• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2021

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Top 4 on the ladder will stay in that order. Blacks aren’t promising to do too much but Tumut have no hope of advancing given their draw.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Looks like we may have potential for some 'classic' rugby conditions for the weekends games. Anywhere up to 45mm on various grounds should make for some riveting forward battles .

This round ? Hard to see any shocks but I would not mind if there was !
Tahs will out last the Blacks. I keep waiting for the Griffith men to really come out of the shell but i think Tahs at home will be too much for them. Tahs 1-12 .
Albury will be champing at the bit. From all accounts they should have done a lot better against Reddies. House & Brighty will be looking for a solid win to lock 3rd spot on the ladder down. Steamers 13 +

I'm tipping City, Griffith, Tumut & Albury in the womens X's matches.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Agree Reasoning Griffith played their best game this season. Thought Waratahs just couldn’t get going. Every time they looked like getting a roll on they were called back. I think Waratahs were exposed though with Blacks making numerous breaks around the edges. Aggies seem to be improving. They might add some interest in the 2nd half of the season.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I thought Griffith very unlucky on saturday.Large portions of that game they were by far the better team. Though to be fair Tahs work at the breakdown as well as set piece in second half really put them up against it.Some wayward kicking and a crucial missed penalty was the other issue that would have had a coach tearing hair out.
I did note that the Tahs prop deliberatley kicked the ball out to the end the game...

I think on that showing alone blacks have more than enough firepower to threaten the sides above them.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
i'm not inferring that it should have been a penalty. I am just noting that it was extremely similar circumstances and that a different result from it occurred.

I think we would all agree that the action taken by the referee in this instance was the correct one.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
What happened re the incident at the end of the Blacks v Steamers game. The ref signalled a kicking the ball out motion as the reason for the now infamous penalty. I mean was the situation deemed as an accidental mistake?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Another short round of games this week. I think Tumut would be looking forward to playing someone apart from Tahs and City!

Griffith v Tumut - the blacks played well but without much luck against tahs and probably need a little polish in some areas of their game. I cant see Tumut winning this but i reckon it will be a good game regardless. Griffith 1-12

Tahs v City - a game that everyone involved looks forward to! Both sides have changed since the Rnd 3 outing and whilst i am definitely tipping a City win. With a cold miserable day forecast i'm tipping a close one. City 1-12

In the girls I'm running with Blacks , City, Reddies & Albury.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Good old fashioned game on saturday. Fair bit of fire and the banter on the field at times was quality! It was a shame the Bar TV people couldnt cover the game. Not sure of reason but im sure Rona was invoked at some point.

Griffith really needed that win to stay in touch and i think you can safely say Tumut wont make it now. Theyd need to win the rest of their games ( Aggies A, Albury H , Reddies A, Tahs H & City A) to make it secure. Or at least get some very good results go their way.

Apart from a double bye, Tahs have Albury H , Tumut A , Griffith H & Reddies A in the run to september.

City have Reddies H , Aggies A , Giffith H , Albury A and Tumut H.

Albury play Griffith H , Tumut A , Tahs A ,City H and then a bye before semis.

Youd say top 2 are locks . The fight for 3 and 4 will be very interesting!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
All the best with the move Reasoning.

Albury v Griffith - should be match of the round ( hopefully its streamed!!) and will have a major bearing on the 3/4 position on the ladder. At home for Albury its hard to go past them. But Griffith have traveled well lately and are starting to play some good footy. I think this will be a tight one . Albury1-12

WAC v Tumut - I dont know what to make of this . Tumut should win this but there is a nagging doubt in my head . i just worry that Tumut wont be able to really put Aggies away. Tumut 1-12

City v Reddies - Its a big day with our multicultural day and with the sensational Indigenous jerseys being worn. We have a near full strength side back as well. City 13 +

In the girls - Albury, Aggies , City & Tahs

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Thought Blacks were lucky to get as close as they did to Waratahs when they last played but yesterday Blacks were clearly better than Steamers. Watched the stream. How good was the ref. That guy is very good. Don’t entirely agree with you Athol. Blacks improving. They are getting more consistency in terms of getting the same team on the paddock & will keep on getting better. Don’t write off Waratahs. They too have plenty of time to get their ducks in order.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I suspect there will be some interested observers of what happens now that there is a hard border between Vic and NSW again. Given the issues that occurred a few months back we may see further disruptions possibly . Hopefully not !

Good result for The Blacks in Albury. Very impressive effort . A surge from Tumut in the back end of the season may also have the steamers looking over their shoulders as well. Its not as cut and dried as suggested !

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
The forecast doesnt look good for weekend but the the games should make up for it.

The key game is Tumut v Albury . Tumut wins , then the final four scenario changes. It really is a must win game for both sides. I think Tumut can do it . Bulls 1-12
Blacks should account for Reddies i think. Reddies are triers but Blacks have too much firepower and should rattle up some points at home . Griffith by 25 plus
Aggies V City . A wet track could play a bit of a bearing on this. Aggies work at the break down and tenacious attitude will make hard work for City , slowing us down as much as possible. City 13 plus

Womens games : Albury , Tahs ,Blacks & City

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I saw some pictures of Twickenham 2 and it looked like it was a rice paddy not a rugby ground . If that was the standard , what did Jarrah look like ??

Some seriously ordinary weather on Saturday, kudos to all the teams involved. Especially the Aggies and City girls that had to slog it out in a complete mud heap of a ground ! Classic rugby weather !

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Is my maths right Athol? If Rd 9 Blacks v Steamers resulted in a Griffith win instead of a draw would your predictions end up with Bulls & Steamers ending the season level on points? I ask the question again, what was the end result of the situation regarding the kicking out penalty in that game? Silence is deafening. Was the decision deemed as an accidental mistake?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Is my maths right Athol? If Rd 9 Blacks v Steamers resulted in a Griffith win instead of a draw would your predictions end up with Bulls & Steamers ending the season level on points? I ask the question again, what was the end result of the situation regarding the kicking out penalty in that game? Silence is deafening. Was the decision deemed as an accidental mistake?

I reckon you'd need to find the big bit of carpet that it was swept under to get the answer to that !

My tips for this week ?
Tahs by lots against Albury. I think the ongoing border shenanigans, unclear bubbles and player reluctance is going to hit Albury hard. I seriously doubt there will be 2's or womens games this week again.

Griffith to rattle up some points against Aggies at home . Word is that The Blacks rested a few last week. I expect at least a 25 point margin in this game.

Reddies will rattle the Bulls cage at the slosh pit that is Beres Ellowood Oval . But Bulls will pull away and win that , adding to there final four charge. With Alburys ongoing issues , the confidence in Tumut would be rising !

In the girls Reddies, Leeton, Tahs & Griffith .

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Good results for Tumut and Griffith on weekend. Got the job done in what was another weekend of trying conditions.

I do have a great deal of understanding for Albury and their situation , i am also concerned that the nature of the comp is being skewed by the scoreless draws. Its not affecting the top of the ladder in either 1's or 2's but it is affecting the 3 v 4 battles in all grades bar 3's.

I hope Albury plays but i cant see it happening.