• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
If you add a 2nd grade, 3rd grade and ladies. Side through the teams tab at the bottom you can then see we that conpetition once you’ve clicked on the comp tab. There is a drop down to scroll between competitions once in there

Got it, thanks Mauler :)

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Reddies borrowed at least 5 players for 2nd grade. They wanted to borrow one for 1st grade as well. A spirited group of young men. Played their hearts out. Apparently Blacks 1st grade played well last week against Leeton. They looked pretty average on Saturday. Why can’t we have a Face book page where all teams are posted on by Friday. All results 1,2,3 and girls posted on by Saturday 6:30. Great interest I’m sure by rugby followers. Just need clubs to co-operate.

Great idea PB.
Reckon everyone would get around that mate

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
We know from the past the rep situation won’t attract the best players, Whistle. I don’t want to get into a big argument with Mauler about it though. I’ve been watching the Folau thing in the papers. I’m not so much worried about the homophobia involved. What about us drunks and fornicaters. What about those of us who have statues of John Eales we worship in front of. Nobody’s worried about the rest of us Israel has offended.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
We know from the past the rep situation won’t attract the best players, Whistle. I don’t want to get into a big argument with Mauler about it though. I’ve been watching the Folau thing in the papers. I’m not so much worried about the homophobia involved. What about us drunks and fornicaters. What about those of us who have statues of John Eales we worship in front of. Nobody’s worried about the rest of us Israel has offended.

No I agree PB. We don’t necessarily get the best nominating. However I’ll pose this question. Would you want a player you rate at 100/100 whom isn’t interested and puts in 60%. Or a bloke who’s number 2 in the zone and plays at 100% because he’s keen.

I don’t have a solution on how to get the best playing and keen to put in.

Also, and I reckon this is the Intetesting part, is your best the same as my best the same as joe blows best and does this stay the same throughout the whole season?

No arguments here simply a thought or question

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I know in rugby league they stand selected players down if they won’t play rep. That does seem ridiculous. What you’re saying Mauler does make sense. Let’s hope the rep players have a great time this year.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I know in rugby league they stand selected players down if they won’t play rep. That does seem ridiculous. What you’re saying Mauler does make sense. Let’s hope the rep players have a great time this year.

I agree re the RL scenario. Ridiculous.

One thing I’ve always noticed is the stars of the zone seem to be older players. Potentially a scenario where their reputation precedes them round here. I also look at these blokes and a huge amount have played in the past and are just at a point where they’re happy to have a break and let the next generation come through.

I don’t know the answer on how to change.
I do agree that if the players who are selected have a great time it’s important.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Round 3 matches this Saturday

Waratahs v Aggies- Match of the Round- Replay of last year's Grand Final - - Aggies have started well with consecutive wins over CSU & Leeton - wouldn't take much notice of the win over Reddies but a solid win against the Phantoms in Leeton is good form for this match. Waratahs bounced back well from their shock loss to City in Round 1 with an impressive win over the Albury Steamers on April 13. Waratahs to prove they are still the team to beat this year with a narrow win (less than 10)over WAC at Conolly this Saturday- Should be a great encounter

Griffith v City- Should be a good game - City on the road again after losing to Tumut in Round 2 which probably brought them back to earth after their upset win over Waratahs to kick off the Comp on April 5. Grifiith play at home again after defeating CSU in their last match but they piled on most of their points late in the 2nd half to win 55-21.If City travel with their best available team they might just have enough class to outlast the Blacks - City by less than 10

CSU v Tumut - Tumut are chasing a hat trick and will run out comfortable winners over the struggling Reddies - The Bulls by 40+

Leeton v Albury- Albury are on the road after a comprehensive loss to Waratahs in their last match will face a very difficult assignment against Leeton who lacked discipline and composure in their loss to Ag College in Round 2- Leeton by 20+

Can’t disagree with the tips mate.
conolly rugby park should see a belter.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Waratahs v Aggies- what a game
Griffith v City- Blacks need to improve a lot
CSU v Tumut- hopefully Bulls are a bit understanding
Albury v Leeton - maybe Leeton win but Steamers have more upside than the Phantoms

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think the score Griffith v City was 42 - 32. Blacks only got going midway 2nd half. They looked really good from that point on. Previous to that City was in control.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
G’day Paul, you need to get the Rugby Xplorer app and someone from the Blacks needs to learn how to use it. It currently has a 40-0 win to City. Other results are Tahs over Aggies 52-24, Tumut over CSU 24-7 and Leeton over Albury 40-19. The app is live and for a portion of the CSU Tumut match it was 7-7, CSU do seem to have improved each week. I also believe they were the Wagga TV match so will have to catch it on YouTube.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Thanks Bandar. Will do re app. Looks like Waratahs will have that class edge over everyone else again this season. Good on CSU. Albury a bit disappointing so far this year. City a good team. Seemed to lose interest in last 20 mins. Blacks showed potential and could beat Steamers next week. Commitment to training and travel could be a problem as the season unfolds.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
If the ‘ previous relationship’ referee appointment is inevitable is the situation of bias also inevitable, Whistle? I’m not saying that this occurred in the Waratahs v Aggies game on Saturday. I wasn’t there so wouldn’t know what happened. It’s just that you don’t address this part of Reasoning’s post.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
At the end of the Day you can't do much about it
Hardly any Referees in the Zone and its a given that an ex player or official will have to look after one of his Ex Clubs matches
I take your point about the BIG matches say 1st v 2nd, 1st v 3rd and 2nd v 3rd being looked after by an independent Referee but once again Availability is probably the key

I hope this comment isn't an inference of bias by a referee. I'd like to understand where the line should be drawn for a referee in terms of their club background? Don't you want referee's with playing experience officiating the game? Where do you guys think referees come from? Hint - The Referee Fairy doesn't exist.

