• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round 6 Preview
Some pundits already have Albury’s name on the Walsh and Blair Cup but I don’t see the competition being that wide open – Albury played well last weekend, but as namtrak posted recently, the same thing happened last year. In some respects it’s difficult for teams to work on their combinations for the first half of the competition, but the handy teams always seem to rise to the top as they work towards the pointy end of the season. Essentially, this is the halfway mark of the first round of the competition and from what I’ve seen there is a lot of room for movement out there with potentially 7-8 teams vying for a spot in the top 6. The experts will tell you that 5 wins is the magic number to play Premier Division, but I think this season will show that the bonus points will really come into play this year.

CSU (2) v Ag College (4) – Match of the Round
Always a highlight of the season on campus, this match will be very interesting this year as I doubt that even the most Red-blooded supporter would have tipped that CSU would be on top of the ladder for this clash, but that’s footy isn’t it. Surprise package is definitely the word that springs to mind with regards to CSU but from all reports they have been working really well together as a team and I think that’s important for any club.

Aggies will be smarting from a very unflattering score line last weekend and will surely be out to make amends this weekend. I wonder what impact the loss of Jack Burey will have on the boys in bottle green? Will Dan Moloney slot in at #10? Will the evergreen Paul Hood keep on keeping on? Who will contain CSU Flyer Brett Wendt?

I’m sure Richard Turnbull will have highlighted the areas of the game that his players need to improve on and will be keeping a close eye on these areas this week. Mick Wakeling on the other hand is probably asking for more of the same from his players who have really shown the competition to pay them respect or pay the price.

This match will be a tactical battle as both teams attempt to play to their strengths – CSU playing that long kicking game, defending strongly and counter attacking when the opportunity arises while Aggies will be keen to play field position and allow their larger forward pack to gain an upper hand wherever possible.

Waratahs (7) v Leeton (6)
After travelling to the MIA last weekend for no reward, the Tahs host Leeton this weekend at Conolly Park. Leeton have got themselves off to a solid start to the season and will not lay down easily in this match and will be looking to their key backline players to continue with their recent form. Waratahs seem to be off to a slow start to the season this year and Coach Hugh Palmer will be keen to get their season back on track this weekend against the Phantoms.

Temora (8) v Griffith (5)
This will be a tough match. Both these teams have some solid defenders in their ranks and revel in the tough stuff. Griffith made the most of their opportunities against Tahs last week and were well served by some strong ball running as a team. Temora will probably be refreshed after having the week off in First Grade and will no doubt be keen as mustard to get into this match as they continue to assert themselves within the competition.

Deniliquin v Wagga City (3) – 2nd Grade Only

Albury (1) v Tumut (10)
Was that Justin Wheatley I saw in the Daily Advertiser on Monday? I thought he’d retired. . .

My mail says that Richard Manion had a blinder last week and he played a big role in how Albury steamrolled Aggies. The Bulls will be happy with their first win of the season in what was a high scoring affair last weekend but will need to focus on their defence against the Steamers in his one.

Young (11) v Cootamundra (9)
Young proved that they have the ability to score points last week and will be hoping to continue on with this form – the big question for the Yabbies will be where are Aaron Seaman and Hugh McAlister? The Tri-Colours were outplayed by City last weekend and will need to shake that match from their psyche this weekend.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
No wonder people say "you're a long time retired" there's 3-5yrs of players careers they are 'Retired' heck look at leetons Carl King many would say he's retired but has been playing still since i was a boy.

No one is ever seriously retired.

In other news round 6 sees the last round for players to press their claims for a rep jersey, with nominations coming in hard and fast would any like to name some:
  • positions players have mortgages on ?
  • any bolters?
  • good honest toilers that wont cut the mustard?
  • potential Captains?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round 6 Results

First Grade:
CSU 24 bt Ag College 20
Albury 55 bt Tumut 7
Cootamundra 52 bt Young 0
Waratahs 41 bt Leeton 7
Temora 37 bt Griffith 19

This season is anyone's guess, the Premier Division is wide open.

2nd Grade;
Waratahs 45 d Leeton 5, Griffith 22 d Temora 12, Ag College 15 d CSU 14, City 29 d Deniliquin 25, Young 19 d Coota 12, Albury 38 d Tumut 12

3rd Grade;
Wagga Ag College (2) 36 d City 17, CSU 12 d Ag College (1) 0

Under 17s;
Waratahs 22 d Leeton 19, Young 48 d Griffith 5,

Women's;
Griffith 17 d Temora 7, CSU 44 d Ag College 0

Next Saturday- Round 7
Wagga Ag College v Wagga Waratahs, Tumut v CSU, Wagga City v Young, Cootamundra v Albury, Leeton v Temora, Griffith v Deniliquin (2nd Grade only)

Attachments

• SIRU Round 6 Ladders.pdf
    207.7 KB · Views: 389

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hey guys - any word on the Wagga Wagga Provincial rep comp on the 8th of June - how many days is the comp? which teams compete and do players get selected for the Brumbies Provincial side from this comp?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
No.8 The Brumbies Provincial Championships will be held in Bateman's Bay this year with SIRU, Monaro and Far South Coast the teams that compete in this tournament. Without seeing a draw for the competition, usually there is a game each day of the Long Weekend with the host team playing on day one and day three.

