any numbers.

That we don't have thousands of outraged fans from New South Wales, the ACT, Victoria and Western Australia tells me that the 20-odd people on here who are WEALLY WEALLY unhappy and the maybe thousand-or so unhappy people on broader media outlets are probably the minority.

Seriously. Most of us wanted Quade selected. Most of us wanted Deans gone after the WC. But hey, that didn't happen and Quade might yet be selected. I'm going to get around the boys no matter who is selected. Until then I'm not going to spend my time making sure everyone knows just how unhappy I am with the ARU, it's just boring and has the only effect of bringing everyone else down.

.... You don't have the numbers and yet you know that there aren't thousands of pissed off fans in other states? You've said time and time again that you believe the social media scene is not representative of the majority opinion. So don't claim that the fact that more people haven't piped up means they aren't feeling a bit pissed with the ARU.

And again, stop portraying this as some half arsed argument that is concentrated solely on the omission of one player. Was that entire post about Quade? No. I'm WEALLY WEALLY sorry that we aren't as accepting as you are but there is more to the dissatisfaction than you are making out.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not you, but you can find posts like that in the 25 Man Squad thread, for example, and certainly all over the front page comments.
Oh! Haha! I haven't been reading the 25 Man Squad thread. It didn't seem like a place I wanted to be at. I see it only got worse? ;-) Fair call then!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Oh! Haha! I haven't been reading the 25 Man Squad thread. It didn't seem like a place I wanted to be at. I see it only got worse? ;-) Fair call then!

Wise move.

The whinge in the OP on this thread is like a best of the worst, right down to the "I'm a life-long Wallabies fan and maybe I just want them to lose so that maybe the stuff I reckon will happen." Piss off and support the Lions then, champ. I'm sure you'll get heaps cheap tickets that way.

D

daz

Time for me to add my voice to the seething masses in this thread.

I think that 4 pages of a varied combination of passionate, heated, circular, depressing, face-palming debate thus far, has been carried out with little or no direct aggression, abuse or any other rule-breaking behaviour.

Nice one team. Please carry on.

:)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So people actually still use facebook?

My nephew calls it the place where old people keep in touch with their old school friends

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whoever asks for numbers should by the first two rounds.

And to whoever said it: I'm content with the reasons Robbie gave. They're HIS reasons and he's in charge, so yeah. If he's proven wrong, he loses his job. If we lose the Lions series, I'm not about to go slitting my wrists. Its sport.

Love a good rant on social media. I work for a large company and our facebook page gets complaints, but management learned very quickly what happens when you delete them: it just escalates.

In this case, the guy has spewed a heap of shit and achieved precisely nothing.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not agreeing 100% with you, or anyone else, does not make someone a defender of the ARU or Deans. It just means they have a different opinion, to some degree. I was in favour of Cooper, for instance, but find some of the carry-on about doom and gloom hyperbolic.
That trivialises their opinion as much as any supposed labelling as "nutbag Qlders", or whatever crap was posted above. It aint all black and white, despite the posturing of a few to try and paint it so.

Of course it doesn't, however I don't consider you one of the defenders. What is your response to the below:

Is Deans doing a good job?
Is Deans the best man for the job?
Is the ARU handling the management of our game well?
Do you have the utmost respect for the work they are doing?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Is it really a heap of shit? The stuff he's saying (well some of it) has been accepted on here as fair and legitimate arguments. I honestly think its unfair to undermine the entire thing as a load of crazy talk...

In this case, the guy has spewed a heap of shit and achieved precisely nothing.

Lol like every thread we post? Does anyone think Deans actually reads this forum and takes our opinions into account? I'm here for the banter and to hear the other side of the coin knowing that my opinionated and emotionally fuelled comments will never be read by someone high up in the ARU.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think the prices are ludicrous. They are well in line with other major events that happen much more frequently than a Lions tour.

In the guy's original post he questioned whether it was fair that a fan had to save 22 hours of wages to go to two Lions test matches?