I refereed the Waratahs v Ag College GF last year that saw Waratahs win. I played for Waratahs, won Premierships with them and Coached with them. Do you think I gave up my Saturday's for 9 years to achieve that outcome?

Aggies would be pretty upset with several decisions in their match yesterday at Conolly - 2 Yellow Cards and a Red Card dealt out by the the Referee ?
Waratahs back to their snarly best and basically wre given free rein over their younger opponents by the Man in charge (who is apparently an ex - president of their Club)
Probably be seen as sour grapes but lets hope future matches between these 2 Clubs are officiated by someone who hasn't played or officiated for the Premiers
The Red Card was a complete over reaction by the Referee and Aggies no doubt will fight the charge strnuously - the Send Off took the game out of Aggies hands who were fighting back valiantly at the Time

This sounds like an accusation of cheating to me and you really need to pull your head in mate. Maybe you should come along to a Foundation Course and work through the points that go into refereeing a game of footy. Or better yet, come down and look after a couple of Junior Matches at the next Gala Day, PM me your details and I'll get you a gig.

From where I sat on Saturday, the tackle that resulted in the Red Card was clear and obvious. The referee reacted appropriately and applied the correct sanction - Tip tackle, past horizontal, point of contact with the ground was head/neck = Red Card. Safety remains the absolute priority for any referee and should also be a mainstay of any coach and player. The alternative is not good. What Ag College choose to do in reaction to that is part of the judiciary case and I'd expect them to look at the scenario and defend their player as they see fit.

The guys from Ag College that I spoke to after the game were pretty aware that there was some stuff they needed to work, they were disappointed with the loss but upbeat about where they are in the season and know that they can do better.

I saw the win from Waratahs was actually pretty gutsy, take that how you want to. For those in the know, you'll take that comment with the grain of salt that it's intended. Or in Waratah's case, maybe a little less salt? Is there a "diet" alternative to salt?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If the ‘ previous relationship’ referee appointment is inevitable is the situation of bias also inevitable, Whistle? I’m not saying that this occurred in the Waratahs v Aggies game on Saturday. I wasn’t there so wouldn’t know what happened. It’s just that you don’t address this part of Reasoning’s post.

I'll address it for you Paul.

Think through what happens in a game of rugby. There are roughly 150 rucks/mauls in a game of rugby and an average of 20-25 penalties in a game. 30 players on a field to manage and communicate with in roughly 2-5 second blocks while keeping the ball in play for roughly 40% of the time. The average time the ball spends in a ruck is 5 seconds. That's a fair bit going on in a match don't you think - where's the time to consider bias?

Before that ruck, the referee is determining if there is 1. A legal tackle, 2. Has the tackler separated, 3. Has the arriving player entered the ruck correctly.

Once the ruck is formed (can anyone give me the definition of a ruck?), the referee then turns their thinking the the defending team fighting for possession (entry, on feet etc), defensive offside lines etc and the follow the ball as it moves across the field.

Apply some level of thought process to how you can possibly be biased in that decision making process. Then add another layer over it to think about why a volunteer gives up their time to drive all over the Riverina on a Saturday to referee a game that they may come across a club they played for years ago in an effort to influence a game of park footy.

The comments about bias don't hold water fellas, not in any way.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Just from your post above Sam it is obvious rugby is a complex game to play and an even more complex game to referee. And sometimes difficult to understand from outside the field of play. Whistle Happy didn’t infer bias. He just alluded to the fact that appointments of referees to games involving clubs they had previous associations with was unavoidable given the small pool of referees we have. Reasoning is obviously associated with the Aggies club and because of that saw things unfold differently to yourself. He is entitled to his opinion. I have seen you referee on numerous occasions Sam. You are an excellent referee.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
What - an opposition captain seeing one pf his players lifted beyond the horizontal and his shoulder/neck/head hitting the ground first asked the referee to bring out a card?

I can believe it, what has rugby come to when captains ask the referee to issue cards to infringing opposition players?

In case people are unsure - I'm being sarcastic.

I wasn't there but nobody has refuted the description of the tackle so I assume it happened & the judiciary will deal with it.

As for cards, personally I think there are too many of them in the game these days, you can barely get through a match at any level without one or both teams spending time with 14 on the field - I hear someone was red carded for dropping an intercept in the Shute Shield on the weekend. If that's happening then a spear tackle will always be red.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Can’t have been much in that red card to only get 1 week. Time to move on to footy.

My tips are City, WAC, Tahs, Griffith.

Good luck all

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Hope Reddies can keep improving. Really interesting to see if Bulls and Phantoms can test these 2 top teams. Aggies and Waratahs stand out already this season. Blacks should beat Steamers up here. We’ve had big no.s at training this week. Am I reading it correctly from Mauler? The red card from Aggies got a 1 week suspension?