• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Eight Preview:
Another exciting round of rugby this weekend across the region, with Friday night’s fixture at Leeton tipped as Match of the Round. With only two rounds until the Brumbies Provincial Championships in Bateman's Bay, any players interested in playing rep footy only have a couple of weeks to impress the selectors before the tournament.

Leeton (3) v Ag College (4) – Match of the Round
Friday night under lights at Leeton No1 Oval is the venue for this rematch. These two teams played out a draw in Round One of the competition and I reckon this game has potential to be a tightly contested affair this round as well.

Leeton have played some pretty bruising games in recent weeks against Waratahs and Tumut respectively and by all accounts had opportunities to win both games. At home, they will be tough to get past, however I have been hearing some positive words from different sources about Aggies and their continued commitment to each other.

Ag College players like Gabe Brown and Mike “Magic” Van Diggelen will need to step up their game this week against a Phantoms outfit who know how to knock a team about. Leeton have tended towards a physical style in recent matches and I would expect them to use this strategy again tonight.

The Phantoms have a reputation as being very passionate about the game, when they can strike the balance between passion and control, they will be dangerous. There are some handy footballers in the Phantoms lineup, if these guys get the opportunity to run from a solid platform, watch out.

Tumut (2) v Albury (7)
A tough road trip for the Steamers here no doubt. The Bulls will be keen to stamp their authority on the 2015 Premiers at Jarrah Park this weekend and are likely to be back at full-strength for this match.

The Steamers on the other hand are probably doing a bit of soul-searching at this stage of the season but will be keen to show the competition that they can compete with the higher ranked teams.

CSU (8) v Griffith (6)
A number of admirable losses in recent weeks for the Reddies is something that the team are keen to turn around and would love nothing more than to do so in this match.

The Blacks have proven to be a bit of a surprise package since new coach Aled Francis has come on board, I wonder if Aled will be able to bring all the troops to Wagga this week? I was in Griffith recently and the Blacks had enough players in the wings to play an internal 3rd Grade match. They need to transfer this enthusiasm onto the road as well if they are going to make the finals in 2016.

Waratahs (1) v City (5)
Although Wagga City are in 5th position on the ladder, they are only there based on points differential. City actually have more bonus points than Ag College after 7 rounds of the competition and are capable of leap-frogging a few teams on the ladder depending on some results.

Waratahs will come into this match without two strike weapons in Angus Le Lievre and Sam Hobbs, however will blood some new talent at halfback with Tom Hallam having a run this weekend. For those older heads on here, you may remember or have played against Matt Hallam who was a very handy halfback in his day, some good pedigree there for Tom.

Wagga City are on a bit of a roll at the moment and are starting to put some good systems in place which are getting some runs on the board for them. This weekend will be a bigger challenge though than what they’ve faced in recent weeks and their new-found “ball in hand” game plan will be tested in this game. Jesse Uhr has been playing well for the Boiled Lollies recently, with his broken running play a highlight.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016- Round 8 scores - Leeton 22 d Aggies 0, Tumut 85 d Albury 5, Griffith 29 d CSU 5, Waratahs 40 d City 28

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Wagga City tested Waratahs in patches yesterday, but the cream rose to the top in the end. City have turned a corner though it seems. Waratahs depth is incredibly strong and their two's would be in the top 4 if they played in the First Grade comp!
Aggies not scoring point in their last 120 mins must be a worrying statistic for the coaching staff.
No Manion = No Albury. Steamers officials probably filing work Visa applications for the bulk of their 2017 squad Monday.
Heard in a conversation this morning that CSU are keen for Paul Hood (backs) & Mick Wakeling (forwards) to to take 1st grade coaching reins...For the remainder of the season. Big story.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If Waratahs 2s would be in the Top 4 that means Wagga City 2nds would be in the Top 2
City apparently gave waratahs 2nds a whooping yesterday and are hot favourites to win the Competition and are still undefeated
Bit late for changes at CSU in the coaching ranks- sounds like deck chairs on the Titanic !
The Reddies need to concentrate on beating the Steamers at Albury next saturday - they'll never get a better opportunity to win their first match of the season.
Albury is in turmoil- someone must have confiscated the Cheque Book ? - where are all their local players that should be coming thru ??
They could become the first Club ever to go from Premiers to Cellar Dwellers in 1 season.
Who knows they might get a phone call from Coota & Temora shortly to see if they want to join them in C/West