I think the answer to that is yes. This is a one in twelve year event and the demand is very high. All the tests have effectively sold out. Dribs and drabs of tickets have been put on sale but the reality is that these grounds are going to be full at the prices charged.

The average working rugby supporter saved up to buy tickets to these matches. I don't think that is an outrageous thing to make people do. People might begrudge paying that much for one evening's entertainment but at the end of the day they still do it because they realise it is such a rare event and they want to be part of it.

I think it is pretty irrelevant. Most people disagree with a few of the selections in the squad but only a few, regardless of where they are from. The majority of people move on though because at the end of the day the squad is good, the majority of the selections make sense and whinging about a couple of players in a squad of 25 achieves little.

I don't think the numbers from each team has ever been a consideration for selection and nor should it. Players should be judged on their merits. You don't try and pick a player from one team because their team is a couple of spots higher on the ladder than a player from another team that you consider a better player. It is never going to work like that.

The squad was picked now whilst the Tahs are clearly on an upward trajectory. If it had been picked 6 or 8 weeks ago I'm sure there would have been several less Waratahs in the team. It had been picked 6 or 8 weeks ago you'd have probably seen Mogg, Auelua, Smith, McCabe/Tapuai, Palmer, McMeniman and Cooper in the squad. You wouldn't have seen Fainga'a but you also wouldn't have seen Barnes, Horne, Kepu and Dennis.

Even the most angry people are only upset by Cooper missing out and a couple of borderline selections yet they are treating this situation as if it's the end of the world.

I think we've got the best squad we've had in the last few years and we'll put a strong side on the park. I'm excited for the tour to start and want to watch some rugby. I'll happily debate the merit of selections and tactics (or lack there of) until I'm blue in the face but I don't understand the point of getting so upset by one or two selections or non-selections.

You would not think it irrelevant at all of the Tahs had been top or near top for the last 4 years yet the Force kept having twice as many player picked despite being near the bottom.

The issue isn't just with this squad, it is with the fact that a lot of these players have been wrongly picked ( or had the advantage of a 50/50 call) for years and therefore are now the only choices in a big series like this because of experience.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm no longer, to the extent I ever was, a defender of Deans.
If the individual Tahs played to their potentials. or even played as well as they for the Wobbs, when playing for the Tahs you'd have no grounds for complaint.

But they haven't played to their potential, so I do have grounds for complaint?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But they haven't played to their potential, so I do have grounds for complaint?
No - because in the main they play to their potential when they play for anyone other than the Tahs.
Still: do you really think there is a ocnspiracy to not select Reds etc?
How did Deans, a kiwi, become involved in the conspiracy?

Of course it doesn't, however I don't consider you one of the defenders. What is your response to the below:

No
No
No
No

Despite all that I think we will go well against BIL.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
How many people are losing faith? Seriously, there's a minority of people who have thrown their collective toys out of the pram because of one selection.

There's a weird entitlement complex developing, where the ARU not only have a responsibility to win for us, they have a resonsibilty to do it in the way we want with the team we want. There are entirely legitimate reasons for every single one of the selections Deans has made - even if I don't agree with all of them. He had the team flying in 2010. I'm hoping he can do it again.

How do know if it is a minority (which by the way could be 49%) of supporters?

And in any case we aren't talking about an election, we are talking about losing or gaining supporters. If there is any significant number of supporters that are losing faith it should be taken seriously.

I'm guessing by your views that you don't run a business.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We are #3 in the world. I'd like to be #1, but given the limitations of the cattle, this is satisfactory.

He must be if he got reappointed. You don't just get the job just because your uncle owns the bricklaying company and your Mum pressured him into it. There is at least a process that all stakeholders must have a majority on, and that includes both the major unions at the time and all the minor ones. There is absolutely no way he could get in without most of that support. And now it will be even harder with the "minor" states given equal voting rights (which is only a positive move for the long term). You don't sit down and bitch when the skipper makes the wrong call - you throw your support behind him and try to wrest back the result.

No, and no. But that has almost always been the case in my humble opinion.

