• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Mate didn’t we have a game of rugby every week before Brumbies affiliation. I was under the impression that individual clubs sorted player insurance. What rep pathways. Even the players in this zone aren’t interested in your rep pathways. What percentage of registration fees go to ACT affiliation. I haven’t graced the stateroom at Romano’s for a SIRU AGM. Isn’t that the same establishment that is the major sponsor of the one team succeeding better than the rest. I don’t know if it’s still there but isn’t the Romanos building where the Brumbies office was for a long time. I don’t know what you mean when you say zero affiliation. Don’t we all have a common bond - we play rugby.

We had games prior. Governed by NSW rugby then. By the way, how stable is the central west competition. Really stable, never changes hey.
You talked self governance that doesn’t read NSW country, it reads independent.
RA organises insurances at a union level. Each player pays it through their fees to RA. From memory around $100 goes to RA (insurance and levies) and $50 to ACT (development)
I’d also tread carefully with the inference re Romano’s, ACT rugby and the tahs mate. Unless you’re willing to go on the record. Otherwise it just sounds like sour grapes.
The rep pathway which has seen 15+ of our players selected to play NSW country annually and 5+ of our players have been selected/poached to premier clubs in Canberra post rep football and one of our brightest was selected to the schoolboys champs via our club and rep programs. I’m again, really not sure what more you want, maybe Griffiths finest being selected for the wallabies like the good old days in the 60s. Obviously your previous moaning re rep is ignored now. Also, watch this space re rep.

Please clear it up for me. What more do you want and why is it ACT rugby’s fault

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
As far as Rep Footy is concerned the Current Model is broken and Brumbies Rugby know that but persist with the current Format
Time for SIRU to go back to Country Week and get some fair dinkum opposition

Are you sure they want to persist? Or just assuming?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The most recent SIRU Super Rugby rep came from the Griffith Juniors>ARU Talent Program (delivered in Griffith)>SIRU & ACT Age Grade Teams>Royals>Eddies>Brumbies>Auckland>NZ Maori (Robbie Abel)

Nic Henderson was no different.

I think that any player regardless of age, sex or sport (AFL/Loig/Netball/Tiddlywinks) HAS to relocate if they are going to make it in any sense. The league players do it, the AFL players do it, the basketballers, the netballers, the tennis players, the cricketers, ALL of them have to relocate.

Most recent player to relocate is Tom Hallam (Waratahs>Royals) and I'm sure there are others that have done the same. Anyone remember Ben Leaper? Max Ravouvou?

Likewise for the Women's Competition. How many of the Brumbies Women's XV are/were from the SIRU Region? I counted at least 5. Good on them, they deserve their spot in that team but if any of those players are fair dinkum about playing sport at the highest possible level, they need to move. It's a reality of life and affiliation to any governing body is not going to change that.

Corey Toole (for example) will eventually have to do the same, it might be Melbourne where a player like Corey gets a run, it might be Brisbane, it might even be Colts in Shute Shield. But the SIRU Rep Pathway can only take you to the doorstep, you need to walk through the door.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
While I support Griffith Blacks I am not on the committee and don’t talk rugby with committee members. I personally believe our SIRU rep program is inadequate. As Reasoning suggested my opinion is that we would be better served going to Country Week. The Brumbies might be great for junior SIRU development but I just don’t believe senior county zones should be tied to Super Rugby organisations. The two entities serve different purposes. Outside of Super Rugby and some Shute Shield rugby in NSW is amateur. Most players can’t leave their jobs to go and play for Royals in Canberra or 2nd grade West Harbour.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
While I support Griffith Blacks I am not on the committee and don’t talk rugby with committee members. I personally believe our SIRU rep program is inadequate. As Reasoning suggested my opinion is that we would be better served going to Country Week. The Brumbies might be great for junior SIRU development but I just don’t believe senior county zones should be tied to Super Rugby organisations. The two entities serve different purposes. Outside of Super Rugby and some Shute Shield rugby in NSW is amateur. Most players can’t leave their jobs to go and play for Royals in Canberra or 2nd grade West Harbour.

Country week isn’t what it used to be either. Couple of day carnival now.
Also, NSW country and it’s zones are directly linked to the NSW rugby and the Waratahs also?

My comment is, if you want rep to be a pathway, individual players this is, you need to move if you want to climb. Not possible if you don’t.

Alternatively you can be excited that our current pathway offers a chance to be seen and to also play the cockatoos.

