• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
We really do have some excellent referees. In the old days when the social side of rugby was a lot bigger than it is today the refs would generally stay around and have a few beverages after the game. If we are to get more good quality referees we need to make the whole experience an enjoyable one. And we need to remunerate them appropriately. Travel expenses and at least $100+ a game for 1st grade games. Maybe that’s not enough.It should be a requirement that all clubs have refs qualified enough to do games below top grade. I know it’s not going to happen in the short term but that’s where we should be heading.

I reckon there is something to investigate here mate.
Now there are obviously funding issues which would surround this as far as course costs go.
If each club is required to have 6 qualified referees in their club we’d go a long way towards solving the issue. 6 is a big number however this would result in these people not being required to referee every weekend. You will uncover potentially 2 to 3 referees capable of climbing and developing into 1st grade referees this way. But will increase depth and at worst have properly referees 3rd grade games each weekend. Plenty to iron out but I think it is worth looking into. Current players, recently retired, people who love the game but can’t play for some reason or another.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Clubs should have refs as part of the club. 3rds, Girls and 2nds should be reffed by home club refs. 1sts should be done by impartial refs. Enough 1st grade refs should be put on retainer throughout the season by Siru to cover 1st grade games. The retainer should be financially attractive enough to attract quality officials. The Siru committee would hopefully provide appropriate professional development opportunities so we could develop this situation for referees of all our grades. If we want to play and watch the game we should expect to pay accordingly. At the moment we’re getting what we’re paying for.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Where is all the money coming from?

Putting refs on a retainer throughout the season is paying them not to referee when they are unavailable?

Also when does a referee stop being a club referee and start being a SIRA referee?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Fair dinkum Bandar. It’s been suggested we could have a critical shortage of refs this year. I suggested clubs develop their own group of referees to make sure minor games have qualified officials for their home games. Then you complain well if we solve that problem when will these home club refs become Sira refs. Mate we haven’t even got to square one yet.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
My main question is where does the money come from to pay referees a retainer for the weekends they are not refereeing?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Also great to see the number of current and ex SIRU playing in the Super W this weekend.

Cessy Smith from Leeton has made the Reds starting backline with a couple of current Walaroos on the bench.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Griffith have a trial next weekend against a couple of sth coast teams. Even at this early stage Waratahs and Aggies look like they might dominate. CSU and Griffith have 3rds. The no.s at training here at Griffith can depend on shift work rosters so hopefully our situation will improve in the next few weeks. Reasoning is right. Big scores eventuate when low no.s travel. When Waratahs travel to play, you know they will have 3 full well drilled teams. As it should be.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Can anyone remember who won the 1st ever Bill Castle Medal and what year was it ?
Secondly, any updates on the Rep Program - how many training runs have been held and can somebody let me know if Waratahs have nominated any players for this year's Rep Squad ?
5 Weeks to go before the Comp kicks off and it will be interesting to see how many Trial s have been organised

Rep training this Sunday.
7 or 8 from Tahs have nominated from what I’ve heard.
Rep trial vs Uni Norths on the 23rd of March at Tumut

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good to see some chat out there about the rep program, I'm hearing some good vibes from around the grounds for the competition kick off.

It's also encouraging to see good numbers putting their hands up for Coaching and Refereeing Course attendance in Leeton and Wagga. Leeton, Reddies, Griffith and Tumut have got good numbers along to those courses with a good spread across the Senior and Junior clubs there also.

It's interesting to hear how far and wide the clubs are travelling for trial games. The Griffith Blacks are keen as a green bean, heading down the Bateman's Bay for a trial this weekend. Wagga City come in a distant 2nd with a trial at Hall.

For those closer to Wagga, the Kapooka Tens will see Waratahs, Reddies and Hay represented for a run against some Army outfits.

16th March will see Reddies head up to Tumut for a trial. Waratahs are off to Boorowa for the 15's Gala Day over there which sounds like a solid day out.

23rd March is the SIRU Rep Trials up at Tumut, with a solid day of rugby up there. Uni Norths are bringing 1st, 2nd, Colts and Women's.

23rd March also sees the Steamers hosting Melbourne Uni and Reddies for a trial match down there while Hay will host the West Wyalong Weevils in Hay.

That's all I've got team, if you're aware of any other trials etc, post them here!