I believe SIRU will be announcing their squad this week as their first training session is down for this Friday night, haven't heard anything about Monaro or FSC though mate.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Siru Rep Team Named this morning:

Stu Garrett*, Tom Dunstan, James Whiteley, James Grimmett, Bart Whiteley, Ben Leaper, C Jenkins (Wagga Ag. College), Jock Munro, (Wagga Waratahs), Sterling Ross, Brett Wendt*, Mitch Fealy (CSU), Scott Meakins*, Ash Lefevre*, Blake Le Cornu* (Albury),) Tim Graham* (Tumut) Eddie Lagaali*, John Blackmore*, Zac Archer* ,Hamish Wrafter, Rambo Lagaali* (Wagga City), Luke Cooke*, Matthias Alard*(Leeton), Alex Hardie (Cootamundra)

* Uncapped players

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No.8 The Brumbies Provincial Championships will be held in Bateman's Bay this year with SIRU, Monaro and Far South Coast the teams that compete in this tournament. Without seeing a draw for the competition, usually there is a game each day of the Long Weekend with the host team playing on day one and day three.

I believe SIRU will be announcing their squad this week as their first training session is down for this Friday night, haven't heard anything about Monaro or FSC though mate.

Hey mate thanks for that! Hopefully we will have the team lists up soon..

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round 7 Preview

Tumut (10) v CSU (2)
My scouts on the border tell me that Tumut gave it their all last week and they will be attempting to do the same this week at Jarrah Park in Tumut against the competition surprise packet. Every pundit in the zone thought that CSU would be playing First Division this year but from all reports they deserve their dues for what appears to be a great team effort. No doubt CSU will be heading to Jarrah Park with the goal of maintaining their undefeated start to the season.

Ag College (4) v Waratahs (5) – MATCH OF THE ROUND
In previous years, these two clubs have been the standouts of the zone and they have played some almighty matches against each other.

2013 is a different season and there are a number of new faces at each club. Neither Aggies or Tahs have seemed to hit their straps with the consistency that they have shown in previous seasons. The new faces at each club is really positive to see, but it looks like they are taking some time to gel with each other.

This match is a litmus test for these teams and will be important to see where they sit in the mix for the pointy end of the season. Both clubs have the cattle to be competitive with the big players in the competition, they probably just need to work on their combinations in order to play the style of footy that they want to.

Both teams have some very handy footy players in their ranks, particularly in the forwards. Jack Eaglesham appears to be a handy get for Waratahs and will have his work cut out for him against Dave Armstrong for Aggies. The support roles that each backrow plays will really have a big impact on this match. Another match up that will be interesting to watch will be the Hobbs brothers at #9 for Tahs and #13 for Aggies.

There will be no love lost in this match and these guys will make each other work hard for a full 80mins in what should be a good display of footy this weekend.

Leeton (9) v Temora (6)
Leeton made some good line breaks against Tahs last week but didn’t have the support structures in place to back them up. Playing against a strong defensive side like Temora, they may these linebreaks a bit tougher this week. Temora are playing a more expansive brand of footy this season due to some key recruitment which appears to be paying dividends for them. With the mid table really starting to get competitive this is a must win for both teams as they progress through the season.

Griffith (8) v Deniliquin – 2nd Grade Only

Cootamundra (7) v Albury (1)
Cootamundra will need to be on top of their game this week as they take on the high-flying Steamers at Country Club Oval. The Steamers have really been on a roll this season, bagging bonus point wins in every match. Alex Hardie and Ash Lefevre will be two key players for their respective teams in this clash.

Wagga City (3) v Young (11)
Wagga City will be looking to cement their position in the Premier Division this weekend but will need to keep their wits about them as the Yabbies have seen the return of their big guns and will be starting to work on some more settled combinations this week.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Steamers have been working their bench and 2nd graders a lot harder this year than in previous years. Represents a difference in coaching styles between Don Cameron and Dave Stuart. Whilst Don had faith in best 15 week in week out, Dave views any player in the club as a potential first grader. I think this long term view will play big dividends later in the season for not only first grade but also the lower Steamer grades.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round Seven Results:

FIRST GRADE:

Waratahs 34 bt Aggies 8
Leeton 23 bt Temora 15
City 55 bt Young 3
CSU 33 bt Tumut 15
Albury 33 bt Coota 0

2nd Grade;
CSU 14 d Tumut 10, Wagga Ag College 19 d Wagga Waratahs 7, Leeton 34 d Temora 26, Albury 24 d Cootamundra 19, Wagga City 35 d Young 5

3rd Grade;
Wagga Ag College (1) 30 d Waratahs 10, RARC 35 d Ag College (2) 17

Under 17s;
City 38 d Young 5, Leeton 42 d Griffith 31,

Women's;
Leeton 31 d Temora 0, City 12 d Ag College 10

Next Saturday- Round 8
Griffith v Wagga City, CSU v Cootamundra, Waratahs v Tumut, Temora v Wagga Ag College, Albury v Young, Leeton v Deniliquin (2nd Grade only)

Attachments

• Book1.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 282

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I will mark this down as a really important win for the Steamers. They were 4 or 5 short, travelled to Coota and still won both grades. I think they will take a lot from this one. Regardless of how they go in the rest of the first round.