You also never know what the new season may offer on a rep front. You could very well be surprised and excited by it.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Your commitment to your cause is commendable Mauler. Sounds interesting on the rep front for next season. Good luck with it.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I’m sorry Mauler but this is just what I’m talking about with the Brumbies. We’re ALL paying them money out of our regos and they’re making decisions without consultation. You are saying watch this space re rep. FB says open trial for rep. For what? Dec 15 hottest part of year. Players don’t even know what they are trialling for. Are some players in the loop? Or does any particular club have information others don’t?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I’m sorry Mauler but this is just what I’m talking about with the Brumbies. We’re ALL paying them money out of our regos and they’re making decisions without consultation. You are saying watch this space re rep. FB says open trial for rep. For what? Dec 15 hottest part of year. Players don’t even know what they are trialling for. Are some players in the loop? Or does any particular club have information others don’t?

I’d love to know why this is the Brumbies fault?
Now SIRU trying to expand their program is a bad thing. I’m starting to think perhaps your issue with the brumbies is really an issue with SIRU, it’s just easier to blame the brumbies.

I’m interested in the rational re country week. You talk pathways in your moaning yet if we simply go to country week we close our pathway. SIRU players can not be selected for higher honours through NSW country. How will this increase interest.

You’ll be disappointed to hear, I’m sure, that players are nominating and committing to that training session also.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Roll up, Roll up, Calling all SIRU Men who are interested in playing Rep Rugby in 2019.

Head on down to the below link to show your interest.

I, for one am happy to see that this sort of action is being taken by the zone now, asking player's who's keen to be a part of the rep program for 2019.

Get keen, get fit, get into it.

https://form.jotform.co/83176656703867

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
OK Mauler I’m confused. We’re talking rep here right? ACT development? Brumbies Provincial Tournament? Brumbies Provincial team? Who’s making decisions here? Siru or Brumbies? We pay levies to RA. We go to Country Week and our best players can’t progress? Is this a joke? Are we deliberately hindering progress of rugby in this country? We are asking players to participate in a trial in the middle of summer for a futuristic situation that is uncertain. Why don’t you divulge the new rep program? It seems ridiculous. Are some clubs or some players in the loop and some not? Answer some questions instead of saying I’m moaning.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
OK Mauler I’m confused. We’re talking rep here right? ACT development? Brumbies Provincial Tournament? Brumbies Provincial team? Who’s making decisions here? Siru or Brumbies? We pay levies to RA. We go to Country Week and our best players can’t progress? Is this a joke? Are we deliberately hindering progress of rugby in this country? We are asking players to participate in a trial in the middle of summer for a futuristic situation that is uncertain. Why don’t you divulge the new rep program? It seems ridiculous. Are some clubs or some players in the loop and some not? Answer some questions instead of saying I’m moaning.

You are moaning. Always do re rep.

Your issue obviously isn’t widespread among the players because they are nominating.

NSW country dictate our players can’t be selected for the NAW country side.

The brumbies decide what the provincial tournament looks like and from what I’m hearing that is to be expanded this season and include an additional team. Sounds like a good progression to me.

The provincial game against NAW country is a cracking opportunity for our players, from which there have been players spotted and poached to the John i sent cup and into brumbies programs (ACT griffins/7s)

An open training trial in December. No players have been asked to play a match. That’s an assumption you’ve made. It shows your lack of actual knowledge on the situation. We all know what they say about assumption.

All you do is moan, give alternate options without any positive reasoning. I think some research into the way other zones work and the requirements to progress through country might be a good place to start.

Again at this time SIRU are asking for players to be involved in an expanded program including trials, and opportunities to further their rep ambitions if they do so have them. Feedback has been good so far.

Again. I’d love to know why this is the brumbies fault and why you refuse to buy in?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
OK so what I've worked out now is there is no Rep Program organised as yet for 2019 ? - either it is SIRU or ACT's fault I don't really care
Have the Rep Coaches been appointed for 2019 yet anyways ?
I suppose the proof in the pudding for a December Trial will be the total numbers that turn up , particularly those players from Griffith, Leeton, Albury & Tumut
In simple terms most prospective Rep Players like to know what is organised - Players that aren't really up to Rep Standard will turn up despite no Program being arranged

PS- The John Dent Cup 1st Grade Comp is probably the equivalent of Shute Shield 3rd Grade - If you are a half decent player go to the Big Smoke in Sydney because you'll never be heard of again in Canberra - the proof of former SIRU players who went to Canberra has already been well documented by a previous post on this Forum

Keep asking Questions Paul - I don't read your comments and questioning as Moaning !!

