• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Things have been fairly quiet for the last few months in SIRU as clubs begin preparing for the season, but things are starting to heat up in the zone with the Cootamundra 10's played yesterday at Country Club Oval.

10 Teams were in attendance as follows: Griffith Blacks x2, Cootamundra Tricolours, Grenfell Black Panthers, CSU Reddies, Wagga Waratahs, Temora Tuskers, Young Yabbies, Wagga City and Yass Rams.

The weather was pretty warm for what was a beautiful autumn day in the Riverina and all the teams seemed to have a good hit out to blow the cobwebs out of the system.

The pool rounds were played in good spirits with some teams struggling with the heat during the day - maybe some more running is required over the next few weeks for some?

The Griffith Blacks had some good numbers over there with plenty of support shown by those in attendance, it was also great to see the formerly mighty Grenfell Black Panthers running around. CSU were able to blood some of their younger up and coming players while the Temora Tuskers had a chance to show off their international flavour in 2013.

Waratahs played in good spirits and showed off some good individual skills, the Yabbies seem to be in a similar position to 2012 but I didn't get a chance to have a decent look at them over the course of the day. Wagga City had strong support and looked to have built on their 2012 season. Cootamundra had some ups and downs but were probably focussed more on hosting than playing.

Wagga City and Yass played off in the final which really highlighted the strength of the Wagga club as they ran away 48-7 winners. I think the longer game time and previous string hit outs was just too much for the Rams as City cruised through to an easy win.

The games were played in a good spirit and probably showed all clubs where they are at versus where they need to be at this stage of the season. It was good to see so many new faces on display at most clubs. Cootamundra, Temora, City and Griffith have all recruited well over the off-season and I'm looking forward to seeing how these teams come together over the coming months.

The Yass Rams were the surprise package of the tournament with a good mix of youth and experience and some hard hitters on display. Yass #17 - Connors was a standout in all games on the day and will be a handful if he continues with the Rams in the Monaro competition in 2013.
No Tumut Bulls?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Tumut had their 30th Anniversary celebrations in Tumut on Saturday. The majority of the club were involved in setting that up. My mail says they had approx 220 people in attendance with Owen Finegan a real highlight as guest speaker.
I googled them when I saw your post just tom make sure they were still around, noted that event and joined some dots.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
2013 SIRU Season Preview:

Bonjour, Bula Bula – There is a strong international flavour in SIRU this season with some handy imports from Argentina, Fiji, France and the UK which is sensational news for this area and one that has the potential to continue bring players here in the long term. My apologies for the briefness of this season preview, I've just been too busy to collate all the information on all the clubs.

2013 Draw is HERE

Some brief notes on the SIRU clubs in no particular order.

Albury – Big news for the Steamers is that Nathan Bright is back again for one last tilt at the title. Bright has been a lynchpin for the Steamers for a number of seasons now and is looking for another “one last hurrah” in 2013. The Steamers have been building quietly down on the border and will be happy to have the likes of James “House” Kora back on the park although losing Justin Wheatley will hurt them.

Aggies – Looking like the strongest club in terms of player numbers, they have lost a few regular first graders but also picked up some red blooded players. The 2012 Premiers have been playing a lot of rugby outside the zone but may find themselves off to a slow start to the season.

City – Lose a few big boppers, gain a few big boppers. Some Kiwi influence will assist, also Joe Tora’s nephew has arrived from Fiji. Big news for the Boiled Lollies though is the confirmation that 2012 Bill Castle winner Hamish Wrafter is staying in town for the rest of the year.

Tahs – Lose Xavier Chigwidden and Pat Barrett to AFL. Big losses as far as local talent goes. New coach Hugh Palmer will have his work cut out for himself at his old club with plenty of new faces around and some reasonable rebuilding to attempt in his first year as coach. I wonder what the impact of the Junee Rams will have on the Tahs – losing those regular third graders will effect 2nd grade which will effect 1st grade in some way.

Griffith – Gain a few handy players, the return of Lee Kimball to the coaching fold has already rung in some good changes at the club. Griffith will need a number of interpreters this year with a Frenchman, Argentinian and some island flavour right through the, club communication may be an issue for them this season!

Temora – Good news coming out of Temora is that they have secured the three Fijian boys that played for the Tuskers in 2012 plus a handy 5/8 and two Frenchmen in the centres. Positive vibes coming out of Temora this season both on field and off field which is great news for the competition as they were competitive last year but will be in a position to give some teams a real scare and these guys look like they will play Premier Division.