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just saw the SIRU rep team on the Website - where is Hobbs ?
Some interesting new names in the Squad - looks pretty balanced.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The 2016 SIRU Rep. squad is;
Tanian Naude, Riley Brennan, Cameron Duffy, (Wagga Ag.), James Daley, Steve Tracey, Tom Dunstan, Matt Meggison, Sam Bunny, Angus Le Lievre & Bart Whiteley (Wagga Waratahs), Aaron McDougall & Tom Boyle (Albury), Jayden Stanton (Wagga City) Chris Latu & Andrew Madden (Griffith), Bill Bevan, Dan Patu, Simon Vunilagi, Stuart Dyer & Siti Watkins (Leeton ), Tino Manualevo, Dan Dowson & Mitch Ivill (Tumut), Giles Cunningham (Hay)

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I heard things didn't work out too well at Coota last saturday - Big 2006 Premiership Re- Union was held at the Ground for the Coota v Condo match.
Problem was Condo forfeited on the morning of the Match
I wonder what the 2006 players thought about it all and also where Coota have ended up in the last decade.
Unfortunately these things happen but of all days

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Problem was Condo forfeited on the morning of the Match

It's a shame that that happened to those guys, probably would have made sense though to look at a game against Temora/Grenfell as a bit of a local derby. Condo is a fair trip, sowing crops, wet weather etc. It's a tough time of year to coordinate these things.

Probably a good excuse for the guys to head over to the Country Club for some sherberts though!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round Nine Preview:
There are some choice matches on the cards this weekend and with City and Griffith tied on competition points, these two matches could be a key to the final makeup of the Top 5. Only points differential splits the two with City ranked higher due to their stronger for and against.

Looking at these two teams in isolation, Wagga City have a better attacking record, a better defensive record and a stronger percentage ratio. I know a lot of punters have been suggesting that City are on the verge of breaking through to the top teams and the ladder probably supports that theory also.

Albury (7) v CSU (8)
The battle of the cellar dwellars at Fortress Murrayfield this weekend has the potential to be a close fought affair. I’ve seen both these teams run around this year and expect two different styles of play from each.

CSU have not been disgraced in recent weeks and were more than competitive against Griffith, however the coaching staff would be looking forward to this match and see this as a big chance for their guys. If Reddies get up here, the bus trip back from Albury will be epic!

If Dan Dowson’s words to the DA are anything to go by, the Steamers were competitive last week against Tumut, despite the margin. Coach Raynes is likely looking forward to this match as much as the Reddies guys are, particularly considering his close history with the CSU Club. I’m sure that @CoachMickR will be using shame and spite to inspire his troops into action this week!

Griffith (5) v Waratahs (1)
A tough road trip to Griffith this week for the Tahs, playing on the Blacks makeshift home ground at Jubilee Park rather than the plush surrounds of the Exies Club. Back to the old school for the Blacks as this venue was a stronghold for them during the early 2000’s.

Wagga City gave Waratahs another fright last week but weren’t able to finish the game off, or was it Waratahs that picked up the pace in the last quarter to run away with the win? Griffith at home are a different team than they are on the road and will be keen to keep building on some recent wins. The Blacks set-piece is a good starting point for them, they’ve got some strong running options with Teo Kaue at #8, their lineup has been recently buoyed by the return of the smiling assassin Mick Stalley who adds some more bulk to their tight five.

Waratahs welcomed Sean Kearns back to their ranks last week and need his support through the middle of the park to their 5/8 and In Centre combination. Euan Bonner and Tom Hobbs have been attacking really well lately, however the jury is still out on their defensive ability. No doubt that Tim Corcoran adds some more punch at the 12 position if he plays there, however he needs to keep an eye on his inside shoulder in defence – does this take away from his own defensive ability?

City (4) v Leeton (3) – Match of the Round
A big game for Wagga City at home in this match, with some punters tipping this as the “do or die” game for the Boiled Lollies. I don’t know that I subscribe to that theory at this stage of the season, but there’s no shying away from the fact that this is an important match for them later in the year.

The Phantoms held Aggies scoreless last Friday night which is a good outcome for them and will give them confidence leading into this round. If we look at the breakdown of the scoreline from last week though, Leeton went into halftime at 19-0 but only managed a PK in the remaining 40mins of footy. I wasn’t at that game, but there’s got to be something in that last 40mins that will have Coach Seru Rogo and his boys doing some soul searching this week.

Broken play has been where Wagga City have been most dangerous in recent weeks with some of their younger players bringing some genuinely exciting breaks here. The people I’ve been speaking to tell me that Jayden Stanton is really stepping up to lead these younger players and is enjoying his time with the Blue and Whites.

Leeton have a few handy players in their ranks, particularly through the centres. Key players like Stuart Dyer will want to stamp their authority on this game against a plucky but inexperienced halfback for Wagga City.

City have been well served by their imported front row, however this week will be a decent test for them against the Leeton front row including Dan Patu and Solo Fili. Set pieces will be important in setting a strong platform for both teams in what will be some slippery conditions at Conolly Park tomorrow.