B

ben wal

Interesting to note that Leeton took out wins in all four grades for the first time in god knows how long, good news coming out of the MIA.

Albury definitely still the team to beat so far, will be a cracker of a game when they play CSU. One of the more even competitions in recent years looks to shape up as a really interesting one. Can't wait for the split

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting to note that Leeton took out wins in all four grades for the first time in god knows how long, good news coming out of the MIA.
It would have been a big night down at the Wade!

Albury definitely still the team to beat so far, will be a cracker of a game when they play CSU. One of the more even competitions in recent years looks to shape up as a really interesting one. Can't wait for the split

I agree with this ben wal the competition is very close, particularly in that middle of the table bracket, the clubs at that level really need to focus over the coming weeks with only 4 rounds of the regular season to go!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round Eight Preview
Last weekend really highlighted the closeness of the competition this year, which is evidenced by the fact the from 3rd to 7th on the ladder, there are only 12 competition points separating these teams. The race for the Premier Division has never been tighter than 2013, which is great to see! This means that those teams ranked in that area of the ladder are desperate for points because every point counts, which only adds more spark to the contest.

CSU (2) v Coota (9)
Cootamundra go into this match without the services of Alex Hardie for this (and potentially a few more) match after Hardie broke his hand last week. Central to the Tri-Colour’s go-forward, Hardie will be sorely missed. CSU are really starting to string together some good footy and I think that a run in the rain this weekend will be a good test for them. The conditions this weekend will probably suit Cootamundra, but time will tell what will happen here.

Waratahs (4) v Tumut (10)
Waratahs will be buoyed by their efforts to get up over Ag College last week and will be pumped to get into this match. The Bulls have been putting together some more consistent performances in recent weeks and need to continue on this path.

Temora (8) v Ag College (5)
This match is a significant match in terms of how the table could look on Monday. Aggies have fallen into a bit of a lull in form and will find this a tough match against a determined Tuskers outfit this weekend. Temora are always a handful and never more so than at home and I think the cold wet conditions this weekend could play into their favour as they do defend very well and have the ability to deny their opposition much progress. Aggies will no doubt be keen to get their season back on track and will take no prisoners in this one.

Deniliquin v Leeton (7) – 2nd Grade Only

Griffith (6) v Wagga City (3) – MATCH OF THE ROUND
Teo Kaue is going to have a busy day tomorrow How this match plays out will determine Griffith’s season. With only three rounds remaining til the split, the Blacks need all the points they can muster in this match if they are a chance of making the Premier Division. City will have a different but no less important motivation tomorrow - they will be keen to stay in contact with the high flying CSU and Albury at the top of the ladder.

The front row of this match will be central to how the game plays out. Wagga City are blessed with some pretty handy scrummagers in Chris and Jarrod Bryant and they will make a mark tomorrow. These guys tend to go unnoticed on the field, but their efforts in the tight stuff are very worthy. Griffith on the other hand, are arguably stronger in the 2nd row and back row positions.

Another good match up in this game will be the ever young Drew Braithwaite and Jason Lagaali at 15 for their respective teams. The kicking prowess of these two players could be a key part of this match. Still in the backs, Hamish Wrafter and Tom Russell at 5/8 will be another good showdown.

Albury (1) v Young (11)
Life doesn’t get any easier for the Yabbies this weekend.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
On another note, SIRU can now boast a(nother?) state of origin player! Andrew Fifita who previously played for Griffith has been named on the bench for NSW

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hey yourmatesam (seems funny writing that lol) - you would prob know this - where is the Brumbies Provincial game being played this year and agasint who?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
No.8 The Brumbies Provincial Tournament will be played over the June Long Weekend in Bateman's Bay. I haven't heard too much about the Brumbies Provincial Team v Australian Police match - usually it is played at Canberra Stadium a month or so after the long weekend. I'll update the thread when I know what's happening here mate.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No.8 The Brumbies Provincial Tournament will be played over the June Long Weekend in Bateman's Bay. I haven't heard too much about the Brumbies Provincial Team v Australian Police match - usually it is played at Canberra Stadium a month or so after the long weekend. I'll update the thread when I know what's happening here mate.

I heard something about it being the curtin raiser to the Lions V Brumbies game - that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.