Young – Have been pretty quiet so far and don’t look like they have picked up too many new players this year. I would expect a spirited contest from the Yabbies but playing with the bigger teams may be a stretch too far.

Coota – Gain two handy Frenchmen at breakaway and fullback, although their new fullback has seen more of the emergency ward than he has of the country side. New coach Andrew Glover may inject some drive into the Tri-Colours but we’ll wait and see.

Tumut – 30th year anniversary this year for the Bulls which will no doubt flush some older faces out of the woodwork however depth may be a problem this year.

Leeton – Have had a handy forward pack in recent years but haven’t had the cattle out wide to really challenge teams in this area. The signing of two Poms to the Phantoms this year will improve their chances there as these guys have some pedigree and are mates with Hamish Wrafter at Wagga City. If they are as handy as Hamish, they will really improve the Phantoms chances.

CSU – Have had good numbers at their pre-season training which is great news, quality may be an issue for the Reddies, but you never know who will show up at the uni and if they have a solid nucleus of players they may be building this year.

2013 will also see the inclusion of the Deniliquin Drovers in 2nd Grade, the Junee Rams and RARC in 3rd Grade. I have only previewed the 1st Grade clubs. If you've got mail on these or any other club, please post it here!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU ROUND ONE PREVIEW

So this weekend sees the 2013 season finally get underway unless you are from Griffith or Coota who played last weekend. My rugby withdrawal symptoms are slowly easing. Trial games are ok, but competition matches are better.

Waratahs v CSU
This game will be interesting. Both sides have lost some key members of their teams and are both starting to rebuild their clubs in a way. Waratahs have been talked down all pre-season by all and sundry and shocked everyone to make the final of the SIRU KO last week and hold City to 7 points in that match. I wonder if that will give the Tahs a confidence boost as they lead into this match. CSU have had a good quantity of players at their pre-season and this is their first fair dinkum crack at the season, I’m looking forward to it.

Temora v Albury
From all reports, the Tuskers were the surprise package of the SIRU KO last weekend and will be looking to continue with that form here this weekend. Albury set a high standard in 2012 and the lights may have dimmed a little but I’m sure that the Steamers spirit will shine through.

The return of some of Apenisa Tudulu’s islander mates will hold the Tuskers in good stead and will hopefully build on the hard work that the club puts in off the field. Albury have been helped by the return of Nathan Bright, Richard Manion and James Kora to the Steamers.

This match will showcase some solid defence from both teams and will be a good standard of footy to show each club where they are at. Temora may struggle with some combinations but we’ll see how their new players gel in this match.

Deni v Young – 2nd Grade Only

Griffith v Coota – Played 6th April (41-0 to Griffith)http://www.areanews.com.au/story/1414734/a-perfect-start-for-blacks/?cs=671

Leeton v Tumut
This match will be a tough first hit out for these teams. At the end of 2012, these teams were arguably on par with each other so this match will be a good indicator of where these guys will sit during the year. Leeton have been fortunate to gain some new recruits this year and will be keen to put them to the test against a Tumut side that is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the club this season.

Ag College v Wagga City – MATCH OF THE ROUND
If you believe the hype, Wagga City are going to walk away with this match and if you believed the hype last week, Wagga City were going to walk all over the SIRU KO. Without wanting to pour cold water on the Wagga City bandwagon, it’s a long season and premierships aren’t won in April. Having said that, the City Men have been pretty impressive during the pre-season and definitely surprised some clubs last year.

Aggies are playing it cool at the moment (and if I were the reigning premiers, I would be too!) but they do have a very large playing group to draw from and have to take credit for what was a very successful 2012 season, however, this is 2013 and it’s time to aim up again. What will Aggies bring to the table in 2013? Youth, fitness and energy will be key ingredients. Moving on from the loss of Tim Corcoran and Peter Armstrong, Aggies will have to look within this season to match the lofty heights of 2012.

City have been lucky enough to add to their strengths in 2013, retaining 2012 Bill Castle Medallist Hamish Wrafter, securing Fijian Flyer Eloni Tora at 9 and Kiwi Zac Archer at 10 will hold them in good stead this season. On the other hand, Aggies are in the position of promoting from within which may allow for a smoother transition for the club.