Ag College (6) v Tumut (2)
Following on from last week’s bout against the Phantoms, things don’t get any easier for the students this week might be a bigger test for the students as they take on the rampaging Bulls at Beres Ellwood Oval.
With big names Tom “I believe I can fly” Macleay and Dirk “Magic Mike” Diggler out this week, I hear there are also question marks over Tanian “Do you even squat bro” Naude following a recent gym session. These guys have been a backbone for the Aggies forward pack this year and will be sorely missed if all are unavailable this week.

The Bulls are on a bit of a roll at this stage of the season and are starting to string some strong performances together. They’ll be confident coming into this match that they have the ability to get up here, however they must also be wary of a spirited Ag College team playing on their home patch.

I reckon the rain overnight will have a role to play in this game, Beres Ellwood doesn’t traditionally hold up too well to wet weather and following on from last weekend, has the potential to be pretty slippery at the southern end of the ground particularly.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I have noticed that City haven't named Seth Stoltenberg in their team all year? Is he currently injured?

Seth is having a year off due to some ongoing concussion issues. He is still very much involved with City through the Womens 7's program and is a valued part of the club - both as a coach and socially!
He has also been doing some one on one skills with players as well as his ongoing role as SIRU development officer.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
Disappointing not to see Rory Sheard being named in the SIRU squad. I would have thought he deserved a spot with the quality of rugby he has been playing over the past couple of years.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Disappointing not to see Rory Sheard being named in the SIRU squad. I would have thought he deserved a spot with the quality of rugby he has been playing over the past couple of years.

Was he available? Remember that the players need to nominate...

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Albury (7) v CSU (8)
Steamers by 20. A fall from grace for the steamers in 2016. Bound to happen after many years at the top. Another nail in the coffin for CSU, who will need a complete over hall (and a minor miracle) if they're to remain afloat in 2017. Despite reports of 'honorable' losses, they've been no where near realistically winning.
Griffith (5) v Waratahs (1)
A tough win for the Tahs, as the Griffith lads will be much stronger at home and traditionally have more depth and enthusiasm when playing in Griffith. Waratahs by 12. Despite a loss, it might be the week the Blacks get their season on track.
City (4) v Leeton (3) – Match of the Round
I'll be in the stands for this one. City are turning the corner and Leeton are on the rise. A test for City of they are to be considered contenders. Leeton need also to win to consolidate their position among the Alpha's. If they dont beat City, then are they just pretenders?? City by 3.
Ag College (6) v Tumut (2)
Im tipping the Aggies in a tight one, by 7. Although the lads sit 6th, they're a much better squad than that. A home game at Beres Ellwood Oval should ensure a vocal following to spur on a tight win. Aggies by 5. YourMateSam comments about the Oval are true, but thankfully in 2017, Ag College will be the only club using the facility.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2016 Round 9 scores;
Waratahs 31 d Griffith 15, Leeton 32 d City 17, Albury 39 d CSU 17, Wagga Ag 17 d Tumut 8

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
thats a good win to Aggies. Tumut led 8-0 at half time and on a ground that was very heavy you would have expected the Bulls to run away with it.
The City talk before their match was pretty loud but Leeton beta City by more than Waratahs did last Saturday.

The premiership is there for Waratahs to lose - It would be great to see Leeton in the decider this year and I reckon the rest are making up the numbers now - Tumut will be rocked by that loss yesterday but should still qualify for a 2nd or 3rd placing at the end of the year.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
So, the Brumbies Provincial Tournament is on this weekend in Bateman's Bay at Hanging Rock Oval.

While more news will follow during the week, I thought I'd have a crack at putting some names against positions. My starting players are named first with reserves to follow. The final makeup of the team will obviously depend on injuries etc and I would expect a number of players and combinations to be given some game time against FSC first up.

I hear some news that there are some ACT Premier Division players who will be making their debut for the Marlins this weekend in what can only be an attempt to assist the FSC team be a more competitive outfit. I wonder if these guys will be eligible for selection in the Brumbies Provincial Team?

From the squad that was announced last week, there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth in the second row stocks around the grounds, hence I'm tipping Dan Dowson to play in the second row this weekend but I won't be surprised if i hear that guys like Aaron MacDougall or Tanian Naude get a run in the second row either.

So - Have I got it totally wrong? What are your thoughts on the below?

1.Daley/Brown/Cunningham
2.Boyle/Dunstan
3.MacDougall/Patu
4.Meggison
5.Dowson
6.Naude
7.Bevan/Bunny
8.Latu
9.Dyer/Stanton
10.Manualevo/Stanton
11.Madden/Tracey
12.Vunilagi/Brennan/Duffy