We need to start facing facts: Rugby is now #4 "winter" sport (A-League is summer but amateurs are winter) and that has been a long time coming. We must also face the fact that we peaked in the years 1998-2001, where we had some genuine legends of the game, a good coach, and an administration that grasped professionalism well before other unions world wide, and hosted the equal best RWC of the professional age (along with 2011 which I thought was immense from the Kiwis).

No matter how high it rises, rugby will keep falling down on the rampant dominance of the old boys network and the politics it likes to play. Look at the basket case the Waratahs are, when they should be dominating the entire competition much less the Australian scene. Look at how utterly flaccid Queensland Rugby was for almost a decade until McKenzie and an administrative turnaround delivered improvements and then the ultimate prize. BOTH unions have had to accept oversight and financial help from the ARU during the professional era.

Given how small our school and professional base is, we do bloody well. But overall, once the Olympic aspect of 7s ramps up, and nations start to take notice of the 15 man game, we're going to struggle. The ARU needs to keep pushing towards a workable business model in order for the game to thrive out on the field.

And I'm not sure, with the damaging back room battles, that its sustainable. Forget the Wallabies - the grass roots battle needs to be won, and you can't do that relying on the same schools network we currently have, because there is no growth. We're also going to need sustainable solutions to keep people involved in rugby, and Saturday games aren't going to cut it as the working week lengthens.

I don't have answers, but I'm not paid to think of them. I do know that stalwart entities like Subbies in Sydney need a complete re-think on the way they run competitions, and I know First Division coaches who concur.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Does this number really change though? There are always plenty of corporate types at rugby tests. I don't see why it would be anymore this time around. These tickets are generally given out to sponsors etc.

The fact that tickets are more expensive and sold out very quickly would suggest to me that more rugby types are attending. People who aren't that interested are less likely to pay the high ticket prices if they're not really interested.

Maybe part of the Tahs problem in recent years has been that despite having so many Wallabies, their weakest positions have been halfback (since Burgess left) and fly half (until Foley has hit his straps this year). The other key position where we have a strong player but he has missed plenty of games through injury in recent years is TPN at hooker.

My thoughts would be that you get more mileage from star players in certain position than you do in others. Last year the Tahs had a dominant scrum and forward pack in general but their backline couldn't score any tries so the team lost most games. You potentially have a better Super Rugby team with less Wallabies overall but more Wallabies in certain positions.

I agree that is most of the Tahs problem, in addition to coaching.

It begs the question - why does Barnes keep getting selected for the wallabies when he hasn't been able to sufficiently lead the Tahs?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It begs the question - why does Barnes keep getting selected for the wallabies when he hasn't been able to sufficiently lead the Tahs?

Here's the crux of Deans' job to try and weld the best players from 5 provinces into one national side. It isn't necessarily about how a player fares for their club/province. Its about the player fitting into what the coach wants out of his game plan within the constraints of the team he can put together.

If you want Robbie to get on here and post about the whys and wherefores of every player he selected, you're in for disappointment. I coached amateur rugby for a couple of years, and every time I expressed an opinion about a player, another coach at the club (with a lot more playing experience) contradicted me almost every time. Sometimes I was right, sometimes he was. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that is most of the Tahs problem, in addition to coaching.

Barnes has continued to play well for the Wallabies. He was one of our best throughout last year.

Like pretty much everyone I don't think he is suited to 10, even more so in Super Rugby. His game at 10 is better suited to test rugby than Super Rugby which is probably why he went alright against Wales last year and did enough for us to win the series.

I think his best position is 12 but he certainly played very well at 15 for the Wallabies last year. His positional play, work under the high ball and defence were excellent.

He was always going to get selected for the Lions Tour if he came back healthy. His second half against the Brumbies locked him into the initial 25 man squad. In a game that featured the bulk of the initial 25 man squad, Barnes came on the field at half time and was the clear difference between the two sides. It was an emphatic performance in a crucial match.

Status
Not open for further replies.