Coaches appointed. DA and all over the news this week.
SIRU doing their best to offer opportunity.
Don’t like it jog on.
No loss

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Before I set out on my Jog - I did a bit of research
SIRU last played at Country Week in Bowral and won 2 matches but lost 1 and didn't qualify for the Caldwell Cup the following year - I think they lost to New England
The Brumbies Provincial Team (made up of probably 80% SIRU Players) now gets to play NSW Country each year which has been now going for 4 years
Can you name me the Brumbies Provincial players from those teams who have gone onto bigger and greater things in Canberra
If you can't don't worry I am sure it happened
You make a lot of Emotional Comments about Pathways, Rep opportunities etc etc but the type of Rep football you are talkilng about is in my opinion "Token Rep Football"
Rumours are now spreading about a NZ Tour for the SIRU Rep Team in 2019- Sounds great - I'm sure the players will get behind something like that

Good research on our last visit. Only thing I will add is we can’t qualify for the Caldwell cup. If we go to the country weekend again we can only play the lower tier and none of our players can be selected.
Tom Hallam, Ben leaper, Tom Dunstan, Max Ravouvou, Simon Vunilagi, Gus Le Lievre( admittedly played Shute shield prior but poached off the back of his performances in the game vs country in 2016. Ash Le Fevre.

This is a serious question. What would be real not token rep?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Probably the best response "Reasoning" in light of the earlier commentsv
I would love to be a fly on the wall at the AGM on Dec 10 when discussions centre on Women's Rugby , Referees and how the hell we might be able to get a more even Competition in 2019
Clubs need to speak their minds and not be intimidated by the Board Members and SIRU Employees
Another season like this year may see Rugby in the Zone wither on the Vine
Waratahs, Aggies & Leeton (at their best ) were good teams but the other Clubs wern't up to standard in 2018
If Tumut don't get their Kiwi fullback again in 2019 they will struggle
Curvengen coaching and playing for Wagga City is a big plus for the Boiled Lollies

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The AGM yesterday voted in a new SIRU Board
Interesting to note that the Womens Comp is changing from 7s to 10s, there could be 5 General Byes during the season and the Finals could be contested by a Top 4 instead of a Top 5 next Year
I wonder what most of the Clubs thought of these changes ?

The room was pretty quiet on the bye front. Most chat was based on competition format, rep footy, match timings and associated impacts.

It's good to see some progression on the Women's front but odd that the clubs elected not to have female representation on the board. I think diversity is important at the Board level. Just my view though...

They seem pretty reasonable changes although the 5 General Byes in a 14 Round Comp appears to be stretching things a bit

I think the aim for the additional byes is to generate interest in the Rep Program with 2x SIRU City v Country matches in there plus Brumbies Provincial and BP vs NSWC.

I understand the byes for rep footy, but one for the Bill Castle/Alicia Quirk Medal function might be pushing it. Maybe this could be an afternoon do on the Friday before the 1st Round of Finals?

Also positive to see that some strategic planning is being done to promote Senior/Junior cross-over with the City v Country games being planned to coincide with Junior Gala Days.

Also positive to see forward planning for the 3rd Grade competition and an attempt to get Deni and Hay with some more variety in their footy.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If Womens' Rugby goes to 10 a Side and 40 min games (2 x 20 min halves) that will make it an eraly start to the day if 3rd Grade is being played as well and possibly U/17s ??
Was there any Update on Referee Numbers because they will need more experienced Referees for Womens 10s
The only way they could have a Bye for a Medals function would be after the last Round of the Comp and before Week 1 of the Finals which would be dumb
No Female on the Board also looks a bit odd with the growth of Girl's and Women's Rugby being highlighted in recent years
The SIRU Board might be like the current Liberal Party - No Room for the Females in the decision making roles
For Deni & Hay to get more variety with their Footy all teams in the Thirsty 3rds have to do more travelling on a more regular basis
Looks like lots of changes are being looked at for 2019

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Was there any Update on Referee Numbers because they will need more experienced Referees for Womens 10s

Referee numbers will likely stay as is for 2019 which is 8 regular referees to cover 16 games.

SIRRA would welcome all rugby fans who are keen to cross the white line and are working with the Board and Community Rugby Staff to promote numbers for 2019.

The reality is that it will be a 3-5 year focus to improve referee numbers.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
These byes for rep weekends and medal presentation are not a good idea. I can’t believe clubs meekly agree to 5 general byes in a 14 round comp. Doesn’t anybody else consider this ridiculous?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
There was comment that there were too many byes - my understanding was that the format isn't finalised and the competition manager was going to get further feedback from the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.