I would expect the two forward packs to be reasonably balanced this week and it will be the backs that decide the outcome here. Aggies will be young and mobile whereas City bring a mix of experience and youth to the table. Both teams are fit and have put in solid pre-seasons to prepare for a long campaign this year.

Given the 2012 form of both sides and the changes at other clubs in the zone, some pundits are talking this up as a potential Grand Final Preview. I know, I know, I can hear you screaming at me “They haven’t even played a game yet! How can this be a Grand Final Preview?” and I’m thinking along the same lines as well. As I said earlier in this piece, it’s a long season and premierships aren’t won in April. I don’t know whether this will be a Grand Final Preview or not, but I do know that it will be a cracker of a match and I’m looking forward to a great season of rugby in SIRU.

What are your thoughts?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round One Results:

First Grade:
Griffith 41 bt Cootamundra 0
CSU 27 bt Waratahs 25
Leeton 43 bt Tumut 12
Albury 34 bt Temora 18
Ag College 27 drew Wagga City 27

2nd Grade;
Wagga ag College 34 d Wagga City 5, Leeton 12 drew with Tumut 12, Waratahs 19 d CSU 14, Albury 17 d Temora 7

3rd Grade;
Junee 27 d RARC 14, Waratahs 27 d CSU 7, Hay 50 d Griffith 7, Ag College 27 d City 7

Under 17s;
Waratahs 30 d Leeton 10, City 34 d Griffith 0

Women's 7-A-Side;
Albury 43 d Temora 0, City 20 d Ag College 5, Griffith 24 d Leeton 10

LADDERS

` SIRU 1st Grade Premiership
P W L D B BP F A Pts

Griffith 1 1 0 0 0 1 41 0 5
Leeton 1 1 0 0 0 1 43 12 5
Albury 1 1 0 0 0 1 34 18 5
CSU 1 1 0 0 0 1 27 25 5
Young 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4
Ag College 1 0 0 1 0 1 27 27 3
Wagga City 1 0 0 1 0 0 27 27 2
Waratahs 1 0 1 0 0 2 25 27 2
Temora 1 0 1 0 0 0 18 34 0
Tumut 1 0 1 0 0 0 12 43 0
Cootamundra 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 41 0

2nd Grade;
Ag College 5, Deniliquin 5, Albury 4, Waratahs 4, Griffith 4, Tumut 2, Leeton 2, Cootamundra 1, Young 1, CSU 1, Temora 0, City 0

3rd Grade;
Hay 5, Waratahs 5, Ag College (1) 5, Junee 5, Ag College (2) 0, RARC 0, City 0, CSU 0

Under 17s;
City 5, Waratahs 5, Young 0, Leeton 0, Griffith 0

Women's 7-A-Side
Albury 5, City 5, Griffith 5, CSU 0, Leeton 0, Ag College 0, Temora 0

NEXT SATURDAY
CSU v Temora, Wagga City v Wagga Waratahs, Young v Griffith, Cootamundra v Leeton, Tumut v Wagga Ag College, Albury v Deniliquin (2nd Grade only)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round Two Preview:

CSU (4) v Temora (9)

Following on from a successful first round for the Reddies, I’m sure they will be keen to bag a win this week. From all reports the Tuskers were well in the hunt until the last 15mins of the match against Albury last week which is a positive sign for them (and the competition) and will give the Tuskers a boost for this match. Apparently there were some unavailability’s last week for the Tuskers in their forward pack which saw some issues at the set piece. If the Tuskers can eliminate these issues, they will put themselves in a good position for this match. The strengths of the CSU team have been their speed out wide and I’m sure they will be keen to use this to their advantage against the Tuskers.

City (7) v Waratahs (8) – MATCH OF THE ROUND

This match is the local derby for the round and will be one to keep an eye on for sure. Tahs were pipped at the post last week by a determined Reddies outfit who ran away with the points in the end. A similar display against City this week will see the Tahs on the wrong end of the spectrum but I’m sure that Coach Hugh Palmer has his troops charged for this match.

City played well for the first half and in patches against Ag College last week and will be looking to build on that performance. Their outside backs were in good form and will be hard to keep a lid on if they can maintain pressure for 80 mins. Waratahs will be keen to keep some heat on these guys through their mobile backrow but they will need to be on their toes.