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The city of Wagga has the quality and quantity of rugby players to have 4 strong clubs. The best thing that could happen is a meeting between administrations of the 4 clubs to plan for the future of rugby in Wagga. The demise of Reddies is not going to help the boiled lollies much if at all.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
The city of Wagga has the quality and quantity of rugby players to have 4 strong clubs. The best thing that could happen is a meeting between administrations of the 4 clubs to plan for the future of rugby in Wagga. The demise of Reddies is not going to help the boiled lollies much if at all.

City trialed in Hall (Canberra) in 2 mens grades and 1 womens over the weekend with very positive results against some solid opposition ( Hall Bushrangers & Uni Norths) . Citys new coaching team seemed happy with the results but very aware that there is a long way to go for the Citymen. The womens had some good results as well and are building solidly. 42 men and 12 girls made the trip plus a solid core of supporters.

I'm not sure what that last statement actually means ? Numbers have not been City's major problem the last 6 or so years. And apart from last season (which we or anyone in the rugby world cant deny was horrific) we have been reasonably solid on the field. Rather than talk about demises , can we discuss what can we do to assist here ? A 7 team comp is not a scenario we would want to look at as a code or a comp. Reddies probably need to to help themselves first but are we at the point where perhaps SIRU needs to assist them for the sake of the game ? How do the other clubs help them ? Donate players (not going to happen i suspect) ? Allow Reddies to access to juniors first ? The issue is that Reddies were a University club and now seem to be incapable of attracting the uni students. Its a hard fix with very few easy solutions 4 weeks out from the comp start.

I'd also be concerned that a Rugby League side won a 10's Rugby comp on the weekend as well !

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
Ag college apparently have a blockbuster trial booked in away against Forbes on 30th March, also hearing Gabe Brown has returned after a year away which will sure up their front row stocks.
In regards to the demise of clubs, player numbers can take several years to build up. The reddies have a new president and coach who are both highly regarded, and they will set that club on a positive direction. Build it, and they will come.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
City trialed in Hall (Canberra) in 2 mens grades and 1 womens over the weekend with very positive results against some solid opposition ( Hall Bushrangers & Uni Norths) . Citys new coaching team seemed happy with the results but very aware that there is a long way to go for the Citymen. The womens had some good results as well and are building solidly. 42 men and 12 girls made the trip plus a solid core of supporters.

Ag college apparently have a blockbuster trial booked in away against Forbes on 30th March, also hearing Gabe Brown has returned after a year away which will sure up their front row stocks.
In regards to the demise of clubs, player numbers can take several years to build up. The reddies have a new president and coach who are both highly regarded, and they will set that club on a positive direction. Build it, and they will come.

Good to see some positive chat there fellas, I agree with Old Fart, let's see what guys like Shoody and Co can do with Reddies. I think having guys like that around the club will help build good culture, I'd like to see them get back to their previous strength soon.

Those numbers are certainly positive for City and I'm keen to see how JC goes this season from a coaching perspective. no doubt guys like Moona et al will be happy to see some younge rblood taking on roles within the club. Well done.

Also good to see guys like Gabe Brown running around for Aggies again, Gabe's biggest issue is that he drinks middies. If he can progress onto schooners, I think he would make a much more rounded front rower.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
It looks like City are in the process of turning things around. Well done to them. With a new coaching staff and president maybe Reddies will start a re-building phase as well. Griffith just finished in front of City and Reddies last year and they just had a successful weekend of trials against Batemans Bay and Kiama. Forgive me for being less positive than other people Sam but I remember some of the centuries scored last season. I know we all hope the bottom 3 teams bridge the gap somewhat on the top 5.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The city of Wagga has the quality and quantity of rugby players to have 4 strong clubs. The best thing that could happen is a meeting between administrations of the 4 clubs to plan for the future of rugby in Wagga.......

You can’t really expect the clubs to suddenly band together and help an ailing member out. The priority is and always should be your own club first. What if SIRU was to limit senior registration numbers per club? I fail to see the benefit of a club locking up 90 players for 45 playing spots. Maybe a 70 player limit os something like that, and then as players are injured or move the clubs can add to their numbers as needed?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
You’re kidding kartman. What’s the matter with you Wagga people. Have you ever heard of the concept of co-operation. Waratahs 100 Reddies 0. Yeah mate let’s keep that scenario.