City may have the edge in the set piece with a larger forward pack and experience on their side but time will tell what comes of this. All in all, this is going to be a competitive match and one that carries a lot of interest in the zone, particularly given that City are on the rise and Tahs may be waning a little.

Albury v Deniliquin – 2nd Grade only

Young (5) v Griffith (1)

The Blacks will be keen to continue with their winning ways this week as they head to Cranfield Oval to take on the Yabbies. Young have probably not had the pre-season they would have liked this year but will stand up to the Griffith Blacks this week. Traditionally, Griffith don’t travel very well, but this is something that Coach Lee Kimball has been working on with the Blacks so it will be interesting to see how they show up at Young this week.

Coota (11) v Leeton (2)

This is going to be a solid hitout for both teams here. Leeton have had a handy forward pack for a long time now and have been able to add to their strengths by securing some international flavour in the backs. Coota have been in a similar position where they have plenty of experience up front and have needed some extra spark out wider. Both teams have been able to recruit some flyers out wide so hopefully we’ll see some good running rugby at Country Club Oval this week.

Tumut (10) v Ag College (6)

Aggies will be looking to get on the front foot after their bonus point draw over City last week which should be sending alarm bells ringing up in the hills. Tumut are solid in the forwards but may not have the fitness to last out 80mins against the reigning premiers this week. Aggies were probably slow to start last week, but once they were able to start controlling the game a little more, they showed more confidence as the game went on.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round Two Scores:

First Grade:
Waratahs 39 bt City 38
Griffith 50 bt Young 7
Ag College 52 bt Tumut 0
Coota 27 bt Leeton 19
CSU 28 bt Temora 27

2nd Grade;
Wagga City 33 d Waratahs 5, Ag College 26 d Tumut 12, Temora 19 d CSU 7, Deniliquin 29 d Albury 25, Griffith 29 d Young 25, Cootamundra 10 d Leeton 3

3rd Grade;
Hay 17 d RARC 15, Waratahs 33 d City 5, Junee 43 d Albury 0

Under 17s;
Waratahs 20 d City 11, Young 30 d Griffith 0.

Women's;
CSU 12 d Temora 10

Next Saturday (Round 3);
Temora v Wagga Waratahs, Griffith v Albury, Leeton v Young, Wagga Ag College v Tumut, Wagga City v Tumut, Deniliquin v CSU (2nd Grade only)

Attachments

• Book1.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 293

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round Three Preview

Deniliquin v CSU (2) – 2nd Grade Only

Temora (10) v Waratahs (5)

This match could potentially come back to haunt the loser later in the season. Temora have been very close in their last two encounters during the regular season and Tahs have been a lot stronger than many pundits gave them credit for early in the year. For me, this match will come down to how the Waratahs forwards and Temora backs imprint themselves on the game.

Griffith (1) v Albury (3) – Match of the round

The Blacks played up tempo rugby against the Yabbies last week but may find that style of play difficult to maintain against the 2012 bridesmaids this week. Griffith tend not to travel too well and will be happy to be back in the MIA this week as they take on one of the heavyweights of the competition this week.

Albury can find themselves in a similar situation as Albury when they are on the road and are indeed in a similar situation this week as they forfeited their third grade fixture to the Blacks. This could be an ominous sign for the Steamers as there are sure to be plenty of players keen for a run at the Coro Club this weekend!

The class of the Albury forward pack will be on display this week and Griffith #8 Leon Tiere will need to be on his toes against his towering opposite number Nathan Bright. Tiere played well against the Yabbies last week but will need all 8 of his forwards to rally around him this week.

The Steamers appear to have gone back to the future a little with evergreen centre Ben Alexander having a run for them after a lengthy layoff. Albury will also welcome the starch offered by scrappy #9 Sandy Middleton against the Blacks. For the Blacks, Enoch Tia will surely be a spearhead for them in the centres and will be leading things for them from that area of the field.

This is the litmus test that the much-hyped Griffith Blacks need to assess their season and is one that I’m sure they will be amped for as will the Steamers.

Leeton (6) v Young (9)

The big improvers of 2013 appear to be the Leeton Phantoms with some new blood in the backline adding to the power of their established forward pack. The Yabbies are still building for the season so far however are keen to work on some combinations with their younger players early in the piece.

Ag College (4) v Coota (7)

This will be a tough day out for the Cootamundra Tri-Colours, although the Ag College boys have some guys coming back through the grades due to personal commitments I would expect some fireworks from the two forward packs in this match.

City (8) v Tumut (11)

This match will be a tough battle in the forwards and Tumut may need to work on their service from Hooker-come-Halfback Tim Graham unless they can use him as more of a running halfback, their width may struggle. City will be looking to complete an 80min performance this week as they welcome back some key players from early and pre-season injuries. City were served well by goal kicker and flying winger John Punch last week and will be looking to allow him to run wild out wide if given the chance.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Round Three Results:

First Grade:

Temora 32 bt Waratahs 13
Leeton 79 bt Young 0
Albury 43 bt Griffith 18
City 71 bt Tumut 10
Ag College 29 bt Coota 0

2nd Grade;
Ag College 38 d Cootamundra 7, Waratahs 32 d Temora 7, City 28 d Tumut 5, Young 26 d Leeton 19, Deniliquin 31 d CSU 14

3rd Grade;
Griffith 30 d Albury 0, RARC 32 d City 17, Ag College (1) 19 d Ag College (2) 17

Under 17s;
Leeton 55 d Young 7

Women's 7-A-Side
Griffith 12 d Albury 5

Next Saturday- Round 4;
CSU v Griffith, Temora v Wagga City, Albury v Leeton, Young v Ag College, Cootamundra v Tumut, Waratahs v Deniliquin

Phantom blogger

Frank Row (1)
Seems to me that every club is trying to buy a premiership except for young. Who are bringing there past juniors through. How long will all the overseas players stick around for when times get tough??

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Phantom blogger How's Dianna?

Whilst I don't agree with buying players or paying them to play, I think the clubs that use their networks and contacts to attract players are taking positive steps to enhance their clubs. There are players from O/S who are playing in SIRU at present that have played last season, travelled around Australia over Summer, enjoyed Sydney and Melbourne, then come back to the club they were playing for last year to have another crack at the competition.

Surely this is an enhancement to the competition? It's a win win, the club gets a handy player, the player gets to experience different parts of Australia and will take home a positive experience that will hopefully benefit the club and in turn the competition.

The Yabbies have had a very strong junior club that has been well run from within the club by a core group, maybe it is time to look outside the box a little? I'm sure there would be farmer's who could offer accommodation, work and a vehicle to the right person, maybe this is something to look at?

Thoughts anyone?

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
some o/s players are good for the zone, others are just tools but you get that any where.

Hard to say Young are the only ones not 'buying' the comp, would only have to look as far as the students in both teams to see no one is paid and all rumours as there is with all teams.

Will be interesting to see how the students and city will go this week with a major race carnival on the Friday, im sure the waratahs are loving the draw right at the moment.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Everyone would prefer to play with juniors that have come through their ranks, but the reality is (at least for Albury) that there are not the numbers in junior rugby to support a club solely on locally raised talent. As such, the club is always looking to students, teachers, police, army etc and any other transient source of players that can boost numbers. They do have a regular influx of overseas players, some who work out and some who don't. At the end of the day no players are paid and the club tends to benefit from the skill, knowledge passion that most new players bring to the club.

As for this year the Steamers are looking pretty good, I know the coaching staff are pretty ebullient about where they are at the moment, however I suspect the club will actually get stronger through the year as it adapts to the new coaching regime. The players are pretty positive and have developed a good approach to the game both on and off the field. Of course, this all depends on a few key players not sustaining long term injuries. :)

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
How did the Steamers pull up after Griffith namtrak?

Pretty solid, no complaints that I know of. They were missing a few players and I understand they will be coming back through 2nd grade - which is always a good sign. The ex-tahs? half back looks to have a decent combination with Richie Manion.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Pretty solid, no complaints that I know of. They were missing a few players and I understand they will be coming back through 2nd grade - which is always a good sign. The ex-tahs? half back looks to have a decent combination with Richie Manion.

Sandy Middleton. He may even have played some rugby with/against Richie elsewhere?

Phantom blogger

Frank Row (1)
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the odd o/s players here and there. But the amount that are running around in the comp, probably didnt stumble into the clubs from travelling around country nsw. They would of been recruited with incentives.

On another topic, why don't they bring in colts? (under 20's) like most of the other zones.
Surely that would help retain juniors that finish playing u17's and are worried to step up and play seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.